• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

cdskier

A groomer had an accident all over Stein's. Delayed opening until 11 today.
View attachment 51546

I saw the groomer parked 1/4 of the way down Stein's on the webcam this morning when I woke up and suspected something was wrong... Right now I see Stein's is marked closed on the trail report. Any idea if that is just a temporary delay? Suppose I'll find out myself later this afternoon after work when I go out for a few runs.

spiderpig

I saw the groomer parked 1/4 of the way down Stein's on the webcam this morning when I woke up and suspected something was wrong... Right now I see Stein's is marked closed on the trail report. Any idea if that is just a temporary delay? Suppose I'll find out myself later this afternoon after work when I go out for a few runs.
They have to clean up all the fluid, so it depends on how quickly that goes. They thought it would definitely be done by tomorrow.

Attachments

• 20210423_112052.jpg
    20210423_112052.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 64

WinS

what a chore that must be!
It is. It could be open today but for sure tomorrow. i believe Skier’s right was groomed out this morning so it would ski ok today if it opens. Fortunately, Sugarbush has two winches on the LP side.

Newpylong

That must have been one bad hydraulic leak. I've never seen anyone take the time to remove it, we usually just tilled it under. :snow:

WinS

That must have been one bad hydraulic leak. I've never seen anyone take the time to remove it, we usually just tilled it under. :snow:
This does not “just get tilled under”. A spill like this is a serious environmental issue, is a reportable event to the State and Sugarbush has very strict clean-up protocols which it follows. Yesterday the patrollers and others shoveled the snow where the hydraulic fluid was into plastic bags and transported in them sleds down to Base area where it could be discarded properly as a hazardous waste material. One does not want stuff like hydraulic fluid getting into the water shed. It took the team all day to clean-up the spill. In speaking with a couple of patrollers at the top of the Valley lift, I learned that a number has been called and asked to wok even though they had left for the season. They are a very dedicated group of professionals. I think a few people got in a run just before the lift closed at 5pm, and the morning report shows that Stein‘s was groomed again last night, so it should be sweet and it softens up this Morning.

Newpylong

This does not “just get tilled under”. A spill like this is a serious environmental issue, is a reportable event to the State and Sugarbush has very strict clean-up protocols which it follows. Yesterday the patrollers and others shoveled the snow where the hydraulic fluid was into plastic bags and transported in them sleds down to Base area where it could be discarded properly as a hazardous waste material. One does not want stuff like hydraulic fluid getting into the water shed. It took the team all day to clean-up the spill. In speaking with a couple of patrollers at the top of the Valley lift, I learned that a number has been called and asked to wok even though they had left for the season. They are a very dedicated group of professionals. I think a few people got in a run just before the lift closed at 5pm, and the morning report shows that Stein‘s was groomed again last night, so it should be sweet and it softens up this Morning.
I think you'd be surprised at how few cat operators are going to get out of their warm machine at 2am in -5 to shovel up a small hydro leak. However I didn't say THIS spill would. Considering you could see it from the parking lot the entire length of Stein's, it must have been bad. That is a serious clean up job they deserve serious props.

Last edited:

cdskier

Great team effort on Friday to get Stein's cleaned up and ready for Saturday. Saturday was a great classic day of Spring skiing. Steins was just terrific and it was so much fun to see how much it changed from run to run. Skied non-stop from 9-3 before my legs had enough. Great job by the groomers too to keep Snowball open to get to Spring Fling which was fun to mix things up and rest a bit.

KustyTheKlown

i had a really nice mellow weekend at home, the first in a very long time, but a not small part of me regrets not skiing saturday.

this weekend I have my second vaccine dose on saturday, so that's out

so if anything, maybe 1-2 more days on superstar in mid-may, but I am probably done.

mikec142

i had a really nice mellow weekend at home, the first in a very long time, but a not small part of me regrets not skiing saturday.

this weekend I have my second vaccine dose on saturday, so that's out

so if anything, maybe 1-2 more days on superstar in mid-may, but I am probably done.
It's definitely a weird feeling. Almost like an on/off switch that gets flipped. I go from having zero issues with driving 5.5 hours in each direction to ski to not wanting to drive 1 mile to the local grocery store.

Shredmonkey254

It's definitely a weird feeling. Almost like an on/off switch that gets flipped. I go from having zero issues with driving 5.5 hours in each direction to ski to not wanting to drive 1 mile to the local grocery store.
Wow! It's a good thing you can't ski year round in these parts...
I've skied in New England during the months of October, November, December, January, February, March, April, May, June and July 5th (at tuck's). Been down south doing it in August so I've missed only September. Just gotta string that together in the same year and I would be a happy fella! Wish I wasn't done this year :-(

KustyTheKlown

i typically ski from november to may. i started in December this year and will likely miss May, but covid + slow start + bad spring.

if I lived out west I would probably hike to ski a little bit in most months if not all

kingslug

Was nice not driving 600 miles on a weekend..but bike season starts soon..so it will be down to 300 miles. And I'm going back to taking the trains..can't take the traffic and the driving..my car can't take it either..and it will be 400 a month cheaper..and less stress.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Was nice not driving 600 miles on a weekend..but bike season starts soon..so it will be down to 300 miles. And I'm going back to taking the trains..can't take the traffic and the driving..my car can't take it either..and it will be 400 a month cheaper..and less stress.

You putting in liquid gold as a gasoline additive? Or is your job to be a Federal Toll Bridge Inspector and you lap the Whitestone, Throgs Neck, and Triborough bridges all day? :LOL: