• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

Lostone

:angry: Noski... You been following me around??? :angry:

:lol: :blink: :lol:

Actually, that's the closest I do get to women following me around. :(

Tin Woodsman

IMO, the best place for new lift/trail development is (as has been discussed many times before), above Inverness... just from sun angles and the slope of the hillside it seems like there would be the potential for a great north lynx-y type area... unfortunately it's so close to mad river glen that the shareholders would have a fit if Sugarbush ever showed any interest in development up there... plus that land is probably privately owned...

It definitely would be "North Lynx-y". If you take a look on a winter afternoon, that area of he the mountain remains in the afternoon sun until very late in the day while the rest of Ellen is in the shadows. Solid upper intermediate to advanced pitch with about 1,100 vertical, as compared to about 800 for North Lynx. More importantly, just as at Lincoln Peak, it would really have helped to spread out the traffic on the mountain. Currently, the Inverness chair and terrain are probably underutilized in comparison to the rest of the hill. GMVS usually closes 1-2 of the 4 ways down the hill there and the quad is an unexciting (compared to the rest of the lift system) and slow fixed grip. If you had a terrain pod up top, I'm sure (as with Gate House) the Inverness lift would be detatchable and it would be the entree to a solid 2,100 vertical feet of terrain that is sunny and perfect for upper intermediates. In short, you'd be drawing a lot more people to that side of the mountain.

Regardless, while MRG wouldn't be able to stop it (it's not their land), I'm sure there are any number of hurdles that would be put up by others that would prevent such an expansion from ever coming to reality.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Tin Woodsman said:
It definitely would be "North Lynx-y". If you take a look on a winter afternoon, that area of he the mountain remains in the afternoon sun until very late in the day while the rest of Ellen is in the shadows. Solid upper intermediate to advanced pitch with about 1,100 vertical, as compared to about 800 for North Lynx. More importantly, just as at Lincoln Peak, it would really have helped to spread out the traffic on the mountain.

Yeah, it would be cool.

Currently, the Inverness chair and terrain are probably underutilized in comparison to the rest of the hill. GMVS usually closes 1-2 of the 4 ways down the hill there and the quad is an unexciting (compared to the rest of the lift system) and slow fixed grip. If you had a terrain pod up top, I'm sure (as with Gate House) the Inverness lift would be detatchable and it would be the entree to a solid 2,100 vertical feet of terrain that is sunny and perfect for upper intermediates. In short, you'd be drawing a lot more people to that side of the mountain.

Yep, most underutilized area at SB. Too much lift capacity as well...not enough skiers/riders...some good terrain though. Just wish that GMVS wouldn't close the whole place down when they train :( I like those narrow trails on the right as you ski down Inverness....cool runs. Long as well.

Tin Woodsman

In terms of the lift I have seen this all before and have spoken about it with Ken Quackenbush, MRG’s GM from about 1951 to about 1992. He told me that Glen Ellen went forward with the idea and actually cut the lift line prior to getting state permits which were later denied. Apparently MRG had the same idea of utilizing the same mountain top, except coming at it with a lift from the Mad River Barn.

I recall a great conversation with Ken several years ago. He commented at the time that Glen Ellen was built that there was not enough business to support 3 mountains in the valley. History has proven that he was probably right.<

From the topo the terminal for both proposed lifts that Eric talks about is the highest point of Stark. Looks to be 200 vf higher than MRG's current summit elevation.

A lift from the Mad River Barn to the summit of Stark Mt would have been the single greatest lift in Eastern skiing bar none. 2,500 vertical of mostly expert terrain that is consistently tough for at least 3/4 of the way, all facing NE. Never gonna happen.

And the true summit of Stark Mt is only 20 vf higher than MRG's current summit, not 200.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Tin Woodsman said:
A lift from the Mad River Barn to the summit of Stark Mt would have been the single greatest lift in Eastern skiing bar none. 2,500 vertical of mostly expert terrain that is consistently tough for at least 3/4 of the way, all facing NE. Never gonna happen.

And the true summit of Stark Mt is only 20 vf higher than MRG's current summit, not 200.

That would have been sweet!!! Maybe instead of the single chair, MRG could do this... :wink:

dmc

I'm really digging this thread...

I love Sugarbush...

Keep it going guys!!! :beer:

Tin Woodsman

I like those narrow trails on the right as you ski down Inverness....cool runs. Long as well.

Semi-Tough - my favorite trail in VT, if not of all time. Perfect pitch. Fantastic width to retain snow and keep it interesting. 4-5 turns in the ego bumps, then it backs off to allow you to catch your breath before turning a corner where another little field of ego bumps is revealed. Wash, rinse repeat. Pure ecstasy.

bvibert

Staff member
Tin Woodsman said:
I like those narrow trails on the right as you ski down Inverness....cool runs. Long as well.

Semi-Tough - my favorite trail in VT, if not of all time. Perfect pitch. Fantastic width to retain snow and keep it interesting. 4-5 turns in the ego bumps, then it backs off to allow you to catch your breath before turning a corner where another little field of ego bumps is revealed. Wash, rinse repeat. Pure ecstasy.

Definately a cool trail! When I was there late last year the race team was training all day and Semi-Tough was still open...

thetrailboss

Staff member
Tin Woodsman said:

Semi-Tough - my favorite trail in VT, if not of all time. Perfect pitch. Fantastic width to retain snow and keep it interesting. 4-5 turns in the ego bumps, then it backs off to allow you to catch your breath before turnign a corner where another little field of ego bumps is revealed. Wash, rinse repeat. Pure exactasy.

Yeah, why I love Mt Ellen so much and SB for that matter. Great run, not well trodden, but it's there and great. I can ski Ellen all day and not get bored when there is snow. I love Lower FIS personally...some great pitch and nice narrow chute sections.

Tin Woodsman

Yeah, why I love Mt Ellen so much and SB for that matter. Great run, not well trodden, but it's there and great. I can ski Ellen all day and not get bored when there is snow. I love Lower FIS personally...some great pitch and nice narrow chute sections.

Not a huge fan of Lower FIS due to its width (far to wide, enabling wind to scrape all the snow off) and flat/uphill run-out at the bottom. Another pipe dream I've had is to run a chair from the 1,800 ft elevation on that trail up to either the Cliff House at 3,000 ft or the top of Mt Ellen at 4,083. Good times either way and would provide legit expert terrain for Ellen (Upper FIS, Black Diamond and Upper Exterminator are too short to want to do laps ala Castlerock or even Heaven's Gate)

thetrailboss

Staff member
Tin Woodsman said:

Not a huge fan of Lower FIS due to its width (far to wide, enabling wind to scrape all the snow off) and flat/uphill run-out at the bottom. Another pipe dream I've had is to run a chair from the 1,800 ft elevation on that trail up to either the Cliff House at 3,000 ft or the top of Mt Ellen at 4,083. Good times either way and would provide legit expert terrain for Ellen (Upper FIS, Black Diamond and Upper Exterminator are too short to want to do laps ala Castlerock or even Heaven's Gate)

Again, another great idea!! When AZ buys Sugarbush, we're making Tin Woodsman the new ski area designer :wink:

Seriously though, that would be sick. Yeah, I guess there are sections of Lower FIS that do get windswept, but I still like it after some freshies.

This thread is on fire!

djspookman

I posted back on Snowjournal and Slowclimb about this lift line cut earlier in the year. I know people who have skied it before, but they said it was quite brushy now. I tried to find a navagatable path up it this winter, but I was running out of daylight so I didn't get too far. I really want to explore this route more though, as it could yeild some good skiing. (the woods are pretty thin up there and are already good for some flatter tree skiing :) )

dave

awf170

does every single person who lives in the MRV post on this forum. it seems like half our users are from there, and when i drove through it looked like there were only like 10 houses, plenty of cows though :D

djspookman

awf170 said:
does every single person who lives in the MRV post on this forum. it seems like half our users are from there, and when i drove through it looked like there were only like 10 houses, plenty of cows though :D

nope. Only those of us who are bored in cubicle land rather than enjoying being outside recreating in the MRV! Remember, when in VT, there are waaay more houses in off of the main roads than what you can see from the main roads:) (I think you were kidding but I had to clarify anyway!)

I just can't wait to get up there in 'dem dar mountains and ski sum more!

dave

ski_resort_observer

Website
www.firstlightphotographics.com
awf170 said:

I think you are confusing Jeffersonville with Waitsfield... :lol: All these years you have been skiing Smuggs thinking it was Sugarbush. :lol:

djspookman

ski_resort_observer said:
awf170 said:

I think you are confusing Jeffersonville with Waitsfield... :lol: All these years you have been skiing Smuggs thinking it was Sugarbush. :lol:

no kidding.. I grew up in Jericho and Jeffersonville and Jeff. definately represents his comments:) Maybe he saw the cows by Kenyons and thought that was the whole valley :lol:

Tin Woodsman

djspookman said:
I posted back on Snowjournal and Slowclimb about this lift line cut earlier in the year. I know people who have skied it before, but they said it was quite brushy now. I tried to find a navagatable path up it this winter, but I was running out of daylight so I didn't get too far. I really want to explore this route more though, as it could yeild some good skiing. (the woods are pretty thin up there and are already good for some flatter tree skiing :) )

That's not surprising about the alleged quality of the tree skiing up that way. IIRC, it's mostly hardwoods until you get to the top 200-300 verts or so, but that could be off. If that's the case, then I'd venture to say that the old liftline probably has the worst skiing up in that area. A buddy of mine skied the line in the epic year of 2000-2001 and said it was so grown in that he had to hike back up and out. Total and complete lockdown - Alcatraz style. Mind you, the snow was so deep at Sugarbush that year that I know people where skiing ON TOP of the younger pine trees to skier's left of the top of Sunrise. Those trees are 15 feet tall these days.

In short, I doubt it's worth your time. Lines to the left and right of that cut, however, are a different story altogether.