• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

TSQURD

i had read some very scary write ups of the poopchute, maybe on strava, with mandatory airs and things mentioned. i found no mandatory airs. i found very nice steep multiple option tree chutes with excellent snow.
Perhaps you're thinking of Church? You definitely make the most out of the day, that's a lot of skiing. I agree the woods are skiing better than anything else right now, but im missing the conditions from a few weeks ago. Didn't get out till late after HG was shut down so I cant speak for the stuff up there, but found the woods a variable mix of wind packed, crust, ice and a little powder. None of the woods I skied today have had much traffic since last weekends warm up though.34B682DB-EC6E-46AB-AE52-0B68F4837DA6_1_101_o.jpeg

Last edited:

KustyTheKlown

Nah, I know the Church, have dropped in sort of along the side of it once. Whatever I read about Poop Chute was overdramatized

Hawk

i had read some very scary write ups of the poopchute, maybe on strava, with mandatory airs and things mentioned. i found no mandatory airs. i found very nice steep multiple option tree chutes with excellent snow.
The only place you can cliff out is if you fade right. Actually this year it is skiing harder. There was a big blow down near the top and things have grown a little. if you like it now you would have loved it a couple or years back. it is much tighter now.

kingslug

Looking at the trail reports for both Stowe and SB. Stowe has everything good closed..SB everything open. Can't wait until next season when I get an Ikon pass and hit SB more.

mikec142

I feel like I read the same thing somewhere about mandatory airs and I've stayed away from even trying to find it. Although it's probably out of my league even without the air. Lol

cdskier

I feel like I read the same thing somewhere about mandatory airs and I've stayed away from even trying to find it. Although it's probably out of my league even without the air. Lol
I don't recall ever reading/hearing/seeing anything about mandatory airs. I have a pretty good idea how to get to it, but I'm just pretty sure it is steeper/tighter than I like in the woods so I wouldn't even try...

mikec142

I don't recall ever reading/hearing/seeing anything about mandatory airs. I have a pretty good idea how to get to it, but I'm just pretty sure it is steeper/tighter than I like in the woods so I wouldn't even try...
I feel like you and I are on the same page regarding terrain quite often.

Powder Whore

I thought we were not supposed to speak of lines that are not on the map? This week I have read about the lines between N Lynx & CR, the poop chutes, Huey’s, & HW 22 all on this forum. I realize these lines are far from secret but I also don’t think we need to be advertising them. Just my 2 cents.

1dog

Friends don't let friends share about sidecountry on social media.
unless we take'em there and kill 'em there - sort of a forest sacrifice. . . . some of my best tree skiing partners were one and done. Its a good way to go tho . . .

KustyTheKlown

None of it is side country. It’s all in bounds. I’ve been giving conditions reports in a week of rapidly changing conditions and talking about where I’ve skied, in bounds, and finding with just my nose for pow. Not asking for directions or write ups.

mrg is super variable today

HowieT2

None of it is side country. It’s all in bounds. I’ve been giving conditions reports in a week of rapidly changing conditions and talking about where I’ve skied, in bounds, and finding with just my nose for pow. Not asking for directions or write ups.

mrg is super variable today
Thanks to your report I hit the woods today. Thank you. I won’t say where, but somewhere on castlerock was very nice. Repeatedly. Good light powder on top of a scratchy base. On the trails there was snow in the troughs. Groomers were firm.

cdskier

I found LP quite variable this afternoon. Lots of icy spots showing up on groomers in many of the usual spots. Groomers I'm sure were better in the morning. Bumps are way too firm/solid for me. Tried a few lower elevation/low angle woods. Eden and Deeper Sleeper were decent (although lots of small branches down in lower Eden). Fischer Cat was very variable. One minute you're on 1/2" of snow covering a solid sub-surface, then all of a sudden you're hitting half foot+ drifts (and some of it looked deceptively similar until you hit it). A little too inconsistent for me to be that comfortable on...

Unless we get some decent snow tonight/this weekend, I think I'm going to try to take it pretty easy and stick to mostly groomers. Oh well...

Slidebrook87

Any idea what’s going on with Heaven’s Gate? It went on mechanical hold according to the snow report mid-day today, and the lift status page says it’s still on hold, possibly for tomorrow. What’s the chance it’ll be open tomorrow?

cdskier

Any idea what’s going on with Heaven’s Gate? It went on mechanical hold according to the snow report mid-day today, and the lift status page says it’s still on hold, possibly for tomorrow. What’s the chance it’ll be open tomorrow?
I wouldn't read too much into the status page still saying it is on hold. For some reason the end of day update hasn't been done yet (trails, lifts, and text are all unchanged since early afternoon)

flakeydog

I thought we were not supposed to speak of lines that are not on the map? This week I have read about the lines between N Lynx & CR, the poop chutes, Huey’s, & HW 22 all on this forum. I realize these lines are far from secret but I also don’t think we need to be advertising them. Just my 2 cents.
You mean like you just did here? Sorry, couldn’t resist.

Slidebrook87

Natural stuff was pretty icy today. Groomers were about average for a normal season. Ice patches by the end of the day, but not too bad. The woods that weren’t too skied off (Big Birch, Grand Stand, etc) had the best snow. Some runs like Upper Rim Run had great snow as well.

TSQURD

Sucked today. You wouldn't believe the lift lines. Everyone should stick with Stowe. Even had to help rescue my buddy on one of the unsafe trails. Lucky people at Stowe dont have to worry about things like that anymore, so I hear.

Attachments

• 70438390-080E-4B6B-A0A6-1E7E204AEA30_1_201_a.jpeg
    70438390-080E-4B6B-A0A6-1E7E204AEA30_1_201_a.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 55
  • 15B47985-7B5F-4307-BC4D-BEEE9997976D_1_101_o.jpeg
    15B47985-7B5F-4307-BC4D-BEEE9997976D_1_101_o.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 52
  • 47FEBF6E-6C90-4B30-97E2-EF839CFC0E50_1_201_a.jpeg
    47FEBF6E-6C90-4B30-97E2-EF839CFC0E50_1_201_a.jpeg
    577.9 KB · Views: 54