The "Sugarbush Thread" - Page 469

AlpineZone

Page 469 of 591 FirstFirst ... 369419459467468469470471479519569 ... LastLast
Results 4,681 to 4,690 of 5902
  1. #4681
    Quote Originally Posted by HowieT2 View Post
    Curious about the GMP curtailment. I had always assumed that it was during periods of high electricity demand or anticipated demand, and that's why we would see them during holiday/vacation weeks. But this is no peak demand period. mid week. temperatures are moderate. Most of the lifts arent running.
    In addition to curtailing when there are peak demand, there is a mandatory monthly curtailment. That is what this one wa. We had an earlier 50% curtailment. Because of our low energy equipment now we can run when 50% curtailed which is very helpful. There is nothing worse than having to shut down completely, drain the lines, and the start back up. It takes hours and the pressure on the pipes increases the risk of a break.


  2. #4682
    Quote Originally Posted by deadheadskier View Post
    Snowmaking kills trees.

    Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app
    Sugarbush snowmaking kills trees.

    It seriously has to be some of the worst man-made snow in the east. That said snowmaking is not why we ski here, but I was thankful when guns started to turn off on Friday.. it was actually starting to ruin some of the trails.

  3. #4683
    I dare anyone to run snowguns in a glade without bringing a few branches down. It's easy if you're running a few hundred feet of trail, but much much harder once you have any significant amount of firepower going at once.

    Sent from my Life Max using Tapatalk

  4. #4684
    Quote Originally Posted by urungus View Post
    Thanks for the advice everybody, hit most of the trails mentioned and had a great time today during my first visit. It was pretty foggy at the top, but conditions were awesome! Paradise my was run of the day. After climbing the lengthy staircase from the parking lot, I was not able to summon the energy for the walk to Castle Rock, but after seeing the photo above I wish I had been able to rally. Does the Castle Rock chair only run on weekends? (Although once the chair is running you wouldn’t get the splendid isolation of the photo.)
    if the walk from the parking lot takes it out of you, you should probably consider your overall physical fitness

  5. #4685
    Quote Originally Posted by phin View Post
    Sugarbush snowmaking kills trees.

    It seriously has to be some of the worst man-made snow in the east. That said snowmaking is not why we ski here, but I was thankful when guns started to turn off on Friday.. it was actually starting to ruin some of the trails.
    That is a very uninformed comment. It is very challenging to make snow on narrow trails. Winds direction, temperatures, humidity can change quickly. There is not snowmaking on many of our classic New England trails such as Moonshine, Domino for this reason.
    Almost all of the comments were dated and that tree damage happened years ago with very different equipment this used today. At times, we will make snow in marginal conditions to get a base down in preparation for the season. The snow being made on Lower Jester last week was an example of that. We pushed until it became counter productive and turned off to resume when the cold resumes next week. It was wet but it will allow us to get enough depth to groom and that is an important trail to have in place for intermediate level skiers.

  6. #4686
    Quote Originally Posted by KustyTheKlown View Post
    if the walk from the parking lot takes it out of you, you should probably consider your overall physical fitness
    lol what a douche...ok tough guy

  7. #4687
    Said another way, the hike to CR is a little more strenuous then the walk from the lot. Probably best not to attempt the hike to CR if one finds the walk from the lot draining.

  8. #4688
    Quote Originally Posted by WinS View Post
    That is a very uninformed comment. It is very challenging to make snow on narrow trails. Winds direction, temperatures, humidity can change quickly. There is not snowmaking on many of our classic New England trails such as Moonshine, Domino for this reason.
    Almost all of the comments were dated and that tree damage happened years ago with very different equipment this used today. At times, we will make snow in marginal conditions to get a base down in preparation for the season. The snow being made on Lower Jester last week was an example of that. We pushed until it became counter productive and turned off to resume when the cold resumes next week. It was wet but it will allow us to get enough depth to groom and that is an important trail to have in place for intermediate level skiers.
    Win I think people are a bit "blinded by the white" and don't realize its late November/early Dec in VT. The great snow we've had doesn't change the need to take advantage of temps and put down base-type snow. Strange thing is with all the terrain open its pretty easy to avoid the guns if you know what your doing.....
    2017/18 = 37
    2016/17 = 31
    2015/16 = Depressing
    2014/15 = 28
    2013/14 = 27

  9. #4689
    Quote Originally Posted by WinS View Post
    In addition to curtailing when there are peak demand, there is a mandatory monthly curtailment. That is what this one wa. We had an earlier 50% curtailment. Because of our low energy equipment now we can run when 50% curtailed which is very helpful. There is nothing worse than having to shut down completely, drain the lines, and the start back up. It takes hours and the pressure on the pipes increases the risk of a break.
    why do they do a mandatory monthly curtailment?

  10. #4690
    ThinkSnow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Bad Liver Valley, VT
    Posts
    699
    Quote Originally Posted by urungus View Post
    After climbing the lengthy staircase from the parking lot, I was not able to summon the energy for the walk to Castle Rock, but after seeing the photo above I wish I had been able to rally.
    This, is otherwise known as a "warm-up."
    Sugarbush skier since 1985.........Think Snow!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 11 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 11 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. The "Sugarbush Thread" vs. Guess the ski area
    By Greg in forum Northeast Skiing and Snowboarding Forum
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: Aug 12, 2005, 10:14 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:00 PM.