The "Sugarbush Thread" - Page 510

AlpineZone

Page 510 of 633 FirstFirst ... 10410460500508509510511512520560610 ... LastLast
Results 5,091 to 5,100 of 6327
    I think the long lines for Casterock demonstrates how New England is currently deficient in narrow Ski trails.

Quote Originally Posted by Zand View Post
    There's 50 other ski areas in New England with way too much uphill capacity that you can go to but sure let's try to ruin the one that doesn't.
    Don’t worry. It won’t be changed any time soon.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Quote Originally Posted by benski View Post
    I think the long lines for Casterock demonstrates how New England is currently deficient in narrow Ski trails.
    I completely agree with this. I would also add the fact that there is a network of trails that are completely natural and without snowmaking.

I lived in Waitsfield in the mid 90s and when LBO bought the place there were plans for snowmaking, etc

The people wanted to crucify him, newspaper articles galore and he relented to transform everything but Castlerock. Glad that bullet got dodged.

My favorite time of the year is before they open the Castlerock lift and we hike from Paradise. As a snowboarder I just walk the whole way and there is zero difference in time between me and the skiers who ski the flats - generally about 20 mins. I get out of the way of passing skiers and they generally let me pass on the up-hills. In my late 50s I am good for about four hikes in a day. If the lift line is 30-40 minutes, why not just do the hike and get some solitude and exercise in the process? Without a doubt the experience (at current capacity or less) of uncrowded, narrow, natural terrain trails is what makes this such a great place. That and the woods. Sometimes, when Heaven's Gate is down, the reverse hike is worth it.

Tonight's storm downgraded a bit but still looking at 9-18". Will the lifts be running with 50mph northerly gusts? Better wax with some hard blue if so.

Yeah, I remember that. He probably would have turned Castle Rock into Oz or Whitecap. Sunday River west.

If the Balsams ever happens, I hope he isn't in charge of trail design.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Newpylong View Post
    I lived in Waitsfield in the mid 90s and when LBO bought the place there were plans for snowmaking, etc

The people wanted to crucify him, newspaper articles galore and he relented to transform everything but Castlerock. Glad that bullet got dodged.
    I have a 1994 POWDER Magazine with an article on this.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone
    Live, Ski, or Die!

Village Quad

Quote Originally Posted by tumbler View Post
    What is the life expectancy of a HSQ? Bravo and Gatehouse are 23 years old and as stated above has lot of hours on it. Slide Brook same age but much less hours.

Look at the line at GH on the weekends, those are the skiers you want to get back up on the hill learning to ski and not remembering their experience as standing in line. Thus the reasoning for a 6.

I would love to have Bravo be a 4 seater bubble- it's always windy. Doesn't have to be heated but taking the chill off would be nice. Nothing wrong with improved technology. I don't hear anyone pining to bring the old slow Sugar Bravo triple back...
    I am sure the reasons were many, but my wosh was the VQ would have gone up to GH are and relieved all the green trail riders and maybe some ski school folks. That would have solved the over-crowding GH - generally 9:30-11:30 or when SB is down. Has been a good year so far for lift issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Newpylong View Post

Wasn't the top of Castlerock also the original proposal by him to connect North and South? I seem to recall that as it was the shortest distance.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using AlpineZone mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by machski View Post
    Wasn't the top of Castlerock also the original proposal by him to connect North and South? I seem to recall that as it was the shortest distance.
    Top of North Lynx to top of GMX was the Slide Brook proposal, before LBO. That's the reasoning behind the original name for the lift up there... North Link Poma.

Thread Information