• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

djd66

I know other may feel differently, but I would prefer they don't blow the snow making budget just to get a couple of early trails open,... only to watch them melt away a week later. I'd prefer they wait until there is sustainable cold weather and then just blast away! Then, any of that snow making budget that they save now, use that for multiple refreshes after the inevitable melt down(s) we get throughout the meat of the season - including after February vacation which is typically when they completely shut down snowmaking.

tumbler

They don't do refreshes anymore, it's park on trail for a week, put down a bunch of slop then strip it and move on. They gamble that after the ra*n events that the backside will turn to snow and bond to the wet snowpack.

slatham

I know other may feel differently, but I would prefer they don't blow the snow making budget just to get a couple of early trails open,... only to watch them melt away a week later. I'd prefer they wait until there is sustainable cold weather and then just blast away! Then, any of that snow making budget that they save now, use that for multiple refreshes after the inevitable melt down(s) we get throughout the meat of the season - including after February vacation which is typically when they completely shut down snowmaking.
I disagree. Its past mid-November, and while this cold snap is only fair, the following warm up looks to be minor and only 36 hours. Then it's cold again. I'd agree if this cold snap was followed by a furnace blast but right now given calendar and forecast it is go time. And go hard.

djd66

Just like the Orange Cones set up on the Mass Pike in April,... you can always count on Arm Chair Quarterbacking of what is the best for snowmaking approach in November! I actually enjoy reading all the opinions until it gets old! Have at it! :ROFLMAO:

cdskier

No snow on Mt Ellen, yes. I highly doubt the snow they made on OG and Jester is gone. Heck even the dusting Stratton made is still showing, and Sugarbush pounded. They did not however hit Downspout. This week's window looks like late Saturday evening up high through Wednesday, IMHO they can't get enough snow down to open anything other than Jester, DS and OG. That would require downloading. I do not know if they would consider that.
I agree they may have to do only Jester, DS, and OG to hit their target date. And they've certainly done that in the past with downloading on bravo (last year they could have done that but chose not to open until they could get lower terrain open to spread people out more due to COVID...this year that really isn't really relevant), so I'd say it is something they would definitely consider.

As for snowmaking last week, anything below Allyn's lodge that they made was minimal due to the marginal temps at that elevation. Even what was made on DS just below Allyn's where they did try has melted a lot. I'm sure production higher up was much better though and is holding on more.

villager

Interesting article in the Valley Reporter. I wonder what lifts they're considering adding or replacing?

“Does that mean new lifts?” Friedman asked.

“Absolutely, but we’re not ready to announce those details right now. We do have master development plans for other projects including an employee village,” he (Hammond) explained.

Powder Whore

Interesting article in the Valley Reporter. I wonder what lifts they're considering adding or replacing?

“Does that mean new lifts?” Friedman asked.

“Absolutely, but we’re not ready to announce those details right now. We do have master development plans for other projects including an employee village,” he (Hammond) explained.
Does this elude to replacing existing lifts or terrain expansions? I fear it's the latter.
#SAVEtheSTASHES

cdskier

Seriously, do you understand VT laws specifically ACT250? They MAY WANT expansion, but that is a long way from here to there. Especially when you are completely in the GMNF.
I largely agree that expansion is a long way off (and it isn't even clear if the reference to new lifts was as replacements for existing ones or something entirely new), however Sugarbush is not "completely in the GMNF". Lincoln Peak is mostly USFS land, however Mt Ellen is mostly privately owned with the exception of a bit near the summit plus there's an easement for the long trail along the entire ridgeline along the privately owned part of the property.

Powder Whore

Seriously, do you understand VT laws specifically ACT250? They MAY WANT expansion, but that is a long way from here to there. Especially when you are completely in the GMNF.
Seriously, you don't have to yell. I got feelings also. I have seen an expansion plan for ME & and it totally blows up spots that I ski 3-4 days a week.

SkiTheEast

Seriously, you don't have to yell. I got feelings also. I have seen an expansion plan for ME & and it totally blows up spots that I ski 3-4 days a week.
Yeah, it's no secret Hammond has discussed potential for new trail pod above Inverness pretty recently. As noted above though, shouldn't jump to conclusion on new vs expansion. I'd assume they'd have to start putting plans to together for eventual replacement of some of the lifts. The vast majority are approaching 30 years old...would expect to see a little of both.

I've posted this before but heres the 2008 Vegetation Management Plan which shows a few potential expansion spots from 10+ years ago:

cdskier

Yeah, it's no secret Hammond has discussed potential for new trail pod above Inverness pretty recently. As noted above though, shouldn't jump to conclusion on new vs expansion. I'd assume they'd have to start putting plans to together for eventual replacement of some of the lifts. The vast majority are approaching 30 years old...would expect to see a little of both.

I've posted this before but heres the 2008 Vegetation Management Plan which shows a few potential expansion spots from 10+ years ago:

I almost posted a screenshot of the page from that document showing the boundaries of USFS vs private land in my earlier post. I do think the pod above Inverness probably makes more sense than most other locations if they were to follow through with any terrain expansions. With the snow-making limitations, you need something higher elevation.

On a snow-making note, that project that was previously discussed to build a holding pond by the Sugarbush Inn so they can increase capacity at LP really needs to be one of the first priorities in my opinion for any CapEx projects. You really need to be able to take full advantage of smaller cold snaps early in the season to get terrain ready and open.

Hawk

I almost posted a screenshot of the page from that document showing the boundaries of USFS vs private land in my earlier post. I do think the pod above Inverness probably makes more sense than most other locations if they were to follow through with any terrain expansions. With the snow-making limitations, you need something higher elevation.

On a snow-making note, that project that was previously discussed to build a holding pond by the Sugarbush Inn so they can increase capacity at LP really needs to be one of the first priorities in my opinion for any CapEx projects. You really need to be able to take full advantage of smaller cold snaps early in the season to get terrain ready and open.
Like said above, Win and now John Hammond have said that the new focus is climate based and they understand the need for inproved water capacity and snow making ability. The new pond and better piping and pumps will be the first focus. Then they will be looking at lifts and lift maintenence. The new terrain is pretty far off although the pod above inverness is something that has been on the radar for years. I would bet that is the first place they are going. I think your"stashes" are safe. LOL

The other thing that I heard is somthing of insterest to Altera is the new hotel / conference center that can be used for both seasons. This will be located in the space between the Village quad and the school house. It gives them a new venue for wedding overflow, conferences of all sizes and ski and stay options for short term stays for smaller groups that do not want a condo or Claybrook's amenities.

Hawk

I agree they may have to do only Jester, DS, and OG to hit their target date. And they've certainly done that in the past with downloading on bravo (last year they could have done that but chose not to open until they could get lower terrain open to spread people out more due to COVID...this year that really isn't really relevant), so I'd say it is something they would definitely consider.

As for snowmaking last week, anything below Allyn's lodge that they made was minimal due to the marginal temps at that elevation. Even what was made on DS just below Allyn's where they did try has melted a lot. I'm sure production higher up was much better though and is holding on more.
I ski early and late pretty much every year and I will always advocate for early snowmaking. The snow making budget is always the same and they always start at the same time. This has never changed in the last 20 years or so. I actually really like the early season becuse it is always the same people, we have the mountain to ourselves and it is always really fun no mater the conditions. Actually the skiing is usually pretty good with either fresh snow or soft snow when it warms up. It is what it is and I just hope to be on snow soon.

KustyTheKlown

6” on the stake, more to come this afternoon, warm up with rain weds but back end gets snowy, then cold temps into and thru the weekend. we skiing Saturday?

Kingslug20

Think I'll be up at Stowe the 27th if all my packing is done for the house...or..maybe if it all isn't totally done...