• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

cdskier

Has anyone heard if sugarbush will do quad packs or $30 thursdays at Mt Ellen again this year? I havent heard/seen anything but I figure some here may be "in the know".

In the past we would ski either wednesday or friday with the quad pass, and thurday at Mt Ellen 2-3 times per year.

Sadly, I think they are a thing of the past and if so, my days at Sugarbush will be severly limited if not gone....I cant swing last year's day pass prices for a famlty of four for 1 day + a night at a hotel on top of my other winter commitiments.

Thanks all, wont be too long now.

Just received an e-mail today saying Quad Packs are back. I believe the prices seem higher than I remember, although it has been a while since I bought one (and honestly I thought they were a bit TOO cheap for a while).

Purchase by October 14th and it is $399 for a transferable unrestricted quad pack. There's also a new mid-week Quad pack that is $299 through October 14th.

ScottySkis

Ask anybody who’s done it for a season or more: working on a mountain can be one of the best ways to spend a winter. A $15 resort-wide minimum wage, affordable employee housing options, free skiing, resort discounts, and flexible schedules are all great perks, but getting to join a hardworking, like-minded community that’s dedicated to enjoying our endless outdoor playground makes working at Sugarbush unlike anywhere else. The Mad River Valley is an amazing place to grow and call home, and truly let’s you enjoy the best of what Vermont has to offer. If you’re considering heading to the mountains this winter, or you’re already here and looking for a fun and exciting new opportunity- Sugarbush is hiring! Head to the link below for more information about open roles. Make this your best winter yet.

dblskifanatic

Just received an e-mail today saying Quad Packs are back. I believe the prices seem higher than I remember, although it has been a while since I bought one (and honestly I thought they were a bit TOO cheap for a while).

Purchase by October 14th and it is $399 for a transferable unrestricted quad pack. There's also a new mid-week Quad pack that is $299 through October 14th.

$100 for a day - nope!

mikec142

In 2019 I believe the early bird price on a no restriction quad pack was all in with taxes $285. The raise to $400 before taxes is a lot. It's indicative of what full pay single day lift tickets will cost (last year $169).

cdskier

In 2019 I believe the early bird price on a no restriction quad pack was all in with taxes $285. The raise to $400 before taxes is a lot. It's indicative of what full pay single day lift tickets will cost (last year $169).
Yea...it is pretty high (although as a passholder I'm not necessarily complaining if it means a bit less crowds). For comparison you could get a 4-pack of Epic tickets valid at Stowe for $300 (or only $255 if you're ok with holiday blackouts). Granted that is not a transferable product, so not an apples to apples comparison, but still pretty close.

Hawk

Ask anybody who’s done it for a season or more: working on a mountain can be one of the best ways to spend a winter. A $15 resort-wide minimum wage, affordable employee housing options, free skiing, resort discounts, and flexible schedules are all great perks, but getting to join a hardworking, like-minded community that’s dedicated to enjoying our endless outdoor playground makes working at Sugarbush unlike anywhere else. The Mad River Valley is an amazing place to grow and call home, and truly let’s you enjoy the best of what Vermont has to offer. If you’re considering heading to the mountains this winter, or you’re already here and looking for a fun and exciting new opportunity- Sugarbush is hiring! Head to the link below for more information about open roles. Make this your best winter yet.

I did it once a long time ago. Super fun and made life long friends. The issue at sugarbush is finding a place to live. Share house is the only way and Covid has made that option much more limited.

Hawk

The lack of qualified people for certain staffing positions will be a very big issue this year. I bet we see issues across the board that effect operations like lifts and food services.

Hawk

The price of the quad pack is a harbinger of the prices we will see at the window. Hold on to your wallet.

Personally I am not that concerned as a pass holder. Based on my observations and coversations last year, I think we at Sugarbush are going to see unpesidented numbers at the mountain this year. I am getting out early and then going skinning I think.

kingslug

To me $18.00 an hour to be a lift mechanic is a bit low..not an easy job and a lot of peoples lives are at stake due to the work performed on these machines.

mikec142

The price of the quad pack is a harbinger of the prices we will see at the window. Hold on to your wallet.

Personally I am not that concerned as a pass holder. Based on my observations and coversations last year, I think we at Sugarbush are going to see unpesidented numbers at the mountain this year. I am getting out early and then going skinning I think.
I'm somewhat concerned about crowding as well. For me, last season was great crowd wise. Even the most crowded weekend wasn't that bad. But I believe that was due to two main reasons. First, VT's strict quarantine rules kept some people away. Second, some people were more cautious than others (not judging) and that kept some people away. If VT doesn't have quarantine rules in place then all of those people will come. I would think running the lifts at full capacity will alleviate some of that crowding, but we shall see.

I'll be interested to see how the new season plays out for me and my family. We boot up at the car anyway, so no changes there. I think the biggest changes for us will be that my kids like to grab lunch in the lodge and my wife who no longer skis tends to hang in the lodge with a book or her laptop. If those options are available, they might be of interest to them. I'm cool either way...fully vaxxed, cool with wearing a mask indoors, also cool with sitting outside and grabbing a bite or using my car as my own personal ski lodge. Bottom line, when skiing solo, I'm all good. When skiing with the family, I'm happier, but have a few more logistical concerns on my mind because I'm all about making sure my family is happy. The happier they are, the more likely they are to endure the drive with me more often.

Either way, it is what it is. I'm just excited to be skiing again.

SkiTheEast

Don't want this to come across as tone deaf given we're still in the throes of a pandemic but genuinely curious what Alterra's longer term plan/vision is for Sugarbush, i.e. how they're prioritizing capital expenditures. I know Win has posted his wish list here in the past so wondering how that dovetails with any new corporate plans.

Given the timing of the sale right at the start of the pandemic we never saw any announcements from either Sugarbush or Alterra on 2020 or 2021 capital improvements (understandably given these trying times - though they still announced big investments in other portfolio resorts).

Hawk

I have been up here a fair amount. If they are doing any upgrades other than the new Vermont Adaptive expansion at North, it is not noticible. Actually they reworked the stream at the bottom of the Village Quad. They took out the culvert piping and made it open so you can see it. Not sure why but it looks nice.

Hawk

I'm somewhat concerned about crowding as well. For me, last season was great crowd wise. Even the most crowded weekend wasn't that bad. But I believe that was due to two main reasons. First, VT's strict quarantine rules kept some people away. Second, some people were more cautious than others (not judging) and that kept some people away. If VT doesn't have quarantine rules in place then all of those people will come. I would think running the lifts at full capacity will alleviate some of that crowding, but we shall see.

I'll be interested to see how the new season plays out for me and my family. We boot up at the car anyway, so no changes there. I think the biggest changes for us will be that my kids like to grab lunch in the lodge and my wife who no longer skis tends to hang in the lodge with a book or her laptop. If those options are available, they might be of interest to them. I'm cool either way...fully vaxxed, cool with wearing a mask indoors, also cool with sitting outside and grabbing a bite or using my car as my own personal ski lodge. Bottom line, when skiing solo, I'm all good. When skiing with the family, I'm happier, but have a few more logistical concerns on my mind because I'm all about making sure my family is happy. The happier they are, the more likely they are to endure the drive with me more often.

Either way, it is what it is. I'm just excited to be skiing again.
Yes I agree. It is what it is. I spent a good amount of time last year talking to bunches of new people. I was interested in what they thought. Just about every last one said that they loved Sugarbush and the vibe. They did not realize that the skiing was so good and the variety of options for skiing were so vase. Most were psyched that it became part of the IKON World and they were making it thier base mountian. The cat is out of the bag so to speak. ;-) There are going to be many, many new people out there. If you have a share house up here and are not afraid of new people, I would float it out there if you are looking for people.

cdskier

This is the last I recall seeing about what was planned this summer...

One of this summer’s bigger capital projects has already kicked off, as we have begun replacing all the snowmaking lines on Northstar at Mt. Ellen.

This snowmaking project is important as it will allow us to get beginner terrain at Mt. Ellen open much earlier in the season, which is feedback we hear from many of you. Other projects this year are focused on cleaning up our skiable wooded areas and slope maintenance (water bars, mowing, trail edging). We are also finalizing some other additional improvements and will be sharing them with you soon

Maybe those other "additional improvements" never came to fruition. Or I missed the announcement...

tumbler

I have been up here a fair amount. If they are doing any upgrades other than the new Vermont Adaptive expansion at North, it is not noticible. Actually they reworked the stream at the bottom of the Village Quad. They took out the culvert piping and made it open so you can see it. Not sure why but it looks nice.
My guess is it was a stream reclamation project required by the NFS as part of the new lift.