• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

KustyTheKlown

yikes. so hiking to castlerock is the only option. NO THANKS.

if they get valley house open later i will go out.

cdskier

yikes. so hiking to castlerock is the only option. NO THANKS.

if they get valley house open later i will go out.

I'm surprised...you're one of the few people I would have expected to be up for a hike to the CR lift.

KustyTheKlown

im all the way down in the valley and the wind is pummeling this house. just doesnt sound super pleasant. the 4-5" will be there tomorrow, blown around, but there. today seems a very reasonable day to not ski. im mostly annoyed with myself for wasting yesterday. i should have gone to maine sunday and slush skied sugarbush yesterday. oh well. first world problems.

its only 9 am. we'll see where the day goes. hope is valley house laps by like 1 or 2. if that doesnt happen, thats fine.

castlerock is on maintenance hold. officially no real skiing to be skied over there at the moment.

Last edited:

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
I'm surprised...you're one of the few people I would have expected to be up for a hike to the CR lift.

Yeah really, sounds like a wet dream to me lol. 4" of windblown pow for you and probably a couple dozen people tops. The hike is probably easier and shorter than the long trail hike-in during the early season before the chair is spinning.

KustyTheKlown

im not opposed to the thought of hiking up the runout. that's easy. its the wind and the cold. but castlerock is also down now. i will go out later if things open.

cdskier

Yeah really, sounds like a wet dream to me lol. 4" of windblown pow for you and probably a couple dozen people tops. The hike is probably easier and shorter than the long trail hike-in during the early season before the chair is spinning.

Irrelevant at least for now as CR is on a maintenance delay. So basically right now you can lap the terrain park at ME or the Village Quad and bunny slope at LP...

CastlerockMRV

Not a scientific assessment but the winds didn't seem to be coming from a consistent direction last night so will be interesting to see if it's piling up in all the usual spots or not. With no ski traffic today, tomorrow could be a very good day in a few areas.......or straight up survival skiing. Hopefully they do a deep groom tonight.

KustyTheKlown

groomers early AM = great
steep natural/bump runs = terrible
mellow natural/bump runs = tolerable
low angle woods = surprisingly pretty dang good

i did a one hour work zoom in my car in the mount ellen lot. going to 4 today, making up for the past two days of nonsense

1544232C-C762-4038-BD8A-2FD65ACC5D49.jpeg

Paradise chutes and woods next to spillsville skiing legit good. That’s great. I almost didn’t even bother coming up heavens gate and I’m glad I did.

Last edited:

HowieT2

groomers early AM = great
steep natural/bump runs = terrible
mellow natural/bump runs = tolerable
low angle woods = surprisingly pretty dang good

i did a one hour work zoom in my car in the mount ellen lot. going to 4 today, making up for the past two days of nonsense

View attachment 50713

Paradise chutes and woods next to spillsville skiing legit good. That’s great. I almost didn’t even bother coming up heavens gate and I’m glad I did.
mtn reporting 9" sunday overnight until today. more in the forecast.

KustyTheKlown

full 8 AM - 4 PM day with a stop to take a work call. 40,000 vertical. good snow in the high woods! ended the day on paradise chutes, and the off map woods right of spillsville and right of organgrinder, and then back over to ellen for bravo woods and exterminator woods - its good in the woods! the steep/bumpy trails are not very good. at least at mount ellen. i didn't really try the trails at lincoln peak, all woods. will venture to castlerock tmrw but i expect it to be similar to the mount ellen steeps with bumps. not enough soft snow covering giant ice moguls. all in all tho, a really good day. 40k feet makes up for yesterday.

do the off map woods i am describing have names?

shipyardcreek

full 8 AM - 4 PM day with a stop to take a work call. 40,000 vertical. good snow in the high woods! ended the day on paradise chutes, and the off map woods right of spillsville and right of organgrinder, and then back over to ellen for bravo woods and exterminator woods - its good in the woods! the steep/bumpy trails are not very good. at least at mount ellen. i didn't really try the trails at lincoln peak, all woods. will venture to castlerock tmrw but i expect it to be similar to the mount ellen steeps with bumps. not enough soft snow covering giant ice moguls. all in all tho, a really good day. 40k feet makes up for yesterday.

do the off map woods i am describing have names?
To the right of Spills is Hewey's (spelling may be off) and to right of OG is Hi-Way 22.

KustyTheKlown

It’s a tree tour of Lincoln Peak today. Hit every on map glade except deeper sleeper. Off map glades off spills, og, castlerock run, and middle earth. I found the poop chute and it’s super fun. Got a few more laps in my legs, heading to rumble now

Attachments

• 2E1A8BF5-5A2E-427D-8643-E9B389931EAB.png
    2E1A8BF5-5A2E-427D-8643-E9B389931EAB.png
    3.9 MB · Views: 51
  • 63A67702-7D15-431A-8A2C-0FC933C70BF2.jpeg
    63A67702-7D15-431A-8A2C-0FC933C70BF2.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 48

HowieT2

It’s a tree tour of Lincoln Peak today. Hit every on map glade except deeper sleeper. Off map glades off spills, og, castlerock run, and middle earth. I found the poop chute and it’s super fun. Got a few more laps in my legs, heading to rumble now
If I didnt know what you were referring to, I'd say that's inappropriate for a public forum.

Hawk

Good catch Kusty.

KustyTheKlown

Good catch Kusty.

i had read some very scary write ups of the poopchute, maybe on strava, with mandatory airs and things mentioned. i found no mandatory airs. i found very nice steep multiple option tree chutes with excellent snow.

KustyTheKlown

hedging against the wind, i just used a visa gift card to buy a mad river glen ticket for tomorrow.

heavens gate went down around 12 and never came back on today. tmrw is more windier. mrg ran both chairs all day on Tuesday, so i think I'll be ok. i have been to mrg one time when they could only run the double. there were some epic hike to midstation laps.