• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

cdskier

I'd love to see data on how many people ski Steins before the spring. I rarely see people on it and it rarely looks appealing to me.
I think it depends a lot on the conditions. There are some days other years where I've seen a ton of people pretty regularly on Steins. This year not so much...

I guess the question would be, which expert run would you want to see groomed? While I do see the appeal of another groomed expert, I can't think of one expert trail that is bumped that I'd rather see groomed.

Stein's would be fine with me if they groomed it somewhat regularly. But other than that, I agree there's no bumped trail I'd rather they groom.

HowieT2

They got rid of Egan without batting an eye..things change when owners change..not always for the best. He was a giant part of the place. Can't put a price on that..yet they did. In the end..we are all expendable in corporate culture.
I love Egan and hope they find a way bring him back in the fold, but saying you "can't put a price on that", is disingenious. You don't actually believe that SB should hand Egan a blank check.

HowieT2

I think it depends a lot on the conditions. There are some days other years where I've seen a ton of people pretty regularly on Steins. This year not so much...

Stein's would be fine with me if they groomed it somewhat regularly. But other than that, I agree there's no bumped trail I'd rather they groom.
This. It needs some grooming. seeing glare ice on the the trail from the bravo does not make me want to ski it. Been there, done that. I'll pass until it softens up one way or the other.

mikec142

I love Egan and hope they find a way bring him back in the fold, but saying you "can't put a price on that", is disingenious. You don't actually believe that SB should hand Egan a blank check.
I don't personally know John Egan. But I do love the idea of him and I love the idea of him being associated with Sugarbush. And like Howie (and others) I'd be very happy to see him back.

That said, things just don't work like that anymore. Sports teams move on from players all the time. Key people leave corporations all the time and the next guy steps up his game.

Personally, I'd love to see John back. In the meantime, I'd really like to see some young, hotshot instructor become the next "skiing face" of SB.

jimmywilson69

I've been to Sugarbush about 8 or 9 times and I've only ever skied it twice. It often is glistening in the sunshine and that's just not fun for me...

kingslug

I met john in the airport going to chile..didn't really recognize him but I was sure I knew him. Had on a VT shirt. Then I saw him at a Warren Miller movie night in Westchester..ahh..thats who it was.
I hope he finds something rewarding to do. Maybe start his own ski tour company.

WWF-VT

Steins is a lot of fun to ski when there is good early season natural snow cover. Then they blow a ton of snow and it becomes a styro-snow ice sheet that most people avoid until it softens up again in late March.

mikec142

Steins is a lot of fun to ski when there is good early season natural snow cover. Then they blow a ton of snow and it becomes a styro-snow ice sheet that most people avoid until it softens up again in late March.
styro-snow...perfect descriptor

djd66

I skied Steins last weekend and I literally could have been on my Bauer Ice Skates. FWIW, its always something I have been curious to try on the bullet proof stuff.

Slidebrook87

It’s a shame to be honest. I wish they would make snow on it early season, groom it relatively often, and let it be groomed every few days until mid-late February when snowmaking starts to build more coverage for the spring. It has been practically unskiable for the whole season. I would also add Sunrise to the list of trails that should be groomed more often. Nobody skis it bumped up.

djd66

It’s a shame to be honest. I wish they would make snow on it early season, groom it relatively often, and let it be groomed every few days until mid-late February when snowmaking starts to build more coverage for the spring. It has been practically unskiable for the whole season. I would also add Sunrise to the list of trails that should be groomed more often. Nobody skis it bumped up.
sunrise was groomed last week. Personally, I like when sunrise is bumped up, however after the thaw/freeze - it needed a grooming.

mikec142

Sunrise is a good one! That pod already has Morningstar (a hidden gem imho) for bumps and Birch gets the vast majority of the traffic. Would be cool to move some traffic to Sunrise. It's also wide enough that you could leave half bumped up kinda like Ripcord.

cdskier

Sunrise is a good one! That pod already has Morningstar (a hidden gem imho) for bumps and Birch gets the vast majority of the traffic. Would be cool to move some traffic to Sunrise. It's also wide enough that you could leave half bumped up kinda like Ripcord.
When they groom Sunrise, that's exactly what they do in the middle section. The top isn't really wide enough to do half groom/half bumps IMO...

Personally I like Sunrise being left to bump up and only groom it as needed when it gets too icy/firm.

HowieT2

I think they used to make snow on it earlier, but it needs so much snow to survive the spring, that it significantly delayed making snow on multiple other trails. With respect to grooming I think it needs to be winched.

HowieT2

When they groom Sunrise, that's exactly what they do in the middle section. The top isn't really wide enough to do half groom/half bumps IMO...

Personally I like Sunrise being left to bump up and only groom it as needed when it gets too icy/firm.
I like the bumps on sunrise especially with the ability to lap it quickly. That being said, its where I tore my acl.

tumbler

Article on ski area tailgating. I noticed last weekend that SB put in the snow report that no tailgating is allowed anywhere and I saw the parking lot guys break up a nice one in the heli lot. It went from encouraged to not allowed.

cdskier

Article on ski area tailgating. I noticed last weekend that SB put in the snow report that no tailgating is allowed anywhere and I saw the parking lot guys break up a nice one in the heli lot. It went from encouraged to not allowed.
The tailgating restrictions at SB were actually mentioned over a month ago in one of the blog posts. See here down towards the bottom: