• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

pinnoke

cost of installing and maintaining a paved (State-funded) road vs. rural (character) unpaved route must certainly be a factor. I don't live uber-locally, but in Chittenden County, often taking the App Gap (paved but never smooth) #17 to SB. A major investment, with a most-certain increase in traffic if paved.

dblskifanatic

lol nope. But been over the road plenty. I'm ASSuming it's local opposition as people don't want a small increase of cars on that road from additional ski traffic as a trade-off for having a safe and passable road 365 days a year (save heavy snows of course).

That road gets really muddy on one side and has good pitch on the other and when it freezes it is a mess. Had to straddle a snow bank to get down due to freezing rain. It was a nail biter! Cars off the road everywhere and you hoped that you were not going to hit them or join them.

ducky

Paved roads on higher elevation steep slopes last about 3-5 years. Dirt roads easier to maintain. Also, the road falls within two towns' designations (not state).

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
That road gets really muddy on one side and has good pitch on the other and when it freezes it is a mess. Had to straddle a snow bank to get down due to freezing rain. It was a nail biter! Cars off the road everywhere and you hoped that you were not going to hit them or join them.

I don't take the Gap unless it's been below freezing for a week, hasn't snowed at all for a few days, and there's blue sky with no chance of precip. Heck I took it once this year and at the bottom of the dirt section the temp had gotten into the mid-30s with sun and it was already super muddy and rutted up.

ss20

Paved roads on higher elevation steep slopes last about 3-5 years. Dirt roads easier to maintain. Also, the road falls within two towns' designations (not state).

Ah thank you. Did not realize it was not a state road. I could see how a municipality would have a tough time getting the funds to pave that road. I'm sure it would also need some structural improvements to the sides as well.

cdskier

ducky's answer makes sense. I always sort of wondered myself and just figured it was a combination of cost and paving not holding up well to all the freeze/thaws and heaving it would experience in that area. I think I've only gone all the way over that road once (in the summer or fall). I'm coming from the western side of the greens when I drive up from NJ, so I have no reason to ever be on Roxbury gap road.

pinnoke

Settled!
Who skied today?! Upper mountain shut off due to wind holds. Sun's out now, but still windy and below freezing. Tuesday, and Wednesday morning look like more fun...

HowieT2

I've often wondered about this as I careened from frost heave to pothole on route 100. seems to me there hasnt been much progress in road construction tech since the days of the horse and buggy or the romans for that matter.
That being said, I have about 100 yards of dirt road to get to my driveway at home in westchester. The town has to do maintenance about 3-4 times a year on it. While I understand paving is expensive, constantly having to repair adds up to.

Boxtop Willie

Skied 10 to 1. Tale of two seasons. Practically mid winter at 10. Cold, windy as hell, HG/NL on wind hold. Fresh windblown 1-2". If waxed right, very nice "cream" on top of groomed. Exposed trails that were groomed early (Spring Fling) had a wind blown crust on top with fresh in the troughs. Upper Birdland was run of the day.
Then the sun came out, wind lessened (a bit) and all the groomers became excellent. Even though temps never got over 35, sun softened up the surface and everything improved. If it weren't for a work call at 2, I would have skied all day.

KustyTheKlown

im cautiously optimistic for friday to sunday. tho i am not sure yet if i have sights set on northern vermont or western maine

ss20

im cautiously optimistic for friday to sunday. tho i am not sure yet if i have sights set on northern vermont or western maine

The further west you go the better the snow with this system. ADK's have the best shot at 6"+, then northern VT. Very questionable for western Maine right now. Still a good amount of base left- I was doing some trees at SL over the weekend. Saddleback tomorrow!

Zand

As far as New England goes... Wouldnt count out a Jay jackpot in this one.

Whiteface might do the best overall though.

KustyTheKlown

As far as New England goes... Wouldnt count out a Jay jackpot in this one.

Whiteface might do the best overall though.

yea i just booked a room in stowe for thurs-fri nights and will ski jay fri and bush sat. then rutland hotel sat, killignton or stratton sun.

may be last hurrah, tho id like to hump out one more k weekend.

ducky

The frost line around here is 60”, more at elevation. If you are building a house, this is how deep your footings must be. Highways are built with this much base stone to avoid heaving. Expensive process. Look at 17. Gets repaved all the time and it’s currently like a mogul run.

Zand

yea i just booked a room in stowe for thurs-fri nights and will ski jay fri and bush sat. then rutland hotel sat, killignton or stratton sun.

may be last hurrah, tho id like to hump out one more k weekend.
I already told the wife that if Jay gets a foot then I'm not celebrating Easter this year lol.

It's killed me not going to Vermont this year (especially in mid January when they got crushed and NH got nothing). Glad Jay might give me a chance for one good Vermont day this year now that I'm good.

Is there an attestation form for the Indy Pass like they had for the Ikon pass? Haven't really paid attention.