• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

HowieT2

Im originally from Bellville. I live in Bradley Beach now. I have made a few other stops along the way in Monmouth County. Just out of curiosity where does it say that Im form Nj? I thought I left that stuff blank?
I lived in Belleville for 6 days while I was in law school in Newark. Long story. I recalled you had mentioned earlier that you were from my home state. That's a shlep from the shore to SB. Bravo to you.

HowieT2

Hah...I was wondering what prompted Howie to ask that as well... Thought I missed a post or something...
I'm always on the lookout for NJ brothers who have the moral fortitude to drive past many lesser mountains to ski at SB

1dog

The only thing I miss from the old base area is the clock tower. Other than that is was pretty bad with trailers and portable buildings. The old pub in the gatehouse was on the 2nd floor and did have windows looking out at spring fling
Miss clock tower as well - and the much better vibe of the Castlerock Pub upstairs with windows towards Spring Fling and that great deck on same side.

Still believe the Mushroom would be one of the greatest locations for a 'windowed bar' but the nostalgia on Wunderbar - which is very good, has to be enough for us old-timers. It still smells 1960's . . . . and well, so do I.

Can't argue with progress. Overall, its far better than it was as a base area.

Sill holding out for 8"-12" this weekend but wind ( and maybe immature snow) may hamper that prediction.

mikec142

I'm always on the lookout for NJ brothers who have the moral fortitude to drive past many lesser mountains to ski at SB
Union county here. Make the drive regularly. 5.5 hours each way not including a quick stop in Saratoga for coffee and a snack.

FBGM

These guys still have their director of mountain operations position open. Guess they can’t find anyone? Odd to be this far into a season with that position not filled.

Powder Whore

I still try to ski some "lesser" resorts every now & again. Platty in NY was typically my day trip spot. I enjoy Magic Mtn also and Gore is a blast after a good snow.
The thing that hooked me about SB was the access to the trees. I was kind of blown away at first, somewhat by the gnarly lines but more so by how accessible these lines are to everyone.

Last edited:

WinS

These guys still have their director of mountain operations position open. Guess they can’t find anyone? Odd to be this far into a season with that position not filled.

WinS

John Hammond‘s job of VP Mountain Operations and Recreational Services was filled awhile ago by Patrick Konvicka from Wildcat.

mikec142

I still try to ski some "lesser" resorts every now & again. Platty in NY was typically my day trip spot. I enjoy Magic Mtn also and Gore is a blast after a good snow.
The thing that hooked me about SB was the access to the trees. I was kind of blown away at first, somewhat by the gnarly lines but more so by how accessible these lines are to everyone.
Over the years, I'd narrowed my spots down. A lot of that had to do with my love for Sugarbush in general and their value oriented quad packs. For me a day trip is to Windham. I long ago stopped making the quicker day trips to Blue or Camelback. I also have a special place in my heart for Gore as it's where I really learned to ski and my closest friend has a place up there. I will say that Gore's terrain beats anything in southern VT and stacks up really well against most places on the east coast.

These days, even though I have the Ikon Pass, I still have a love for SB and Gore and I'm kind of a creature of habit. My feeling is that if I'm going to get in the car and make the 4 hour drive to Stratton (on the Ikon Pass), I might as well drive the extra 90 minutes and to get to much better terrain and a place I love. Plus, if I go to Stratton, I don't get to stop in Saratoga for Uncommon Grounds coffee.

Obviously this season is unique due to Covid. The Ikon Pass has really come in handy for me as I tend to do things last minute so buying day tix would have been impossible for me. I think the thing that I will likely miss the most this year will be not getting my typical weekend or two at Gore, not getting the day or two at MRG and Stowe. There's always next year.

keyser soze

I've skied SB many times, but am not familiar with the tree skiing as I am usually following people around and they don't know the mountain well. I belong to a ski club that has a lodge on 100 about midway between SB and Killington. I got the full ikon this year in hopes of getting plenty of days at SB since it is unlimited.

A day trip for me used to be Hunter on a Sunday as I could get many laps in and bail by 2 if you get there at opening. That being said I have not been there in a few years. I worked in Newark for several years at the now closed tannery on Broadway if you know where that is.

KustyTheKlown

ive passed those ski club houses on 100 near Granville Gulf many times. that is a pretty desolate area. no gas, restaurants, food shops. no cell service. when i do my crazy man night drives i sometimes worry thru that stretch, especially if there is weather.

HowieT2

I've skied SB many times, but am not familiar with the tree skiing as I am usually following people around and they don't know the mountain well. I belong to a ski club that has a lodge on 100 about midway between SB and Killington. I got the full ikon this year in hopes of getting plenty of days at SB since it is unlimited.

A day trip for me used to be Hunter on a Sunday as I could get many laps in and bail by 2 if you get there at opening. That being said I have not been there in a few years. I worked in Newark for several years at the now closed tannery on Broadway if you know where that is.
short hills ski club? That house looks nice.

HowieT2

The vibe at Platty reminds me of Mt. Ellen. My buddy lives near windham so I've hit platty for powder days a bunch the last few years.

kingslug

So far Gore has been great. Even though I have an epic I'm still driving the extra 1.5 hours and buying tickets there.
Damn good chile too.