• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

shadyjay

Website
linktr.ee
North Ridge was the original GMX, built by Poma, installed in 1990. In 1995, ASC had Doppelmayr relocate it to its present location. Up until a couple of years ago when the terminals were repainted, the bottom terminal side facing the woods still read "Green Mountain Express".

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
North Ridge was the original GMX, built by Poma, installed in 1990. In 1995, ASC had Doppelmayr relocate it to its present location. Up until a couple of years ago when the terminals were repainted, the bottom terminal side facing the woods still read "Green Mountain Express".

What is the life expectancy of a chairlift anyway ?

thetrailboss

Staff member

Spot on as always

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

thetrailboss

Staff member
Win learned his lesson. The last time that Sugarbush had Doppelmeyr come and work on that lift they messed it up big time. It's a Poma lift. It should be maintained by Poma

deadheadskier

Staff member
I'd say 30 for a HSQ and 50 for a fixed grip is a good estimate.

I'm not sure of a HSQ in New England that has been fully replaced due to age instead of a capacity upgrade other than the Forerunner at Stowe.

The original Forerunner went in for the 1996 season.

I'd say the top lift priorities at SB now are Heavens Gate and Northridge. I'd put the Valley House replacement on the back burner until those two lifts have rock solid dependability

thetrailboss

Staff member
I'd say 30 for a HSQ and 50 for a fixed grip is a good estimate.

I'm not sure of a HSQ in New England that has been fully replaced due to age instead of a capacity upgrade other than the Forerunner at Stowe.

The original Forerunner went in for the 1996 season.

I'd say the top lift priorities at SB now are Heavens Gate and Northridge. I'd put the Valley House replacement on the back burner until those two lifts have rock solid dependability

Well to be fair the high-speed quads by Yan that were at Killington and Sunday River Have been refurbished and essentially replaced.

thetrailboss

Staff member
The "Sugarbush Thread"

And I think that the original four runner was in 1986. It had a lot of problems to during its first season. The technology on that lift actually is not very much different from the current North Ridge quad (cadence chain).

skiNEwhere

I can't think of many chairlifts close to 50 years old....maybe at smuugs? While they theoretically can go that long, they usually get replaced before that. Concrete tower footings being a big culprit.

thetrailboss

Staff member
I can't think of many chairlifts close to 50 years old....maybe at smuugs? While they theoretically can go that long, they usually get replaced before that. Concrete tower footings being a big culprit.

I think some of the problem with the concrete footings is that back in the day they did not use rebar. I know that Middlebury's double had that issue. I wonder if Smuggs has redone some of those footings.