• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

cdskier

Was there yesterday. They had every tower gun going and at least 7 or 8 ground guns on rip cord. Had 1 going at the intersection of organ grinder and death spout. Deathspout needs to be just about completely reblown. Mostly last pitch before bottom of heaven’s gate. Trail was like skiing on chocolate chip ice cream with freezer burn.
I had a feeling there was one going at the intersection of OG and DS. The surface on skier's left exactly at that point felt like freshly frozen man-made snow...

Smellytele

I had a feeling there was one going at the intersection of OG and DS. The surface on skier's left exactly at that point felt like freshly frozen man-made snow...
They had one down further one lower jester (maybe at the junction with lower organ grinder). Weird that it was just this lonely one going where there was lots of other thin to bare trail around it.

WinS

They had one down further one lower jester (maybe at the junction with lower organ grinder). Weird that it was just this lonely one going where there was lots of other thin to bare trail around it.
That was most likely the overflow for what was running up higher.

jaybird

Was there yesterday. They had every tower gun going and at least 7 or 8 ground guns on rip cord. Had 1 going at the intersection of organ grinder and death spout. Deathspout needs to be just about completely reblown. Mostly last pitch before bottom of heaven’s gate. Trail was like skiing on chocolate chip ice cream with freezer burn.
Yeah .. snausages .. everywhere.
At least the snow makers had a good shingle slide run down Ripcord. Sad the groomers have such little to work with.

Maybe next week. Keep hope alive.

slatham

They will have an opportunity this afternoon through tomorrow am. Then the weekend with a pattern change. Finally. Hope it holds.

cdskier

They were making snow today on DS on the last section between Paradise Extension and the HG chair loading area. They were also making snow on Ripcord and then turned the guns on Lower Ripcord on too as the morning went on.

HowieT2

They were making snow today on DS on the last section between Paradise Extension and the HG chair loading area. They were also making snow on Ripcord and then turned the guns on Lower Ripcord on too as the morning went on.
forecast improves once the ugliness of tomorrow passes. maybe we can avoid the grinch this year for a change.

Slidebrook87

Not sure if it will come to fruition or not, but it looks like there's some potential for snow Saturday evening and night.

cdskier

They had the tower guns going on DS overnight and were turning them off at open this morning. They were also shutting down the guns on Ripcord this morning. Production overnight looked pretty good, although it still looks like lower RC needs more snow-making time before they'll be able to open it. Upper RC looks much closer. They also pushed out at least the bottom part of lower OG, although I couldn't tell how high up they were able to push it out. The entrances off DS aren't pushed out and look like they need more snow (although it is hard to get a good view so I could easily be wrong).

Smellytele

They had the tower guns going on DS overnight and were turning them off at open this morning. They were also shutting down the guns on Ripcord this morning. Production overnight looked pretty good, although it still looks like lower RC needs more snow-making time before they'll be able to open it. Upper RC looks much closer. They also pushed out at least the bottom part of lower OG, although I couldn't tell how high up they were able to push it out. The entrances off DS aren't pushed out and look like they need more snow (although it is hard to get a good view so I could easily be wrong).
Upper RC looked like it could have opened Sunday afternoon

keyser soze

I'm not sure which trails the webcams are on, but it looked like a couple of trails had good cover, but there was no traffic on them so I assume they are not opened yet.

cdskier

I'm not sure which trails the webcams are on, but it looked like a couple of trails had good cover, but there was no traffic on them so I assume they are not opened yet.
Which webcam(s)? Most trails visible on the webcams should be open...

Hawk

I think he's talking about upper rip chord. If it is not open it is probably because it is thick and sticky. The coverage is there. it is listed as not open.

cdskier

I think he's talking about upper rip chord. If it is not open it is probably because it is thick and sticky. The coverage is there. it is listed as not open.
I just went through the cams and agree that must be what he's talking about since it is visible from the HG Top webcam. Coverage on RC itself is there...but I'm not sure where you'd exit after RC. Lower RC still had a ways to go from what it looked like this morning. Paradise Extension looked pretty bare at the end by DS.

Smellytele

I just went through the cams and agree that must be what he's talking about since it is visible from the HG Top webcam. Coverage on RC itself is there...but I'm not sure where you'd exit after RC. Lower RC still had a ways to go from what it looked like this morning. Paradise Extension looked pretty bare at the end by DS.
Couple of weeks ago I was exiting where spillsville and ripcord join

cdskier

Couple of weeks ago I was exiting where spillsville and ripcord join
That would be Paradise Extension...which was open for a bit when RC and Spillsville were both open on natural snow. I didn't see anything in person until after last weekend's warmth and rain, but it looks like that weather last Saturday wiped out that option until more snow falls.

There's another "path" that cuts off Spillsville close to the bottom but above Paradise Extension that goes over to OG. It is usually roped off, but I have seen it used once in a while early season to give a route off SV/RC. I don't recall looking at how much snow was on that route on any of my trips up HG this week though.

cdskier

Yup...I knew it was "Route" something...but always forget the number.

Hawk

Sugarbash this Friday from 6 to 9 in the Castlerock? No Grift it seems either. Kind of depressing. Most of the regular people will not be able to attend. Must be a covid thing so keep the numbers down.