• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

thetrailboss

Staff member
Listen, I get the priority thing. However, It’s not like they need to add an air compressor to get the cams to work - They already do work If you have not updated the app. The web cam page is probably one of the top visited pages on their website, there is no other logical explanation for them not working ( 2 months into the season) other than they don’t want them to work by choice.
Considering that folks here posted about what they were seeing on the cams it is no surprise that they are now turned off. Both to avoid the State threatening them as to crowds/masking and due to the conditions..

thetrailboss

Staff member
I know SB does this every year but why blow on upper FIS when there are other areas to cover. Every year they blow on that trail, skiers right is shear ice and skiers way left is good. Skiers way left near the edge of the trail and the trees aren't hit with snowmaking. I say let it ski natural like Black Diamond, BTW Black Diamond is a much better trail.
As said, it’s too steep to hold natural snow. Skier’s left was always consistent in terms of decent conditions.

Slidebrook87

They used to make snow on Exterminator and Bravo not too long ago; Bravo by pulling hoses from Elbow. Helps quite a bit to hit the faces.
I could very well be wrong, but aren’t there snowmaking hydrants still on Exterminator? I could’ve sworn I remembered seeing one when I skied it last.

cdskier

I could very well be wrong, but aren’t there snowmaking hydrants still on Exterminator? I could’ve sworn I remembered seeing one when I skied it last.

Yes, they're still there along skier's left. They're a couple feet out into the trail, so you can easily ski around them too. I can't remember the last time they used them though. And Exterminator is a trail that skis just fine with only natural snow so I'm fine with not making snow there.

Slidebrook87

Yes, they're still there along skier's left. They're a couple feet out into the trail, so you can easily ski around them too. I can't remember the last time they used them though. And Exterminator is a trail that skis just fine with only natural snow so I'm fine with not making snow there.
Looks like they can be seen exactly as you described them in this photo. EF6B769A-9CDF-45DA-AC31-799F36B86BEA.jpeg

Castlerockrisk

Exterminator used to have glades and when they installed snowmaking they cut the trees down. Niot sure about the year. Fis traditionally hosted the turkey tumble - a pretty good bump contest on thanks giving. On many years Fis had snowmaking on the slope around the ski and skate sale mid November. Mt Ellen was electric in those days and the vibe was so positive. The decks on all the lodges had great barbecues and the beer was flowing from kegs. It was the place to be early and late season. The bump skiing and skill level of the skiers was fun to be part of. Sking Fis to cliffs in the spring with vw sized bumps into late April and May was a given. Even though the snow making was limited they added air to the snow and it was better than the snow thirty years later. Go figure - cheap energy and archaic snow guns with loud compressors made snow that was pretty good.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Go figure - cheap energy and archaic snow guns with loud compressors made snow that was pretty good.

Yep. In my humble opinion an old Ratnik "air hog" from 30 years ago makes better snow than a new $20k fan gun. Of course, only if the ops are putting a crapload of air in the Ratnik. Also those old in-house K and SR ground guns make amazing snow when you're running (almost literally) a compressor's worth of air into them hahaha.

jaybird

Exterminator used to have glades and when they installed snowmaking they cut the trees down. Niot sure about the year. Fis traditionally hosted the turkey tumble - a pretty good bump contest on thanks giving. On many years Fis had snowmaking on the slope around the ski and skate sale mid November. Mt Ellen was electric in those days and the vibe was so positive. The decks on all the lodges had great barbecues and the beer was flowing from kegs. It was the place to be early and late season. The bump skiing and skill level of the skiers was fun to be part of. Sking Fis to cliffs in the spring with vw sized bumps into late April and May was a given. Even though the snow making was limited they added air to the snow and it was better than the snow thirty years later. Go figure - cheap energy and archaic snow guns with loud compressors made snow that was pretty good.
.. Spring Fling .. SKI magazine party 👍

Slidebrook87

Yep. In my humble opinion an old Ratnik "air hog" from 30 years ago makes better snow than a new $20k fan gun. Of course, only if the ops are putting a crapload of air in the Ratnik. Also those old in-house K and SR ground guns make amazing snow when you're running (almost literally) a compressor's worth of air into them hahaha.
So is it true that Killington has their own guns? They looked pretty unique and old school to me compared to the HKD guns I’m used to seeing.

ss20

So is it true that Killington has their own guns? They looked pretty unique and old school to me compared to the HKD guns I’m used to seeing.

Yes they developed their own guns in the 80s and 90s (and perhaps before as well....many places did their own thing in the early days of snowmaking). Most "famous" is the K3000 which they still use frequently. If you do a post search of highwaystar on KillingtonZone you'll find all kinds of info on it.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Yes they developed their own guns in the 80s and 90s (and perhaps before as well....many places did their own thing in the early days of snowmaking). Most "famous" is the K3000 which they still use frequently. If you do a post search of highwaystar on KillingtonZone you'll find all kinds of info on it.
Highwaystar. That's a guy I have not seen in a while.

ss20

Highwaystar. That's a guy I have not seen in a while.

I tried @'ing him on this site and his name didn't pop up...wondering if he deleted his account. He started the k zone mega covid thread in early March and accurately sounded the alarm on the topic. His ego probably got so big he exploded 🤣

While he was mostly a troll he had accumulated a huuuuge amount of knowledge on the industry and Killingtons snowmaking system.

skiur

On kzone somebody posted that hwystar was his friend and had died last night. Then the next day hwystar logged in. That was probably 2 months ago and he hasn't logged in since the day after he died.

Slidebrook87

For anyone that has been at Sugarbush today or yesterday, where are they currently making snow, if at all? From Win’s comments I assume they’re working on North Lynx and Lookin Good, but I obviously don’t know for sure since I am not there right now.

teleo

For anyone that has been at Sugarbush today or yesterday, where are they currently making snow, if at all? From Win’s comments I assume they’re working on North Lynx and Lookin Good, but I obviously don’t know for sure since I am not there right now.
Were blowing birch on NL and started some on murphys.

machski

Not sure the year, but most likely when LBO came to town and swung the GMX to the North Ridge
Not sure the exact year, but I do believe Exterminator got widened and Snowmaking added when LBO came to town and moved GMX to become the North Ridge Express. He focused a lot on that new pod he created with the lift move at North.

cdskier

Not sure the exact year, but I do believe Exterminator got widened and Snowmaking added when LBO came to town and moved GMX to become the North Ridge Express. He focused a lot on that new pod he created with the lift move at North.

Going back to the historical trail maps, looks like Exterminator snowmaking was installed the same year as all the other upper mountain snowmaking (for the 1979-1980 season).

tumbler

95% of LBO work was at South. The only work that was done at North was moving GMX to Northridge and installing the Slug. No snowmaking work, it already had almost 90% coverage. The huge focus was at South. Hard to believe a mountain of that size had such a feeble snowmaking system.