• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

tumbler

Could use an honest conditions report on today's skiing. Is it just frozen groomers or is some of the natural ok?

Hawk

I was told that there is a "Death Crust" from the above freezing period on Monday. He said that it is not a "ziper crust". Up top might be a little better but my report was not that specific. Saw a short video of a ski boot crunching the crust on facebook. This person said we will need a refresher of 6" to make it better.

1dog

I was told that there is a "Death Crust" from the above freezing period on Monday. He said that it is not a "ziper crust". Up top might be a little better but my report was not that specific. Saw a short video of a ski boot crunching the crust on facebook. This person said we will need a refresher of 6" to make it better.
Here is your 6":

Hawk

I will count that when it is on the ground. Weather forecasts this year have been all over the place. We will see. I will be there.

1dog

Understand. In my experience they have been under-estimating snowfall on the hill. And that's just fine with me as well. Stay home everyone, nothing to see here. Matter of fact, we are instituting mail-in-ski days, so you don't have to drive, break 'laws' by crossing state lines, and Dominion will now be counting ski runs on your mail-in lift tickets. If you are dead, ski in another state, won't matter, because every lift ticket counts - even twice.

Bush has been conservative on estimates, and like most NIMBY's those of us who call it home are ok with it.

KustyTheKlown

the gfs has snow setting up across all of Vermont and NH for a pretty long chunk of time. lets hope it piles up.

Hawk

Understand. In my experience they have been under-estimating snowfall on the hill. And that's just fine with me as well. Stay home everyone, nothing to see here. Matter of fact, we are instituting mail-in-ski days, so you don't have to drive, break 'laws' by crossing state lines, and Dominion will now be counting ski runs on your mail-in lift tickets. If you are dead, ski in another state, won't matter, because every lift ticket counts - even twice.

Bush has been conservative on estimates, and like most NIMBY's those of us who call it home are ok with it.
I love your optimism but I have to point out just this last Monday. They predicted anywhere from 6 to12 and we got 5 and freezing rain. That is not underestimating in my book. Again I will be there and count it on the ground. Hoping for the best.

Hawk

Also, I have no idea what you were trying to say in that last post at all. I guess I am way to old to understand all that millennial speak. LOL

KustyTheKlown

encouraging assessment from mrg today. ive got a bed Friday and Saturday in rutland. but i haven't the slightest idea yet of where i will ski this weekend.

"We put out the call this morning and the Mad River faithful came out and went to work. After a day of hammering on the moguls and non-groomed runs, we’re starting to see some softer snow make its way to the surface from underneath the crust layer. This increase in traffic and slightly warmer temperatures have gone a long way to improving the surface condition of the snowpack. Skiers could even find some decent turns out in the woods after a little work to get underneath the crust. The groomed trails were phenomenal once again, perfect for both arcing serious turns and cruising at a gentle pace. We’re all set up for soft snow to return to the mountain with coverage and depth remaining strong across all of our trails. We might not have to wait long either with more weather moving into the Valley tonight and tomorrow with the promise of new snow. The Mountain Operations team will be back out in force tonight with the goal of laying down fresh corduroy on nearly 25 trails before we ring in the day with first chair at 8:30 am tomorrow morning. Be sure to stay tuned to the conditions page tomorrow morning to stay up to date on any changes in the weather."

tumbler

Encouraging but how was Bush today? two storm busts this week sucks. Hoping for upslope from this one...

Boxtop Willie

SB could use a refresher. Conditions today were "firm, with a side of concrete." Groomers skied well, and improved with traffic but definitely way more solid than pre-storm. Woods? Challenging. Rock hard, Nasty crust. Awful. Need either more snow or a string of 50 degree days. I'll take the former.

JimG.

Staff member
And I just started exploring the woods at Gore and Belleayre..oh well.
The naturals and trees at Gore had a thick shiny crust on them today, remarkable because the sun never came out. But you could still clearly see the shine.

6" of new snow will make things much better there is a ton of snow.

Powder Whore

SB could use a refresher. Conditions today were "firm, with a side of concrete." Groomers skied well, and improved with traffic but definitely way more solid than pre-storm. Woods? Challenging. Rock hard, Nasty crust. Awful. Need either more snow or a string of 50 degree days. I'll take the former.
I agree with you on the refresh . Im not sure about “concrete or rock hard “ . I found most of Lincoln very skiable in the afternoon today.

jaybird

2" wafer crust is a tough surface unless you're 200 lbs.

Hope you bottled up the last 6 weeks.
Now .. pray for forgiveness for taking that for granted.

Hawk

it wont be the first time I have done gorilla turns in the crust. gonna need a whole bunch of upslope today to get the that 6". Hope we were not jinxed with all the talk yesterday. ;-)