• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

flakeydog

I am confident that they will hold out to may like they always do. We are below average on snowfall for sure but we hung on to it pretty well with no major thaws until now. It is a little scary to compare the big meltdown of 11-12 to this in terms of snow depth (see pic, Mt Mansfield stake) but that year we were in the 80s for almost a week, this is just 60s. Also, we stay open on man-made snow and those depths look good as compared to most other years. And of course we will get that april storm, we did in 2012 but it was just too late.
11_12 snow.JPG

KustyTheKlown

yep. we got less snow this year, but it all came in a ~6-8 time period with no mid winter thaws. jan-feb was so dreamy. of course my big trips this year were in December and March :ROFLMAO:

cdskier

aint over yet if the forecast for early next week holds
I'm really keeping my fingers crossed for next week. Last week I decided to take next week off in case it stays warm so I can still ski mid-week before we're down to only a few trails (still had 5 rollover days from last year to use). With some luck, maybe I'll get to ski some actual real snow. Also toying with the idea of making a drive down to K one day next week if I need a change of scenery.

slatham

Castlerock no surprise given YTD snowfall, steep, natural and south facing. A decent storm puts it back in action though.

jaybird

Castlemossweed Run .. 🤙
Was great while it lasted ..

Last edited:

mikec142

Over the past 10 years, my season has finished at the end of March mostly due to my kids local commitments. These days that isn't an issue. It's more of a...is it worth the 5.5 hour drive each direction...kinda thing. I think I skied on 3/31 and 4/1 after that huge spring storm in Mid-March...maybe that was three seasons ago. Because of that storm, pretty much all of LP was open and actually I think one of those days was ME's final day so we skied there too and it was almost all open.

Realistically, what will be skiable this season the weekend of 4/16-4/17 and after?

cdskier

Over the past 10 years, my season has finished at the end of March mostly due to my kids local commitments. These days that isn't an issue. It's more of a...is it worth the 5.5 hour drive each direction...kinda thing. I think I skied on 3/31 and 4/1 after that huge spring storm in Mid-March...maybe that was three seasons ago. Because of that storm, pretty much all of LP was open and actually I think one of those days was ME's final day so we skied there too and it was almost all open.

Realistically, what will be skiable this season the weekend of 4/16-4/17 and after?

I have absolutely no idea and wouldn't want to try to speculate too much now. It all depends on the weather. Obviously ME will be closed. Most likely Gate House would be done by then. So you're most likely looking at some form of skiing off Super Bravo/Valley House and maybe Heaven's Gate. On the low end, you could be down to just Stein's and Spring Fling. If it stays cool or we get snow, it could be more. Hard to say too much without knowing what will happen in terms of weather over the next 3 weeks. A lot can change in that time.

Hawk

Unless we get snow and it stays cold, my prediction for that weekend is this. And this might be a little wishful thinking:
- Snowball, Spring Fling, Steins, Allyns Travers, Ripchord, Upper Organgrinder, Domino Chute to Lower Organgrinder, Downspout, Lower Downspout, Coffee Run.
No Castlerock, no North Linx and I think the sun will kill Gate House

STREETSKIER

Total sno pack devastation in progress
Going to be an early end
Unless you like steins
Was a good week but very sad
Mrg closed yesterday

cdskier

Taking a walk yesterday afternoon and seeing everything melting even on the mountain was downright depressing...

flakeydog

Mt Mansfield snow stake is at 36”. Last year was 36” until May 22nd.
Last year was wacky (aside from the not being able to ski in April/May part) it was a a bit chilly mid april into early may. The snow depth on Mansfield really held steady from mid-March all the way to early May, very unusual. Then it warmed up, 5/15/20 was at 60", 5/22 30", 5/28 was 3". If you look at the records, the snow always goes super fast in May, even if it's at 80+ in mid-April. We are still a squeak ahead of the 2012 meltdown (36 vs 30 on that same day). Luckily we have man-made snow so what happens on top of Mt Mansfield does not always apply here but still interesting.
19_20 snow.JPG

Hawk

You can add twist, moonshine, paradise, morning star and lower bird land to the carnage list. Domino, mall and Spills will be your natural snow options for today.