• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

witchway

I am approaching 20. Most of the people I ski with are 30 plus. Most of us spend upwards of 5 grand a person per year not to mention the hundreds of converts we have brought before this whole cheap pass thing came around. To say this is becomming disappointing is an understatment.
We have been pass holders since pre- ASC days. Many people have stayed with us and skied, some have bought places and made Sugarbush their home mountain. We watched many kids grow up skiing here. Later, ours bought the 4 20's pass for a couple of years and would also pick up a quad pass for his friends and other guests. They are now opting for smaller areas like Gunstock, Ragged, and Sunnapee. I guess that's good for the smaller areas but unfortunate for our family and others like us. They are finding Sugarbush to be too crowded and too expensive to visit even with my IKON discount.

HowieT2

We have been pass holders since pre- ASC days. Many people have stayed with us and skied, some have bought places and made Sugarbush their home mountain. We watched many kids grow up skiing here. Later, ours bought the 4 20's pass for a couple of years and would also pick up a quad pass for his friends and other guests. They are now opting for smaller areas like Gunstock, Ragged, and Sunnapee. I guess that's good for the smaller areas but unfortunate for our family and others like us. They are finding Sugarbush to be too crowded and too expensive to visit even with my IKON discount.
I havent found crowding to be an issue at sugarbush in the Ikon era. That's not to say there havent been days when its crowded, but that was true pre icon also.
I also wouldnt put gunstock ragged and sunnapee in the same category as sugarbush. My daughter is going to Stowe this weekend and had to get a ticket using the epic discount and its the same thing as Icon, somewhere around $130.

witchway

I havent found crowding to be an issue at sugarbush in the Ikon era. That's not to say there havent been days when its crowded, but that was true pre icon also.
I also wouldnt put gunstock ragged and sunnapee in the same category as sugarbush. My daughter is going to Stowe this weekend and had to get a ticket using the epic discount and its the same thing as Icon, somewhere around $130.
Definitely not in the same category as Sugarbush, just a less expensive option. I do think that Sugarbush has gotten busier especially on Saturdays since becoming a full IKON mountain. Other than Stratton we are the only unlimited IKON option in the east.

Hawk

Howie, so far the IKON era has been two covid years with very sub-par conditions. I have skied pretty much every weekend and some good weeks and have seen the pulse. You would have thought the numbers would have been lower but they have not. Last year the woods were over-run with people like nothing I have seen before. I would wait until the Covid veil is lifted and it snows before I pass judgement. I will bet you a weekend's worth of beer you will change your opinion.

Reactions: Los

hovercraft

Ikon or Epic, both cheap passes = overcrowded mountains. Bring back the good old days when you spent more money for the pass with less people on the mountain. That is where the value was.

Reactions: Los

mikec142

Jay, I don't think that peole are blaming the snow reporter for the weather. It's just this era of super fast tech and information that is to blame. People look at the apps and actually plan and live their day based on what it says and actually depend on it. Seems old school people like you and me that just go out no mater what and just ski are few and far between. It's the world that we live in now.
I think that's fair to some degree. For me personally, I live 300+ miles from SB. Until last year I was using quad packs to keep costs down but was always hesitant to burn a quad pack ticket (or four tickets if the family was joining me) for marginal (or worse) conditions. These days I have an Ikon pass, but its important to me to have good information on the conditions before I commit to driving 600 miles for the weekend. Also, I typically leave before the end of the work day on Friday so that's a consideration as well and clear information helps me make the decision to head up or not.

Hawk

I think that's fair to some degree. For me personally, I live 300+ miles from SB. Until last year I was using quad packs to keep costs down but was always hesitant to burn a quad pack ticket (or four tickets if the family was joining me) for marginal (or worse) conditions. These days I have an Ikon pass, but its important to me to have good information on the conditions before I commit to driving 600 miles for the weekend. Also, I typically leave before the end of the work day on Friday so that's a consideration as well and clear information helps me make the decision to head up or not.
Mike you are right. There are multiple reasons for accurate information on both the app and the website.

Hawk

OK just constructive critisim for today. The report on both the website and app says the summit lift is open but it shows Rim Run, FIS and Black Diamond are closed. I think it would be really hard to get down from the top is one of those 3 trails were not open. No?

Lotso

OK just constructive critisim for today. The report on both the website and app says the summit lift is open but it shows Rim Run, FIS and Black Diamond are closed. I think it would be really hard to get down from the top is one of those 3 trails were not open. No?
Good catch...that would be quite the trick...
Also- Listing the (for now) unskiable woods areas on the 'open' filter is silly and misleading.

HowieT2

Howie, so far the IKON era has been two covid years with very sub-par conditions. I have skied pretty much every weekend and some good weeks and have seen the pulse. You would have thought the numbers would have been lower but they have not. Last year the woods were over-run with people like nothing I have seen before. I would wait until the Covid veil is lifted and it snows before I pass judgement. I will bet you a weekend's worth of beer you will change your opinion.
I'll take your beer but I think we're saying the same thing. We haven't seen it get too crowded to date. Maybe that's because of covid and/or crappy conditions, and that may change in the future, but so far, the crowing hasnt been overwhelming since going full Ikon.

HowieT2

Ikon or Epic, both cheap passes = overcrowded mountains. Bring back the good old days when you spent more money for the pass with less people on the mountain. That is where the value was.
would be nice to know what the actual numbers are.
last weekend there were a ton of cars in the lots and early, not a lot of terrain/lifts open and yet it still didnt seem to me to be "crowded". lift lines were reasonable.

NYSnowflake

Does anyone have any info on the Advanced Adult Lesson Series? I am wondering who will be teaching it and whether I would be a good fit. I have skied diamonds at all the mountains I frequent. Skyward at Whiteface and Claire’s way at Hunter were the gnarliest… but I was with an instructor who coached me along on the toughest spots. I will also ask my people who work at ski and ride… but looking for additional perspectives here. I tend to avoid the double diamonds when it’s icy. I may struggle in ungroomed conditions.

KustyTheKlown

Seems that in times of low snowfall, it is often the snow report and reporters that end up taking the blame. That's just nuts. Anyone with a browser or window should know by now that there has been sparse natural and thaws have wreaked havoc.The trail report is generally informative as relates to grooming .. but with only 30 trails open, not much a reporter can do to sweeten your coffee.

It is what it is .. ski it by 10:30 or forget it.

I actively blame skiology Matt for the shit snow even if that is ridiculous. Fuck that guy with his hyping of the gfs 10+ days out to hordes who don’t even know how to read a weather map

tumbler

I actively blame skiology Matt for the shit snow even if that is ridiculous. Fuck that guy with his hyping of the gfs 10+ days out to hordes who don’t even know how to read a weather map
He's probably getting paid by areas to hype and drive people to ski. All I know of him is from here, I'm not on the Myface.

Hawk

LOL That is great. I was wondering if that topic would boil over into other threads. I have no Idea who he is but reading the back and fouth made me crindge. He can't be trusted. HA might as well blame someone. But I have a feeling the pattern is going to chance and we will be better. Just using the law of averages.

WinS

Thanks John. I actually came here this morning to comment on how todays narrative was much improved!

Weather pattern has some potential - certainly colder with numerous shots of snow coming up. But no clear indication yet of what we really want, which is a dump! But there are hints at something going into MLK weekend, which would be interesting given how last winter really kicked-off with MLK snows.
I agree with your comment about the narrative, and I know John had a hand in that yesterday. John is a great member of the team and very competent. With his focus now I would be confident of seeing improvements both in what he can control and getting improvements to the App and Website with his input. He is serious about emailing him directly, so take him up on that. Today’s report still had some errors that were corrected, so it is still a work in progress. I skied ME today. Snowmaking on Rim Run B and C, Looking Good and upper portion of Elbow. Only Rim Run A and Elbow were open and not groomed, but the snow quality was very good, and it will groom out nicely. The other trails need more snow but the temps were going down as the day progressed. I was wrong in my guess at L.P. They split the snowmaking crew today. Guns and Towers were running on all of Sunrise, and they were lighting up the towers on Murphy‘s. They started on Racer’s Edge but a pipe broke, so they called an audible and moved over to Murphy’s. Land guns are also being set up on Waterfall and Hot Shot.

A lot of the terrain gets firm really fast. The groomers can only do so much so we really need snow. Even a few inches will improve the Trail quality when groomed in.

Last edited:

Lotso

I agree with your comment about the narrative, and I know John had a hand in that yesterday. John is a great member of the team and very competent. With his focus now I would be confident of seeing improvements both in what he can control and getting improvements to the App and Website with his input. He is serious about emailing him directly, so take him up on that. Today’s report still had some errors that were corrected, so it is still a work in progress. I skied ME today. Snowmaking on Rim Run B and C, Looking Good and upper portion of Elbow. Only Rim Run A and Elbow were open and not groomed, but the snow quality was very good, and it will groom out nicely. The other trails need more snow but the temps were going down as the day progressed. I was wrong in my guess at L.P. They split the snowmaking crew today. Guns and Towers were running on all of Sunrise, and they were lighting up the towers on Murphy‘s. They started on Racer’s Edge but a pipe broke, so they called an audible and moved over to Murphy’s. Land guns are also being set up on Waterfall and Hot Shot.

A lot of the terrain gets firm really fast. The groomers can only do so much so we really need snow. Even a few inches will improve the Trail quality when groomed in.
Another broken pipe...brutal. Holdover from ASC cost-cutting or younger vintage? Shame b/c that still means too many people on SB/SF unless Murphy's/Birdland get covered fast.

Hang in there and thank you for the candor!!!

MisterMagoo

WinS, JohnnyB: Has mid-day grooming ever been considered at SB? Seems that closing a trail or 2 for a bit during the day for resurfacing would boost overall customer satisfaction… especially during lean-snow times like we’ve got now.

Just a thought…..

—MM

Lotso

WinS, JohnnyB: Has mid-day grooming ever been considered at SB? Seems that closing a trail or 2 for a bit during the day for resurfacing would boost overall customer satisfaction… especially during lean-snow times like we’ve got now.

Just a thought…..

—MM
+1
Gunstock or Crotched used to do this, I think...The Noon Groom

Once LSnowball and RE are done you could close SF pretty easily. Would be huge PR boost. Same for Elbow or Cruiser. Would have to stage cats so you don't have them cruising through customers to get there, but could be done (until you ask the Risk Manager or the lawyers)

MadPadraic

I am approaching 20. Most of the people I ski with are 30 plus. Most of us spend upwards of 5 grand a person per year not to mention the hundreds of converts we have brought before this whole cheap pass thing came around. To say this is becomming disappointing is an understatment.

My point was just that everyone who commits to SB is in the same boat. I'm quite sympathetic to your position, but I don't see the 10 year thing as a useful threshold.

I'm having trouble convincing friends w/o passes to spend the money on a day ticket. My friends on Epic see a walk-up price at SB as being about 1/3rd of their pass and can't stomach the cost. We have nieces and nephews who are at the age to start snowboarding, but the current mountain alignments prevent it (specific but a real PIA).