• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

tumbler

That sucks for me. I already bought the early ups. I think that they should either discount my early ups or.....let us out even earlier at 7am. Ya that's the ticket.
Except it's still dark! There some mornings when it is snowing that 7:30 is pushing for daylight. Not complaining though!

WinS

I just got the e-mail on that a couple minutes ago. Agree with Kusty though that this appears very limited compared to the Early Ups that Hawk purchased.
It is very limited as I understand It. One day a month and each Resort chooses their own day. Hawk’s early-ups are weekends and Holidays.

cdskier

That is very impressive (if it is true) that the solar is paying for 41% of ALL energy consumed.
The various arrays in Sugarbush's "solar portfolio" generate 2.3MW. The newest one in the parking lot along the access road generates 133kW. The other arrays are off-site in several different locations in VT.

HowieT2

That is very impressive (if it is true) that the solar is paying for 41% of ALL energy consumed.
and they're saving 130k/year. I wonder of they have batteries attached to the arrays.

djd66

The various arrays in Sugarbush's "solar portfolio" generate 2.3MW. The newest one in the parking lot along the access road generates 133kW. The other arrays are off-site in several different locations in VT.
Thanks CD, I just re-read the article, now it makes sense. I questioned them generating enough power with the solar array they have on site. I’m all for solar, I’m just not a huge fan of the solar panels on route 100

djd66

and they're saving 130k/year. I wonder of they have batteries attached to the arrays.
I don’t think they have batteries- most likely all power that is generated goes right back into the grid.

mikec142

Thanks CD, I just re-read the article, now it makes sense. I questioned them generating enough power with the solar array they have on site. I’m all for solar, I’m just not a huge fan of the solar panels on route 100
I get your concern for the aesthetics along route 100. But I wonder what the viable options would be? Personally, at this point I'm so used to solar arrays that they just become part of the landscape. To me, it's almost like wearing a ski helmet. At first it was shocking and weird. Now its like second nature.

Good for SB for doing its part to help our environment. I'd love to find a way to go solar with no up front costs!

Hawk

I am completely the opposite. I really do not care about the aesthetic in areas that are already populated. Solar panels, wind farms, cell towers, whatever. The benefit far outweighs the detraction from whatever perceived beauty. I guess putting a tower in the middle of a pristine conservation area or a fragile environment is not ok. But in populated areas with lots of cars, houses and infrastructure, that should not be an issue if it is not overdone.

cdskier

What solar panels on route 100 are you referring to? I can't recall being bothered by any. I know there are some small panels down by Yestermorrow and Flatbread, but I don't think either of those have anything to do with Sugarbush and never saw a problem with either.

HowieT2

I am completely the opposite. I really do not care about the aesthetic in areas that are already populated. Solar panels, wind farms, cell towers, whatever. The benefit far outweighs the detraction from whatever perceived beauty. I guess putting a tower in the middle of a pristine conservation area or a fragile environment is not ok. But in populated areas with lots of cars, houses and infrastructure, that should not be an issue if it is not overdone.
This and consider the alternative fossil fuel burning generating stations

1dog

What solar panels on route 100 are you referring to? I can't recall being bothered by any. I know there are some small panels down by Yestermorrow and Flatbread, but I don't think either of those have anything to do with Sugarbush and never saw a problem with either.
F'ugly and really don't work very well. Best thing VT ever did was ban those gawd-awful windmills from the spin of the Greens. If you've seen the travesty of those just NW of Newfound Lake in NH - just an eyesore. So many of them do not operate on a regular basis either.
Drive to the Cape and see a couple spinning, a couple not so much.

Then there's this: https://www.aei.org/carpe-diem/the-environmental-fiasco-of-wind-energy/

There's more than one side to the energy story. Follow the money. https://www.powerlineblog.com/archives/2021/04/why-wind-and-solar-energy-are-doomed-to-failure.php

If it wasn't subsidized, it wouldn't be built, as its not cost-effective. French don't have a lot right, but they do have the nuclear gig right, clean, cheap, and 'renewable'.

Apparently they've solved the storage problem as well.

OK, hit it hard. I can take it. ( while you're at it, how do you solve the dead solar panel waste problem?)

tumbler

The panels at Yestermorrow and Flatbread were a bit jarring when they went in but I have kind of gotten used to them. I'm all for alternative energy but I find it a bit hypocritical that on a scenic corridor those are acceptable but the local zoning boards (for example) are telling people what their houses can and can't look like when they are not visible from major roads.

dblskifanatic

Well there is this in VT

Drive through Eastern Colorado and Kansas there are literally 1000s of wind turbines and it is ugly as all get out. They are visible as far as the eyes can see. Heading out to Palm Springs in CA there are what looks like thousands there too. When you drive by them some are spinning while others are not. What are they built out of, Where are they built. What is the chemical impact of building them? How long does one of these have to operate to breakeven?

djd66

The panels at Yestermorrow and Flatbread were a bit jarring when they went in but I have kind of gotten used to them. I'm all for alternative energy but I find it a bit hypocritical that on a scenic corridor those are acceptable but the local zoning boards (for example) are telling people what their houses can and can't look like when they are not visible from major roads.
Those are the ones I was referring to. Its personal preference - those things are butt ugly. I guess I am glad I don't live across the street from them.

Down here in Mass, I am putting them on top of my building and getting paid to do it.

Smellytele

Well there is this in VT

Drive through Eastern Colorado and Kansas there are literally 1000s of wind turbines and it is ugly as all get out. They are visible as far as the eyes can see. Heading out to Palm Springs in CA there are what looks like thousands there too. When you drive by them some are spinning while others are not. What are they built out of, Where are they built. What is the chemical impact of building them? How long does one of these have to operate to breakeven?
Eastern Colorado and Kansas are ugly on there own anyway