• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

KustyTheKlown

@WinS - do you have any insight you would be willing to share regarding patrol's willingness to open terrain in marginal conditions? one thing i always loved about sugarbush during your tenure was that there was a very noticeable 'let them ski it' vibe to opening terrain. I've skied castlerock and paradise in some extremely sketchy thin conditions. you guys would mark it as sketchy at the top and say ski at your own risk. this week, it seemed to me patrol was holding back on some things that would have been open previously. specifically, paradise was a little sketchy but had enough snow to be open (maybe they want to dissuade people from hiking towards castlerock and the church?), twist and moonshine would have been open, and lower snowball is closed right now but 100% tracked out and packed down from people accessing via eden, but still officially closed. not complaining, just curious. cheers.

WinS

Does anyone know if the shuttle bus is running? I checked the schedule online and it was still last year’s schedule.
@WinS - do you have any insight you would be willing to share regarding patrol's willingness to open terrain in marginal conditions? one thing i always loved about sugarbush during your tenure was that there was a very noticeable 'let them ski it' vibe to opening terrain. I've skied castlerock and paradise in some extremely sketchy thin conditions. you guys would mark it as sketchy at the top and say ski at your own risk. this week, it seemed to me patrol was holding back on some things that would have been open previously. specifically, paradise was a little sketchy but had enough snow to be open (maybe they want to dissuade people from hiking towards castlerock and the church?), twist and moonshine would have been open, and lower snowball is closed right now but 100% tracked out and packed down from people accessing via eden, but still officially closed. not complaining, just curious. cheers.
As far as I know nothing has changed. Same team that made the calls for me, With only 4“ the first down might enjoy it, but not enough to take traffic and hold up. All the trails have water bars which can be very hazardous if not covered properly.

Slidebrook87

Lower Snowball was roped off, but a patroller was letting people access it via eden. It had pretty good snow at the top and bottom. Spillsville was good since it had no ice, but definitely not something you want to ski if you care about your skis. Tons of rocks, grass, roots, etc, but I was glad to see a natural trail open. Overall today was pretty good, especially on some of the early runs at Ellen. Rim Run and Elbow were great. Lincoln in the afternoon was good, but spring fling, organgrinder, downspout and ripcord were pretty much sheets of ice, which is typical.

Attachments

• 4E459CCB-D6EB-4BCB-A518-F4D2082829B1.jpeg
    4E459CCB-D6EB-4BCB-A518-F4D2082829B1.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 17
  • D3BF2167-5D86-4215-AB0F-3ADC2785072D.jpeg
    D3BF2167-5D86-4215-AB0F-3ADC2785072D.jpeg
    5.4 MB · Views: 16
  • 49D8B5B9-6C1F-4143-85E6-382485DB3478.jpeg
    49D8B5B9-6C1F-4143-85E6-382485DB3478.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 16
  • 1C9224AA-9E68-4096-9A8F-7EE14A945040.jpeg
    1C9224AA-9E68-4096-9A8F-7EE14A945040.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 14

HowieT2

Super jealous. Skied Windham today. First day of the season. Actually first time since 2/2/20 when I tore a calf muscle. Surprised how tentative I was today. But c'est la vie. Can't wait to get back to SB.
Skied killington. First turns since last February. Felt great. Crowds manageable. Great snow. Beautiful day.

shadyjay

Website
linktr.ee
According to this evening's snow report, looks like Lower Snowball has been added to the mix.

I will admit that my years working on the team, I noticed the ski patrol dropped the ropes quicker than other resorts down south would have. Perhaps its the better ability of skiers up here. Patrol knew that by putting up a few discos (thin cover, etc), you could deter those who wanted to stick with groomers, but also give those with the ability a bit of a challenge. Going on that assumption, I wouldn't tread on any trail with a rope up. If its closed, it's closed for a reason. And I definitely wouldn't be advertising here about ducking ropes.

One of my best runs was on my birthday a few years ago... after slashing though Murphys, I got to the entrance to Lower Birdland right when the rope was dropped. It was go time. I was so tired from working the previous night snowmaking, but had an absolute blast heading down, and hearing the cheers from the crowd on Bravo above...Win included! Then, flat ass into that big waterbar near the bottom. Still, one of the best runs I've ever had on that trail, and what a great memory!

Hawk

The Forums are directly below me. They seldom come up for sale. I might have changed now with the ongoing sell-a-thon. Anybody that I have talk to says they are in good condition and work well. Units have 3 to 5 bedrooms . They have been on the pricy side at any ware from $350K to $550K. I know that some of the well known old time Sugarbush people have lived there. With a very short walk they are ski in/Ski out. Used to be better before the Rice brook and Gadd brook buildings were put in. They have a garage so that is awesome. I think wood is supplied as part of the fees. Not sure of the Monthly/Quarterly HOA expenses.

CastlerockMRV

The Forums are directly below me. They seldom come up for sale. I might have changed now with the ongoing sell-a-thon. Anybody that I have talk to says they are in good condition and work well. Units have 3 to 5 bedrooms . They have been on the pricy side at any ware from $350K to $550K. I know that some of the well known old time Sugarbush people have lived there. With a very short walk they are ski in/Ski out. Used to be better before the Rice brook and Gadd brook buildings were put in. They have a garage so that is awesome. I think wood is supplied as part of the fees. Not sure of the Monthly/Quarterly HOA expenses.
They probably aren't all like this since it was a remodel but they look pretty sweet: https://newschoolbuilders.com/portfolio-condo-forum-sugarbush.php

CastlerockMRV

Out of curiosity...anyone able to share which complexes have more favorable HOA fees? I'm a year or 2 out from buying but it seems like a ton of the more moderately priced units are near $1k/mo..is that the norm?

Hawk

No that is not. Funny we were just doing a research for a comparison sheet and asking around because someone said we were high at $425/mo. We found that we are average. But some complexes have assessment for everything including common area maintenance. others are higher but include things like wood and have a pool and large landscaped areas. So like everything else it's what is included for what you pay. Does anybody have any actuals to add to this discussion?

cdskier

Mine is just under $300/mo at North Lynx...but it varies a lot depending on the size of your unit. I believe mine is on the lower end at North Lynx. We're an older complex, and sometimes do have special assessments if any big repair/maintenance items come up.

On another note, I just bit the bullet this morning and called Waitsfield Telecom to have them install Internet in my condo so I can work remotely this winter. My plan is to come up sometime in early January after quarantining after the holidays.

KustyTheKlown

oh man, you're so lucky to have that option. i was officially on leave, but i checked in to work often while i was up there, and i could totally get used to living that life all the time while working. just cant carry two homes yet, or make the full move north. jealous. good for you

cdskier

oh man, you're so lucky to have that option. i was officially on leave, but i checked in to work often while i was up there, and i could totally get used to living that life all the time while working. just cant carry two homes yet, or make the full move north. jealous. good for you

I don't think I could make a full/permanent move north, but at least temporary for the winter should be interesting. The condo in VT is the only home I own. (I bought my vacation home before a real one lol...but NJ prices are crazy by me while the VT condo was relatively cheap).

thetrailboss

Staff member
Mine is just under $300/mo at North Lynx...but it varies a lot depending on the size of your unit. I believe mine is on the lower end at North Lynx. We're an older complex, and sometimes do have special assessments if any big repair/maintenance items come up.

On another note, I just bit the bullet this morning and called Waitsfield Telecom to have them install Internet in my condo so I can work remotely this winter. My plan is to come up sometime in early January after quarantining after the holidays.
That's awesome

CastlerockMRV

The data I'm seeing online must just be off re: my $1k/mo comment

https://sugarbushrealestate.com/listing/4841776/161-mountainside-drive-warren-vt-05674/ - $1,431
https://sugarbushrealestate.com/listing/4825973/251-mountainside-drive-warren-vt-05674/ - $1,571

Can't imagine these are the right numbers for those Mountainside Condos -- unless the number is for the full year?

Maybe that's it since it's $421 for this larger more updated unit at North Lynx which is inline w/ the numbers Hawk and cdskier mentioned: https://sugarbushrealestate.com/listing/4815555/43-hobbit-hill-warren-vt-05674/

But then again $755 for a 1BR at Christmas Tree seems high even if you're getting unlimited firewood and utilities covered: https://sugarbushrealestate.com/listing/4837775/18-christmas-tree-road-warren-vt-05674/

cdskier

The data I'm seeing online must just be off re: my $1k/mo comment

https://sugarbushrealestate.com/listing/4841776/161-mountainside-drive-warren-vt-05674/ - $1,431
https://sugarbushrealestate.com/listing/4825973/251-mountainside-drive-warren-vt-05674/ - $1,571

Can't imagine these are the right numbers for those Mountainside Condos -- unless the number is for the full year?

Maybe that's it since it's $421 for this larger more updated unit at North Lynx which is inline w/ the numbers Hawk and cdskier mentioned: https://sugarbushrealestate.com/listing/4815555/43-hobbit-hill-warren-vt-05674/

But then again $755 for a 1BR at Christmas Tree seems high even if you're getting unlimited firewood and utilities covered: https://sugarbushrealestate.com/listing/4837775/18-christmas-tree-road-warren-vt-05674/

I'd discuss with a realtor to get the details. For Mountainside if the old info I have from 2011 is right when I was looking, a small mountainside unit was about $230/mo back then...or $2750/year. There's little chance it went down. The cost could temporarily be high due to some sort of special assessment (some complexes do HUGE projects all at once to just get everything done if there's a lot of deferred maint costs). Mountainside did have to rebuild some units/buildings due to the fire a bunch of years ago. Not sure if that somehow drove up the HOA costs as well. Also possible they decided to do major repair to the rest of the units. A realtor should have the details though on why it is high (or if those costs are right).

Also if my notes are accurate, Mountainside's HOA fees included the cable costs potentially...Odd but that's what my notes say.