• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

WWF-VT

It was a firm and fast on the groomers at Mt Ellen today like it would be on a typical day in early January vs March 6th. No lines on North Ridge chair.

cdskier

It was a firm and fast on the groomers at Mt Ellen today like it would be on a typical day in early January vs March 6th. No lines on North Ridge chair.

Every chair at ME was virtually ski on all morning. A bit windy though at times...

I was pleasantly surprised by Exterminator. Those bumps actually held the snow somehow and were pretty nice. Of the groomed trails, I think Cliffs and Walt's skied the best and didn't scrape off like many others (natural snow vs man-made perhaps making a difference?). In terms of naturals, I thought Semi-Tough was actually somewhat decent too. I only ventured into the woods once off Looking Good. Decent snow in there for the most part, although also a thin crust on the untracked snow there in spots.

HowieT2

The woods at mt Ellen were fantastic. So was lower fis And bravo. Tumbler woods into lower fis plenty of fresh Lines.

Hawk

People have mentioned lines but have not specifically said where they went in. Also the lines they have mentioned are known to most regulars. As long as people do not specifically give directions I am OK with talking about conditions.

Hawk

I have skied all over the place the last couple of days. Conditions in the woods remain mixed in my opinion. We found a few places that were 4 to 5 inches deep of wind blown that skied extremely well. We found other aspects that were very tricky with variable conditions. Crust, wind slab, ice, etc. Some of the best skiing is gullies that collected snow. Be carful out there. Saw patrol carting out a kid that smashed his knee after slipping in the woods. Hope he is alright. Headed out for another day of exploration. Going real deep today.

KustyTheKlown

I have skied all over the place the last couple of days. Conditions in the woods remain mixed in my opinion. We found a few places that were 4 to 5 inches deep of wind blown that skied extremely well. We found other aspects that were very tricky with variable conditions. Crust, wind slab, ice, etc. Some of the best skiing is gullies that collected snow. Be carful out there. Saw patrol carting out a kid that smashed his knee after slipping in the woods. Hope he is alright. Headed out for another day of exploration. Going real deep today.

yea, getting scratchy out there today. thursday i thought sugarbush skied great. mad river on friday was weird - super wind affected. went to jay Saturday, very cold, very windy - was on the flyer just before they took it down for wind hold and it was straight up scary - but the snow at jay was pretty good, as it usually is. sugarbush today and its getting pretty scratchy and skied out, even in harder to find lines. i am going home tomorrow and will ski stratton bc its free and on the way. saving killington for later. hoping it gets >32 in the sun and things get soft.

groomers scratchy after the morning. Bumps soft above 3000 feet. Woods variable depending on aspect. Sun helped the bumps on the left edge in many places

Hawk

Tomorrow we plan to have some company finally. I think Treeskier
Skied Lincoln peak today and it was good. Maybe I’m just finding my rhythm but I thought everything skied great.
You my friend have successfully lowered your expectation to the right level. LOL

Hawk

A lot of angry regulars and locals on Sugarbush facebook this weekend. Seems the recent firings have not gone over well. Before I get pumbled with comments about how the business is loosing money and there are always two sides to the story, I just want to say this. When this pandemic is over things will not look the same at all. That is expected. But what I hope is not lost is the soul of this place. After all, for some of us, Sugarbush is not just about the great skiing, it's the people. We have lost a ton of people that contributed a ton to make this place what it is. I just hope the management has not lost sight of what made this place great. I'm not blaming anyone just voicing what I and a lot of other long time regulars are thinking. The people that are gone are not just employees, they are our friends and have always been a part of the fabric of what made this place great.

cdskier

Firings as in plural? I only heard of 1 (and then another that quit as a result of the first firing). I'd love to know the justification for that firing though. I can sort of maybe understand the Egan one earlier this year (although even if justified from a financial perspective think it was handled poorly). The latest one that I know of I can't think of a good logical justification. Even if they're losing money, this latest one still wouldn't make sense from that perspective.

HowieT2

A lot of angry regulars and locals on Sugarbush facebook this weekend. Seems the recent firings have not gone over well. Before I get pumbled with comments about how the business is loosing money and there are always two sides to the story, I just want to say this. When this pandemic is over things will not look the same at all. That is expected. But what I hope is not lost is the soul of this place. After all, for some of us, Sugarbush is not just about the great skiing, it's the people. We have lost a ton of people that contributed a ton to make this place what it is. I just hope the management has not lost sight of what made this place great. I'm not blaming anyone just voicing what I and a lot of other long time regulars are thinking. The people that are gone are not just employees, they are our friends and have always been a part of the fabric of what made this place great.
what happened?

NYDB

From Hawks post I thought the Snowmaking Ops Manager and the General manager got fired or something.

1 long time food service person got fired? and her friend quit? Soul of the mountain? You guys must really drink a lot.

Sorry to be glib - but just be glad your mountain didn't get bought by Vail.

djd66

From Hawks post I thought the Snowmaking Ops Manager and the General manager got fired or something.

1 long time food service person got fired? and her friend quit? Soul of the mountain? You guys must really drink a lot.

Sorry to be glib - but just be glad your mountain didn't get bought by Vail.
Personally I have not been to any bar since last year. I do however know all of the regular food service staff and I enjoy the upbeat vibe they bring to the MTN every day. Is it the end of the world for Sugarbush - NO. People that have been coming to Sugarbush for years, getting a beer from the same bar tender and all of a sudden they get fired - it seems strange. I guess I would like to know the back story.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
I met a girl on a ski trip looong time ago when I was just starting to teach skiing. Didn't exchange numbers or anything like that, just hung out a bit. A few years later I ran into her (still can't believe I recognized her). She was jumping from school to school trying to finish up her degree. Later still we ran into each other again and she told me she was gonna go up and be a ski bum and teach skiing at SB. I was so happy for her...finally getting to do what she wanted to do and enjoy some time in the industry, like I was myself (on the weekends at least!). That was maybe 3 years ago. This season at SB, I'm waiting in line for the Super Bravo and she looks at me and I look at her and she's the rfid scanner/checker. We stopped and talked for a few minutes and did our every-couple-of-years-random-chance-encounter-catch-up before I finally got on the lift. That's a true ski bum who's living the dream... only at Sugarbush. The "good vibes" will remain at Sugrbush even without Win and the Egan brothers because of people like her.

Hope this message finds you well, Ash!

KustyTheKlown

the Facebook comment mutiny seems wild overblown. The overwhelming majority of skier customers can’t ID a bartender. In a year where there is basically no bar.