• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

machski

Sunday River is certainly kicking ass and taking names. You guys have routes down every peak this weekend with over 50 trails. This at a mountain that is 1000 feet shorter. If Sugarbush had 1/2 that capacity we would be killing it right now. And the head lines on the website front page always say what is opening next. I am not sure how many here have skied so far this year but I am worried about how many will show this year. You can feel the pulse. It is different. Very shortly we will need more terrain or it will be chaos.
Yup, they are doing great at both making and expanding and keeping everyone informed of the plans. We have Epic locals this year too, and Vail is horrible at communications (though Crotched just bucked that trend) and not great at expanding out. Sugarbush probably lands in between but far better than Vail stuff.

WWF-VT

Was talking to a snowmaker as they were shutting down DS yesterday. He said it wasnt just one pipe.
Heard that upper mountain snow making at Mt Ellen is not so much an issue with pipes but the lack of ability to have lift access if the terrain was open. Riemergasse is still likely a week away from opening .

mikec142

This was from a text I sent to a friend this AM.

Got on Interstate 89 from Burlington towards Sugarbush in a light rain. After about two exits felt the car slide just slightly (thought I was imagining things). Then noticed the car ahead of me fishtailing all over the road. Started to fishtail a bit. Managed to get it under control (as did the car in front of me). Passed a couple of cars in the ditch on the side of the road. Made the executive decision to turn around. SB crediting the kids lift tix to a future day (very appreciative of their generosity) Apparently that light rain is freezing rain. Car is totally crusted over. It’s about an hour later and I think my heart rate has normalized. FYI…I have snow tires on my car.

Kingslug20

Hope so..ive done some sliding around up there when its like this....worried about my wife..she hasnt done much driving lately..we have snow tires though...
Moving in the winter was not in the plan

ThatGuy

Hope so..ive done some sliding around up there when its like this....worried about my wife..she hasnt done much driving lately..we have snow tires though...
Stay safe out there MrSlug winter moves are definitely no fun

Newpylong

Sunday River is certainly kicking ass and taking names. You guys have routes down every peak this weekend with over 50 trails. This at a mountain that is 1000 feet shorter. If Sugarbush had 1/2 that capacity we would be killing it right now. And the head lines on the website front page always say what is opening next. I am not sure how many here have skied so far this year but I am worried about how many will show this year. You can feel the pulse. It is different. Very shortly we will need more terrain or it will be chaos.

Unless things have changed recently they have a ways to go. Lincoln is roughly 3500 GPM / 16000 CFM and the Ellen side (2800 GPM / 12000 CFM) is a little weird with the split system (smaller pumps only on Inverness and the rest for the balance of the mountain.) In general, both of those systems are very undersized per skiable acre.

I haven't been a Sugarbush regular since I was in the valley from 95 to 99 but I can tell you that ASC blew the snot out of both sides. They also covered Exterminator in lean years (we actually used to train GS on it sometimes). They had supplemental diesel to get around the curtailment that shut those Centacs down now. They used the SR7s and Rats to handle the marginal (when the Snow Logics can't run now.) It seems like they're now dealing with all of that cheap steel that ASC put in from the sounds of it. Obviously not an apples to apples comparison as energy costs have skyrocketed since that era, but just to provide some historical info.

I think Win's plan (and Alterra's if they do it) to upgrade the uplines on the water distribution side will probably have the most positive effect. Your uplines need to be of a sufficient diameter to handle the volume (and reduce friction loss) to be able to split and feed your smaller feeds on multiple trails. Then you need to be able to supply those feeds with adequate water. May be an issue bringing more up from the Mad River pond and the Brook weir at Ellen?

Last edited:

NYSnowflake

Any tips on which trails will be the best tomorrow? I am skiing solo while Mr. Snowflake teaches (first day). I usually stick to single diamonds or easier. I also wouldn’t mind meeting up to make a few turns if anyone is around.

thetrailboss

Staff member
I’ve moved twice during the winter (last two moves actually). We were pretty lucky. After the last move we got two huge snowstorms so I learned that a snowblower was a must!

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Any tips on which trails will be the best tomorrow? I am skiing solo while Mr. Snowflake teaches (first day). I usually stick to single diamonds or easier. I also wouldn’t mind meeting up to make a few turns if anyone is around.

First day ever? On the post-Christmas weekend in freeze thaw conditions?

Buy him his favorite, strongest liquor!

The Poacher

Heard that upper mountain snow making at Mt Ellen is not so much an issue with pipes but the lack of ability to have lift access if the terrain was open. Riemergasse is still likely a week away from opening .
Are there lifts down at North or staffing issues? I'm confused by the lack of ability to have lift access comment. Thanks

TSQURD

It was spinning for a bit but appears GH is down again, as it was yesterday, PM at least.