• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

Smellytele

From my recent trip to n.VT, it felt like every door in Chittendon & Franklin County has a "HELP WANTED" sign on it. It was crazy! One gets the sense that if you live in Vermont & dont have a job, there's a good chance it's by choice.
While I was out in Leadville Colorado this past week it was the same way. Restaurants and stores were closed certain days of the week. Mostly Tuesdays and Wednesdays. Of course I was in town Tuesday and Wednesday.

urungus

Maybe this will help many of the businesses that are desperately looking for help. Blows me away that there are actually over 10,000 people in VT still collecting when there is 3% unemployment.
3% of Vermont’s population of 623,989 would be 18,720 people. So the number of people collecting seems about right, when you consider some people are too young to work, etc

Also I find it sad that the reaction to people losing their unemployment benefits is not sympathy for the destitute, but “this will be great for businesses”.

jimmywilson69

Get back to work and stop living off my hard work. If you don't think people are loving not having to work and getting another $300 per week, you are sorely mistaken.

Hell I had an engineer apply for a position who lost his job last year and hasn't worked in a year. When asked in an initial phone interview why he hasn't worked, he essentially said that he was living off unemployment. Needless to say his resume went into the trash. I need motivated people not someone who is willing to coast ont the work of others.

So the moral of the story is we've been paying people to not work for way too long. EVERYONE is hiring and in most cases way above Minimum wage. Time for these folks tp Get off their ass and get a job.

thebigo

Maybe this will help many of the businesses that are desperately looking for help. Blows me away that there are actually over 10,000 people in VT still collecting when there is 3% unemployment.
NH got rid of the unemployment top-up several months ago, did not make a difference. The three amusement parks in the state are operating five days a week and when you go there are closed attractions; the attractions that are open are operated by one person instead of 2 - 3. Same with restaurants, most are reduced hours and only five days a week, others are at half capacity. We need the foreign labor back, people staying unemployed to collect an extra $300 / week are not about to stand in the blazing sun and run a roller-coaster all summer.

Smellytele

NH got rid of the unemployment top-up several months ago, did not make a difference. The three amusement parks in the state are operating five days a week and when you go there are closed attractions; the attractions that are open are operated by one person instead of 2 - 3. Same with restaurants, most are reduced hours and only five days a week, others are at half capacity. We need the foreign labor back, people staying unemployed to collect an extra $300 / week are not about to stand in the blazing sun and run a roller-coaster all summer.
You have to remember that while they may not work at the amusement park but the higher end (not saying high end) jobs are hiring less qualified people so the pool gets smaller for the low end jobs. It’s a domino effect.

raisingarizona

Get back to work and stop living off my hard work. If you don't think people are loving not having to work and getting another $300 per week, you are sorely mistaken.

Hell I had an engineer apply for a position who lost his job last year and hasn't worked in a year. When asked in an initial phone interview why he hasn't worked, he essentially said that he was living off unemployment. Needless to say his resume went into the trash. I need motivated people not someone who is willing to coast ont the work of others.

So the moral of the story is we've been paying people to not work for way too long. EVERYONE is hiring and in most cases way above Minimum wage. Time for these folks tp Get off their ass and get a job.
I agree with you but I can also see how people are fed up with giving up their time to make paychecks that can’t cover their basic bills.

kingslug

A vid I watched a few weeks ago put an interesting spin on the NYC problem. People are not only sick of making crap money and then spend it all on living in a small crap apt..but the whole scene is a bit depressing. He focused on riding the subways..and yeah I get it. But I never in my life went on unemployment. I always felt that even if you start at the bottom..if your good and someone sees that you can move up..you can't move up if you do nothing. After I sold my business I worked 3 jobs 7 days a week to pay for my house..so I have no sympathy for this. Now is a great opportunity for those willing to work..you may start at minimum wage but end up doing well.

jimmywilson69

Isn't private industry attempting to deal with the minimum wage? not because they want to, but because they have to. Yeah $15/hr isn't going to get you shit in NY

the fact of the matter is everything probably needs to cost more if labor is more expensive. I'm willing to deal with that

Hawk

Sugarbush theard goes covid, housing, NYC or politics once again. LOL

Back on Track......The Von Trapp greenhouse is closing at the end of the month. I will miss that place. If you have never walkded thier gardens, it is a spcail place. I think half of the perrenials that my wife has planted came from there. Good people.

cdskier

Back on Track......The Von Trapp greenhouse is closing at the end of the month. I will miss that place. If you have never walkded thier gardens, it is a spcail place. I think half of the perrenials that my wife has planted came from there. Good people.

Oh...that's sad. They have some absolutely beautiful gardens.

dblskifanatic

3% of Vermont’s population of 623,989 would be 18,720 people. So the number of people collecting seems about right, when you consider some people are too young to work, etc

Also I find it sad that the reaction to people losing their unemployment benefits is not sympathy for the destitute, but “this will be great for businesses”.

There have always been those who live off the system and many very capable. But many are uneducated and have nor drive so getting a check from the government is the easier thing to do. Unfortunately those ranks have grow with Covid. It is a different life style than most of us will ever understand. I knew people in my home town that got welfare checks and would work under the table at a local farm and do pretty good. There are two camps in the unemployed those who are looking for a job but cannot find one - I feel bad for them, and those who are collecting a check an do not plan to work I do not feel bad for those.

Great for business is not a bad thing - it is what drives our economy. Many of the businesses are the small businesses that struggle to exist.

Hawk

My wife was there last weekend and they said that it's time to do something different. The greenhouse and garden take up all of their time. They may do so pop up locations to sell perrenials and they will be letting people take picures in the gardens with appointments I thiink.

Hawk

It's easy for well off people to look down thier nose at the less fortunate. It's easy for well off people to classify anybody that needs a helping hand as lazy. It is hard to look at the overall picture and understand what the differences are.

Suagarbush looks awsome later this week. cant wait to get up there. Soon enough.

tumbler

Coming up on the 10 year anniversary of Irene. I wish the country had rallied around Covid they way Vermonters rallied around each other to recover from Irene. I spent a lot of time up there after Irene volunteering and I have never experienced a sense of community like that.

KustyTheKlown

sandy was similar in nyc. neighbors helping neighbors in a big way. and I presume new orleans after katrina felt similarly.

these were all localized disasters, with massive physical impacts in specific geographic areas and communities. its a lot easier to rally around your neighbors in the face of physical destruction vs doing anything on a national level, especially when the danger is so abstract and invisible

irene was such a nothing in nyc. i remember preparing as if we were about to get walloped and then it was a fizzle to nothing

djd66

I was up at the Bush last week and the Paradise Deli had to shut down the deli on Sunday because they did not have anyone to work. I have no idea what they are paying for wages, but they are certainly not some huge conglomerate that is banking million of $$. Will shutting off unemployment for the 3% that are on it help? Probably not, but at the end of the day - enough is enough! The small businesses that are relying on help to run their business are getting killed right now for many reasons and it certainly does not help matters when you are paying people who refuse to work.

dblskifanatic

It's easy for well off people to look down thier nose at the less fortunate. It's easy for well off people to classify anybody that needs a helping hand as lazy. It is hard to look at the overall picture and understand what the differences are.

Suagarbush looks awesome later this week. cant wait to get up there. Soon enough.

Look there are plenty of people that are able to work but the government dole is too easy to take and for some they make more. Our family got hit last year 3 of four boys lost their jobs and my wife and I also lost our jobs. Did any of us stick around to collect? NO! Two of our sons were getting more on unemployment yet for one his pride got him focused on a new job with in a month. Our other son, did take advantage of it for a bit then got bored and also found a job. Our youngest went into the military, I was furloughed with 2 months severance and found a job in about 1.5 months and my wife (3 months severance) had the greatest difficulty since the recruiting industry decided to under cut salaries big time. She was patient and got he old job back.

So I do have empathy the the truly unable to work of FIND a job. For those who want to kick back and have a hyper long vacation well I do not feel sorry for that. And yes there are many that are lazy. There are also some that do not want to start at the bottom but you have to start somewhere. Opportunity does not come looking for you it is the other way around.

HowieT2

I was up at the Bush last week and the Paradise Deli had to shut down the deli on Sunday because they did not have anyone to work. I have no idea what they are paying for wages, but they are certainly not some huge conglomerate that is banking million of $$. Will shutting off unemployment for the 3% that are on it help? Probably not, but at the end of the day - enough is enough! The small businesses that are relying on help to run their business are getting killed right now for many reasons and it certainly does not help matters when you are paying people who refuse to work.
I don't know why there is such a problem finding workers but the evidence to date doesnt support the argument that its due to overly generous unemployment benefits. https://www.nytimes.com/2021/08/23/opinion/workers-wages-recovery.html
maybe those benefits have to be unavailable for some time before workers feel compelled to return to work.