• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

1dog

Cannon and Waterville both state they are over 4k elevations. (Cannon definitely, Waterville umm...)
Thats true, only skied WV a handful of times, that's where one customer has a place - last time I looked, 140-150" a year. Cannon more fun, but I've never been there when it wasn't windblown - all that north wind gets funneled between Lafayette and Cannon into the Notch. That Kinsman trail though, reminds me of Castlerock. Does it ever have enough snow to open?

Puck it

Thats true, only skied WV a handful of times, that's where one customer has a place - last time I looked, 140-150" a year. Cannon more fun, but I've never been there when it wasn't windblown - all that north wind gets funneled between Lafayette and Cannon into the Notch. That Kinsman trail though, reminds me of Castlerock. Does it ever have enough snow to open?
Yes it does and you can ski it from the top along with everything to the left and right. Best terrain on the mountain. 2K glade.

The top of WV is not above 4K. Tescumsch is though.

Btw, real estate taxes are made up of town, state, county and school. Each have a different rate. There are place with very low tax rates like Lincoln and Bartlett. They have a lot of condos and vacation homes that do use the infrastructure. Also in MA, Nantucket tax rate is $3 per$1000 assessment. Another fact.

1dog

$3? No services and avg $3M price tag. Great place to go if you don't want people dropping in too.

Newcastle NH has lowest tax rate on the state last I knew - if you can afford to buy there.

ducky

Picked up a gentleman hitchhiking a few years back going from Littleton to Sugar Hill. I say gentleman as he was wearing a button-down shirt with an ascot and khakis and carrying multiple bags of shopping, not your usual I-93 sight. We got to talking ski racing as we could see Franconia Notch from the truck and my son was racing overseas at the time. He was very knowledgeable going back to the 70s and knew everyone in the racing circles. Turned out to be Bode Miller's uncle just out doing some shopping and didn't own a car. New Hampshire!

djd66

Picked up a gentleman hitchhiking a few years back going from Littleton to Sugar Hill. I say gentleman as he was wearing a button-down shirt with an ascot and khakis and carrying multiple bags of shopping, not your usual I-93 sight. We got to talking ski racing as we could see Franconia Notch from the truck and my son was racing overseas at the time. He was very knowledgeable going back to the 70s and knew everyone in the racing circles. Turned out to be Bode Miller's uncle just out doing some shopping and didn't own a car. New Hampshire!
Great story,... thanks for sharing!

djd66

Turning into deer valley?
How much were you expecting them to charge? Given how much money they are going to lose this season, I have no issue with them being creative to create new revenue streams.

Slidebrook87

Really hoping that Sugarbush can get their webcams up again soon. It’s impossible to see snowmaking progress from the golf course...

cdskier

Really hoping that Sugarbush can get their webcams up again soon. It’s impossible to see snowmaking progress from the golf course...

They're technically up, just not visible from the site. Here's the current view from the Super Bravo cam:

1607351277724.png

Blurski

How much were you expecting them to charge? Given how much money they are going to lose this season, I have no issue with them being creative to create new revenue streams.
Seems in line as Clay Brook starts at $569/night and goes up from there.

HowieT2

I'm all for SB being creative, especially this season. No one is forcing you to use these cabins. But there are people who are thrilled to have the option to use them.
and not for nothing, but those things did cost something to build.

mikec142

and not for nothing, but those things did cost something to build.
Totally.

There are those who object to any type of change...especially if they perceive that someone else is "gaining" from it. It's the if I have to rough it and warm up in my car, then everyone should have to rough it just like me mentality.

1dog

Totally.

There are those who object to any type of change...especially if they perceive that someone else is "gaining" from it. It's the if I have to rough it and warm up in my car, then everyone should have to rough it just like me mentality.
Same with 1st tracks in the Cat way back when - if someone wants to spend that kinda dough on 1st runs on Spring Fling God Bless 'em! Human nature I guess, we always look up instead of down. We were built on equal opportunity not equal outcomes. If I had to dough, I'd consider a mobile home for base lodging and lunch too!

mikec142

Same with 1st tracks in the Cat way back when - if someone wants to spend that kinda dough on 1st runs on Spring Fling God Bless 'em! Human nature I guess, we always look up instead of down. We were built on equal opportunity not equal outcomes. If I had to dough, I'd consider a mobile home for base lodging and lunch too!
Yep. I feel the same way. Would love to spend the money to rent one of these cabins. Would make my life so much easier. But other spending/savings plans take precedence. Happy for those who choose to make use of the cabins. Such is life.

Powder Whore

I'm curious to see what the policy will be for these when there not rented? It would be nice if they were open to mid-week skiers for short lunch breaks. Given the state of the world right now I doubt it though.