• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

Powder Whore

There's a handful of days left in the season and its snowing. Either you're skiing or you're not. Does the webcam really make a difference?

CastlerockMRV

Skiers left of Stein's this morning was 👌

Apparently one more surge of heavy snow mid afternoon before tapering back to lighter snow in the evening. Summit snow stake has been showing nothing w/ the wind but it looks like the storm total is 7" so far mid-mtn. KMart, Mt. Ellen tour, or hold out for some permissible uphill access to HG terrain tomorrow? Decisions decisions...

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Skiers left of Stein's this morning was 👌

Apparently one more surge of heavy snow mid afternoon before tapering back to lighter snow in the evening. Summit snow stake has been showing nothing w/ the wind but it looks like the storm total is 7" so far mid-mtn. KMart, Mt. Ellen tour, or hold out for some permissible uphill access to HG terrain tomorrow? Decisions decisions...

I don't want to sound like a Killington Fanboy as this is probably my 5th-ish positive Killington post in the SB thread! BUT...as far as lift-served terrain tomorrow Killington will have an infinitely better product than SB and all at higher elevation. North Ridge, Canyon, Superstar, K1, Snowdon 6 (probably the triple too), even Ramshead all spinning still. And also Killington can open up the top of Needle's, top of South Ridge, and top of Skyeburst IF they drop the nets and open up the Snowshed Crossover in its entirety. That's a lot of work so I'm not sure they'll do that but it's an easy poach once it's tracked out.

CastlerockMRV

I don't want to sound like a Killington Fanboy as this is probably my 5th-ish positive Killington post in the SB thread! BUT...as far as lift-served terrain tomorrow Killington will have an infinitely better product than SB and all at higher elevation. North Ridge, Canyon, Superstar, K1, Snowdon 6 (probably the triple too), even Ramshead all spinning still. And also Killington can open up the top of Needle's, top of South Ridge, and top of Skyeburst IF they drop the nets and open up the Snowshed Crossover in its entirety. That's a lot of work so I'm not sure they'll do that but it's an easy poach once it's tracked out.

I'm leaning in that direction too tbh. Saved 6 out of my 7 my Killington days for May Superstar bumps so might as well use one tomorrow, especially if they might pick up another 8" today on what already fell last night. Just hope it's not a total zoo!

KustyTheKlown

killington is the obvious play tomorrow for many reasons. i'm also very hopeful that most ikon holders have already exhausted their allotments.

ss20

I'm leaning in that direction too tbh. Saved 6 out of my 7 my Killington days for May Superstar bumps so might as well use one tomorrow, especially if they might pick up another 8" today on what already fell last night. Just hope it's not a total zoo!

I would not save for May. They blew very lean on Supe this year. I was thinking first weekend in May would be it, but this storm and a colder, possibly snowy week next week will certainly help them.

Not to say they didn't blow snow. They went deeper than I've seen in many years on Outer Limits and Skyeburst trying to keep Bear going further in the season to have an additional base area to spread people out. Unfortunately with the warm spring Bear still got nuked. OL was still very awesome and deep last weekend on its last day though!

KustyTheKlown

i was holding out hope they'd re-open bear, but i don't think that is happening. needles eye and skyeship stage 2 maybe...

cdskier

Wow...it is dumping out there. There's about 2-3" now sticking in my parking lot that wasn't there at 1PM. Personally I didn't care for the conditions this afternoon. Went out at 1PM and took 2 runs and called it a day. I wasn't a fan of the surface underneath the new snow on Snowball/Spring Fling. Maybe Steins was better this morning, but I wasn't super crazy about it either when I skied it (low vis wasn't helping though...).

cdskier

Personally I'm inclined to agree. Not that I have an interest in driving down there, but they're definitely much better setup to take advantage of a storm like this late in the season. If this storm was a week or 2 earlier it would have worked out well at SB with the terrain/lifts they still had open at the time.

HowieT2

Personally I'm inclined to agree. Not that I have an interest in driving down there, but they're definitely much better setup to take advantage of a storm like this late in the season. If this storm was a week or 2 earlier it would have worked out well at SB with the terrain/lifts they still had open at the time.
If only mt Ellen was open. Laps off the summit chair. Oh well.

skierinri

It got busy at noon?? Did you get there at noon?? It felt like a winter holiday week most of the day

KustyTheKlown

i started skiing at open and went sixpack>north ridge, took 3 laps on north ridge before a line formed, headed to canyon quad at 9 when it opened, and lapped it ski-on til 11. helps that the only way to get to canyon are blacks, mostly ungroomed, and some technically closed. went to superstar at 11 and the line was physically super long but it was really because they didn't have the corrals set up and it was a single file line. wait time was <10 min. then i went back over to the six and it was crazy, so i went to rams head, which was not ski on but like a 2 min wait. i never really ski ramshead, but with the fresh snow and the easy poaches it was fun. i didnt realize that poma lift was over there, and its liftline skied great. good day at killington. too many people but they were avoidable. i blame skiology facebook. i skied 26k vert in 6:15. normally at killington i can ski 40k in a 6 hour session, especially with no trees, so yea, some lines.

first few runs on ridge run, power line, side of rime, escapade, catwalk, downdraft were powder skiing. it got chowder chopped and a bit manky as the day went

Last edited:

ss20

I've never seen a more blatant disrespect for ropes than today! Tons of adventure skiing. East Fall had the quad-fecta of ice, rocks, dirt, oh and a rapidly eroding ice bridge over the sizable stream that runs under that trail. Dipper was fun but technically closed. Downdraft was my ROTD, with Ovation a close second. While ropes were still up, Needle's and High Road skied fair and K pushed the Crossover nets over so people could get by....kudos for that.

Wet snow that got wetter as the day continued. I have zero idea what to expect tomorrow for conditions. Hopefully we freeze tonight and let the groomers do their magic with plenty of new material to work with.

HowieT2

Line at the valley house appeared long in the morning, but it really was that it was single spaced into a double corral. Dissipated for the most part by noon.