• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

cdskier

I was thinking this morning...things really started to go downhill right after they groomed Middle Earth this year. Two predicted storms that week turned into duds. We then started having some thaw/freeze cycles. Mother Nature wasn't too happy with that decision apparently!

JimG.

Staff member
I was thinking this morning...things really started to go downhill right after they groomed Middle Earth this year. Two predicted storms that week turned into duds. We then started having some thaw/freeze cycles. Mother Nature wasn't too happy with that decision apparently!
Mother Nature wears a "stop the brutal grooming" shirt.

Hawk

woke up this morning and looked at the thermometer. 33 at 1800 feet. Yikes. there are about 20 brave skiers out there mostly skiing spring fling. I hope it warms up.

KustyTheKlown

i am actually glad to see snow on the trails from that view. i expected a more grim picture. twist and moonshine look like they are still skiable once the corn cycles.

your house view? very nice. good for you.

TSQURD

Here's a pic from about 3:30 yesterday from a slightly different perspective.

Attachments

• tempImageNGxaMw.png
    tempImageNGxaMw.png
    15.1 MB · Views: 54

Boxtop Willie

Excellent spring day. Snow is holding up well. Warmed up to mid 40s. Natural snow trails will be done after tomorrow's weather.

cdskier

woke up this morning and looked at the thermometer. 33 at 1800 feet. Yikes. there are about 20 brave skiers out there mostly skiing spring fling. I hope it warms up.

I went to Ellen to get some final turns in there. It softened up surprisingly quickly even though the temp wasn't changing much early on. Good thing this is the last weekend though for ME. Not much snow left below North Ridge over there.

165731535_5923870264305011_2327624907960153194_n.jpg

SkiingInABlueDream

This is moot at this point but just out curiosity, does anyone know or wants to guess how Slidebrook was last weekend? (3/20-21). I was there and had the option of a private pickup at German Farts Rd on Sunday, but opted not to. (Would've been taking first timers and was worried it'd be a Bad Time if coverage and surfaces were poor).

cdskier

Unless we get snow and it stays cold, my prediction for that weekend is this. And this might be a little wishful thinking:
- Snowball, Spring Fling, Steins, Allyns Travers, Ripchord, Upper Organgrinder, Domino Chute to Lower Organgrinder, Downspout, Lower Downspout, Coffee Run.
No Castlerock, no North Linx and I think the sun will kill Gate House

I'd put a giant question mark next to Lower Organgrinder and Downspout at least for the weekend in question after what I saw on the mountain today. I'm not sure either makes it another 2 weeks unless it gets and stays cold. And if they can't keep DS patched together, then we'd lose all the HG terrain no matter how much snow OG/RC still have. Even Snowball is going to give the groomers some work to keep open it seems...

Tonyr

Skied Lincoln Peak on Wednesday, Mt Ellen on Thursday, and Mt Ellen again today. There was a big difference in conditions from Wednesday through Sunday the sun and rain really did alot of damage. The bumps on Steins, Organgrinder, Spillsville, and even Paradise were really good on Wednesday. Thursday we called it early due to the sticky sink-in snow. I'm guessing those runs we did on Wednesday would be close to unskiable today from what I saw at Mt Ellen. Cinco de Mayo is going to be tough to make this year.

From Wednesday of Organgrinder, Steins, and Paradise....
20210324_134249~2.jpg

20210324_121218~2.jpg
original_8810ebea-8b3b-4fba-b48e-1d06d705c687_20210324_124244~2.jpg
These photos were from today under the Green Mountain Lift.....20210328_113237~2.jpg
20210328_114637.jpg