• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

djd66

They actually have this in the Delta Sky Clubs at DTW. The smaller ones on either end of the A concourse up on the Tram levels.
The international clubs (Air France in Terminal E) have self service for all the booze - including the scotch.

NYSnowflake

I was thinking the same thing. Not that someone can't have fun skiing the groomers as they do have enough of them to keep someone entertained. My brother is a primarily groomer guy and likes Sugarbush. My dad now sticks to groomers per doctor's orders and still loves SB.
Now that I think of it the past few times I’ve been at Sugarbush I skied trails that were not groomed and I was fine. I just stay off of Castlerock.

Hawk

Hawk -

Trust me,... I know how the bar works - my wife might say too well. I've been going to all the bars up there for too many years and I am a very heavy tipper. But plenty of times, I go and there is just 1 (maybe 2) bar tenders serving drinks for 200+ thirsty people + the wait staff. Maybe I'm too old, but I just don't have the patience to wait and try to get the bartenders attention when there are 20 others trying to do the same. I agree, staffing is an issue this year, however, I would think the amount of money the bartender makes for 4 hours of work - they could easily find more people. If not,... so be it. I just can't count the amount of times I have skipped happy hour and I'm sure I am not the only one. The Bar is one of the biggest profit centers - if they want to try and make up some revenue - that is one place they could. But what do I know?
I can understand the patience thing. I have less and less as I age also. It will be interestng to see what the landscape will be like. They still haven't formally stated what the indoor situation will be this year. Also with Shawn, Emily and a bunch of others now gone and Nina in charge of Castlerock and Hogans, maybe things will change. But I doubt we will see much this year. Not until they get the personnell thing figured out.

For the record I have never skipped apre at the castlerock excect for the peak holiday weekends or if we are doing something at Chez Henri's. It's where all my people are.

cdskier

They now have 6 camer's working on the web site.
I though they were starting snowmaking this week? I guess we will see.
The snow report says November 3rd is their expected start for snowmaking weather permitting...so that's today. Just need the temps now I guess. Currently 27 at the summit and 35 at mid... A few degrees colder at the summit would be good to start working their way down.

HowieT2

The snow report says November 3rd is their expected start for snowmaking weather permitting...so that's today. Just need the temps now I guess. Currently 27 at the summit and 35 at mid... A few degrees colder at the summit would be good to start working their way down.
it depends on the wet bulb temps but they may have a marginal opportunity before saturday.

djd66

They now have 9 web cams up and running! https://www.sugarbush.com/mountain/webcams

The new website will take some getting use to, but 9 web cams is definitely progress in the right direction. I remember when just get 1 web cam up was an issue.

Also, the cool thing about these web cams, they are recording 12 hours and you can actually slide back in time (up to 12 hours)

I would like to see the base, mid and peak temps as they had previously though,... that was very helpful in the morning when deciding how many layers to wear.

mikec142

Loving the new webcams. Would like to see the CR lift cam again too. Maybe a ME base cam as well.

Smellytele

They now have 9 web cams up and running! https://www.sugarbush.com/mountain/webcams
The new website will take some getting use to, but 9 web cams is definitely progress in the right direction. I remember when just get 1 web cam up was an issue.

Also, the cool thing about these web cams, they are recording 12 hours and you can actually slide back in time (up to 12 hours)

I would like to see the base, mid and peak temps as they had previously though,... that was very helpful in the morning when deciding how many layers to wear.
You can see all three temps just need the click on the upper left(I think)

cdskier

Loving the new webcams. Would like to see the CR lift cam again too. Maybe a ME base cam as well.
I bet those will come back too...in the past they often didn't put up certain cam feeds until the lifts were actually open. So them not being there now is in line with what they did in the past. Plus it looks like they're constantly adding stuff a little bit at a time to the new site (although I have to say as an IT guy, this sort of is a pet peeve of mine as I would want everything ready to go first in a dev/staging/pre-prod type environment and only move to production when everything is ready).

Newpylong

Most places don't do that anymore. With agile development the push is to get components out in smaller sprints vs massive releases. It makes a lot of sense to do this when adding features to a web site.

cdskier

Most places don't do that anymore. With agile development the push is to get components out in smaller sprints vs massive releases. It makes a lot of sense to do this when adding features to a web site.
Yea...we've had a big push over the last year or so to move to agile. There are certainly a lot of benefits to it, although I also have some mixed feelings on agile methodology (not agile itself, but the way people use it). Too often people use it as an excuse to release half-finished things in my experience. Then users notice missing/broken features/functionality and complain. Wanting to get things out there faster in smaller pieces is one thing, but a sprint should be properly setup so it doesn't "appear" to be a half-finished idea/system/rollout from a user perspective and doesn't break things (or it should be properly communicated that more features are planned).

teleo

Like the new cams. Hope all the lift line ones are added back.

Bummer that you have to click for upper, mid, base temps when old app showed all 3 for both mountains at once. And their blog states "You’ll find that information is much more centralized and consolidated." DOH.

Feature request please if anyone is looking here.

cdskier

The new app is also available to be downloaded/installed.

There's 2 ways to get to weather info. From the main screen there's a weather "widget" that you can click on. Shows 1 temp plus forecast and snow info. You can also click "Info" on the bottom menu and then click "Temperatures" from there which essentially just brings you to the conditions page on the SB website (where you can get to the base/mid/summit temps via additional clicks...which again is just silly and pointless).

Webcams can also be accessed via the app 2 different ways. On the main screen there's a "View our Webcams" widget which opens up a lovely page that says "Webcams" at the top and is completely blank. The 2nd way is to again go to "Info" on the bottom menu and click "Webcams" from there which opens the Webcams page from their website and seems to work fine to see all the cams.

Trail status from the main screen of the app again is another "Did anyone familiar with Sugarbush actually test this out" example... It is one giant list of every single trail (and the status of it) in alphabetical order. No separation of LP vs ME trails even...

To access the "Live map and tracking" you have to sign in...which I'm not about to do. The "Map" menu option at the bottom of the app might be ok if you want to find where different services are located in the base area...but it seems useless as an actual trail map.

Hopefully they get this refined and release an updated version...

SkiTheEast

Saw the new app is out as well. Name of the app comes up as SugarBush (d'oh!). First impressions are that the map feature is cool to point out all the various services/restaurants, etc for people that have never been. One thing that would be cool to integrate would be the
ski shuttle up along the access road and the condo routes. I see they marked the stops for the Lincoln Peak base and Mt. Ellen base.

SkiTheEast

There's 2 ways to get to weather info. From the main screen there's a weather "widget" that you can click on. Shows 1 temp plus forecast and snow info. You can also click "Info" on the bottom menu and then click "Temperatures" from there which essentially just brings you to the conditions page on the SB website (where you can get to the base/mid/summit temps via additional clicks...which again is just silly and pointless).

Webcams can also be accessed via the app 2 different ways. On the main screen there's a "View our Webcams" widget which opens up a lovely page that says "Webcams" at the top and is completely blank. The 2nd way is to again go to "Info" on the bottom menu and click "Webcams" from there which opens the Webcams page from their website and seems to work fine to see all the cams.

Trail status from the main screen of the app again is another "Did anyone familiar with Sugarbush actually test this out" example... It is one giant list of every single trail (and the status of it) in alphabetical order. No separation of LP vs ME trails even...

To access the "Live map and tracking" you have to sign in...which I'm not about to do. The "Map" menu option at the bottom of the app might be ok if you want to find where different services are located in the base area...but it seems useless as an actual trail map.

Good call, literally just downloaded so hadn't put it thru the paces yet but good observations. Can't really see myself using the map in it's current form.

Last edited:

djd66

CD - you should be given a free pass for your QC consulting! Seems strange that it was not given a basic QC before going live,… maybe they were counting on us to do the QC for them!