• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

cdskier

How is gas 450 a month for commuting? Based on your profile, you're in Stamford. Stamford to NYC round trip would be 80-90 miles a day. So let's say 450 miles a week. Even if you had a car that only got 20mpg, that's 22.5 gallons of gas per week or about 90 gallons a month. You'd have to be paying $5/gallon to hit $450 in gas expenses.

Anyway, those costs in general are a big reason for why I'd never want to commute into NYC.

WWF-VT

How is gas 450 a month for commuting? Based on your profile, you're in Stamford. Stamford to NYC round trip would be 80-90 miles a day. So let's say 450 miles a week. Even if you had a car that only got 20mpg, that's 22.5 gallons of gas per week or about 90 gallons a month. You'd have to be paying $5/gallon to hit $450 in gas expenses.

Anyway, those costs in general are a big reason for why I'd never want to commute into NYC.
What do commuting costs to NYC have to do with Sugarbush?

Hawk

If there is snow we ski. It always has been that way since the 80's I'll say that not having the full apre at Castlerock/Rumbles/on the plaza with bands and all kinds of comradery with my friends was kind of a drag. The first time I had beers on the plaza was 2 weeks ago. The rest of the year was on my deck or someone else's deck. I will not miss this years protocols.

To me bike season is all year so there is no real switchover except we do much more road biking. I think we had 3 weeks on the North Shore of Boston that we did not mountain bike but we did XC ski. Great year for biking.

kingslug

Back to skiing..can't wait to ski more at the Bush with the new pass...It was better in many ways than Stowe
yes gas calc was off...gas= 225.00 month just for commute
yes..it all sux

Last edited:

HowieT2

If there is snow we ski. It always has been that way since the 80's I'll say that not having the full apre at Castlerock/Rumbles/on the plaza with bands and all kinds of comradery with my friends was kind of a drag. The first time I had beers on the plaza was 2 weeks ago. The rest of the year was on my deck or someone else's deck. I will not miss this years protocols.

To me bike season is all year so there is no real switchover except we do much more road biking. I think we had 3 weeks on the North Shore of Boston that we did not mountain bike but we did XC ski. Great year for biking.
did my first warm weather shorts bike ride this past saturday. felt good.

I thoroughly enjoyed this ski season. It was infinitely better than what I was expecting. My wife, on the other hand, had a much bigger problem with the pandemic related changes. She hated booting up in the parking lot and having restrictions on going inside.

mikec142

did my first warm weather shorts bike ride this past saturday. felt good.

I thoroughly enjoyed this ski season. It was infinitely better than what I was expecting. My wife, on the other hand, had a much bigger problem with the pandemic related changes. She hated booting up in the parking lot and having restrictions on going inside.
I also thoroughly enjoyed the season and was shocked at how much I enjoyed it. Zero issues for me with booting up at the car...I've always done it. It would be nice for my wife to be able to hang at the lodge (she doesn't really ski much these days), but she also has little problem occupying herself while I ski with the kids. Skiing was one of the few things that really kept me sane during the colder months. I would have been pretty miserable if the season didn't pan out the way it did.

While I'm sure it wasn't great for Sugarbush, I found the lack of lift lines to be wonderful. Even the most busy day that I experienced this season was well within a reasonable wait.

The thing I missed was going out to dinner. Although to be frank, even that wasn't so bad...did a lot of take out. The kids were happy cuz they could watch netflix. I was okay with it because I'm exhausted after skiing anyway. That said, eating in your hotel room isn't ideal. Got better as the season went on and you could eat in the hotel lobby.

cdskier

I also thoroughly enjoyed the season and was shocked at how much I enjoyed it. Zero issues for me with booting up at the car...I've always done it. It would be nice for my wife to be able to hang at the lodge (she doesn't really ski much these days), but she also has little problem occupying herself while I ski with the kids. Skiing was one of the few things that really kept me sane during the colder months. I would have been pretty miserable if the season didn't pan out the way it did.

While I'm sure it wasn't great for Sugarbush, I found the lack of lift lines to be wonderful. Even the most busy day that I experienced this season was well within a reasonable wait.

The thing I missed was going out to dinner. Although to be frank, even that wasn't so bad...did a lot of take out. The kids were happy cuz they could watch netflix. I was okay with it because I'm exhausted after skiing anyway. That said, eating in your hotel room isn't ideal. Got better as the season went on and you could eat in the hotel lobby.

I'd echo most of these sentiments as well. I wasn't sure what to expect and thoroughly enjoyed the ability to be out there skiing. I'll also agree that a few less people on the slopes was definitely nice.

I did miss going out to dinner as well. Take-out just isn't the same, but I still tried to do it 1-2 times a week to make sure I was supporting the local restaurants.

HowieT2

Hello

Ikon Pass First Tracks will be available to eligible pass holders one designated morning per month in January, February and March 2022 at each participating destination. Participating destinations will designate the Ikon Pass First Track dates for each month, which may vary by destination. Ikon Pass First Track dates and more details will be announced by November 1, 2021. All dates are subject to change due to weather and operations.
Currently Steamboat, Winter Park Resort, Squaw Valley Alpine Meadows, Mammoth Mountain, June Mountain, Big Bear Mountain Resort, Stratton, Sugarbush Resort, Snowshoe, Crystal Mountain, Tremblant, Blue Mountain, Deer Valley Resort, and Solitude Mountain Resort will offer Ikon Pass First Tracks during the 21/22 season. Ikon Pass First Tracks is not available in the Southern Hemisphere for the 2021 winter season.
21/22 Ikon Pass, Ikon Base Pass, Ikon Base Plus Pass and Ikon Session Pass holders are eligible for Ikon Pass First Tracks, subject to pass access restrictions.

KustyTheKlown

looking forward to that 30 minutes of extra access on one random tuesday a month. (not hating, just in reality it will be a very difficult benefit for most to use).

Hawk

That sucks for me. I already bought the early ups. I think that they should either discount my early ups or.....let us out even earlier at 7am. Ya that's the ticket.

KustyTheKlown

Howie, where did you see that? Did you get a email presser?

its an email but its only one day a month in January feb and march with the specific day chosen by the resorts. appears to apply at all wholly owned alterras. you are fine with your easy ups purchase. this benefit is uber limited.

cdskier

I just got the e-mail on that a couple minutes ago. Agree with Kusty though that this appears very limited compared to the Early Ups that Hawk purchased.