• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

WinS

That is r
Yeah its a daily occurrence for me as well. Refreshing doesn't always work. I have to be ready to click on "VIEW MORE" on the Conditions text and then I get it.

Another app glitch... if you try to click INFO at bottom right, then "Snow Report on Website", it takes you to a snow report from this past Monday. I tried to use this workaround to view what's been groomed or where snowmaking is taking place, and then I noticed the report it was linking me to was 5 days old. This could really confuse someone.
That is really strange. I never have these problems. Just got the newest I-phone. The issue I sometimes face when clicking on a web cam is getting another Sugarbush You Tube video. But hitting “X” in upper left and then clicking on gets the correct view. I did pass this along a few weeks ago. Email John B with the specifics of what you are encountering. By the way, the snow first run on Birch was exquisite (no hyperbole). Good quality snowmaking, sat the right amount of time and groomed out beautifully. I think they did a couple of grooms to get it that creamy. I was second one down until I passed him and then enjoyed first runs for,the second half. Not siire how it held up but I did enjoy my two runs before moving on. I think it will groom out really nicely tonight with the Nor’Incher we received today. Bet I will see Hawk at First tracks tomorrow.

NYSnowflake

That is r

That is really strange. I never have these problems. Just got the newest I-phone. The issue I sometimes face when clicking on a web cam is getting another Sugarbush You Tube video. But hitting “X” in upper left and then clicking on gets the correct view. I did pass this along a few weeks ago. Email John B with the specifics of what you are encountering. By the way, the snow first run on Birch was exquisite (no hyperbole). Good quality snowmaking, sat the right amount of time and groomed out beautifully. I think they did a couple of grooms to get it that creamy. I was second one down until I passed him and then enjoyed first runs for,the second half. Not siire how it held up but I did enjoy my two runs before moving on. I think it will groom out really nicely tonight with the Nor’Incher we received today. Bet I will see Hawk at First tracks tomorrow.
Thanks for the update! I can’t wait to ski Birch Run again when I get back up to SB!

cdskier

Lower half of ME was surprisingly firm this morning. I'm thinking windblown after being groomed...

The top half was quite nice though...Rim Run to Elbow was great. Lower Rim Run under the guns was nice too. Good quality snow being made (although considering the temps, you'd hope that's the case). Definitely need some natural snow though...

Zand

Lower half of ME was surprisingly firm this morning. I'm thinking windblown after being groomed...

The top half was quite nice though...Rim Run to Elbow was great. Lower Rim Run under the guns was nice too. Good quality snow being made (although considering the temps, you'd hope that's the case). Definitely need some natural snow though...
How were Black Diamond, Exterminator, and Bravo? Saw they're open ungroomed. Willing to bring some rock skis up.

shadyjay

Website
linktr.ee
Given the fact that trails like HG Traverse, Reverse Traverse, and Northway aren't open yet, and they're usually some of the first natural trails to open... I can't imagine how much snow is on those 3. Black Diamond is a little protected, Exterminator not as much.

But I could be wrong...

foofy

How were Black Diamond, Exterminator, and Bravo? Saw they're open ungroomed. Willing to bring some rock skis up.
Black Diamond was bony and popular - bring rock skis or your A game. I had fun lapping Exterminator...chalky powder mixed with cut up ice crust...rock skis still a good idea. Didn't try Bravo but from afar looked more skied off.

Lower mountain ice a bit terrifying late afternoon.

pinnoke

10:33 AM: We are wrapping up this weekend with possible snow flurries in the morning that may turn into mixed precipitation as the day moves forward. Temperatures today should be in the mid-20s and 30s with the potential for windy conditions at the peak. Sugarbush PARKS crew has upped the number of features on Riemergasse to a total of 73 and added a small park on Slowpoke with 5 features to hit. Groomers were out and about last night to repack the snow and give us fresh corduroy turns this morning. Snowmakers are continuing to help refresh some of our favorite runs as well as prepare new terrain for us to enjoy in the future. With the forecasted weather we should see crisp turns this morning that will likely loosen up as the day continues. Due to heavy winds Heaven's Gate, Super Bravo, GMX, Inverness, Sunshine, North Lynx, Village, and Summit quad are on wind hold temporarily. Currently, Valley House and Gatehouse are open to the public and hiking will be available at Heaven's Gate starting at 9am.

NOT THE REPORT I WOULD ISSUE. Obviously, the wind holds, etc., would be the lead. Any "fresh corduroy turns this morning" might have been only for 'early ups'. Driving was treacherous. The web/app report as well as phone ought to be updated with current and accurate info!

TSQURD

Its been updated:

“1/9/22, 11:29 AM
11:28 AM: Due to heavy winds Heaven's Gate, Super Bravo, GMX, Inverness, Sunshine, North Lynx, Village, and Summit quad are on wind hold temporarily. Currently, Valley House is open to the public and hiking will be available at Heaven's Gate starting at 9am. We are wrapping up this weekend with possible snow flurries in the morning that may turn into mixed precipitation as the day moves forward. Temperatures today should be in the mid-20s and 30s….”

erdb1

Is there any update on North Ridge Express? Yesterday I asked one of the lift operators, he said he didn't know why it's not running. They can't blame the snow anymore. I saw no obvious sign of any work being done on it.

A somewhat frustrated de-Valued pass passholder would love to know...

WinS

Is there any update on North Ridge Express? Yesterday I asked one of the lift operators, he said he didn't know why it's not running. They can't blame the snow anymore. I saw no obvious sign of any work being done on it.

A somewhat frustrated de-Valued pass passholder would love to know...
I posted a few weeks ago about this. Over the summer 5 lifts were hit with lightning with NR the worst. There was a lot of damage to the electrical system. The last I heard was the electrical issues have been resolved including a new PLC. There were a few more mechanical repairs to go. The. The tram authority need to,come to inspect and a load rest will be required. You can see the barrels lined up for that. One other complication with NR is that it is a Poma Lift and Les Otten had Doplemayr more it to the current position so they is a bit of “who is responsible to help,with repairs.” A couple of years ago we replaced the drive in NR, put in a new communication line and rewired all the tower. So the electrical system is now Dopplemayrs, but the mechanical parts are still Poma. I would, or be at all surprised if there are supply chain issues with lift parts too. I will see if I can get a update tomorrow when I am around the mountain.

A couple of years ago a similar strike hit GMX and we had to run on diesel the entire winter. The insurance company finally approved a new drive but that did not happen until spring. As you are all witnessing the weather volatility has increased and creating a lot of challenges for the mountain team.

I actually had three nice runs off of VH and one down Sleeper first before the freezing rain hit just after 9am. Called it quits then.the wind walking in this morning was fierce and interestingly it was calm in East Warren.

cdskier

I woke up this morning, made breakfast, saw all the windholds starting to be announced and went back to sleep. I heard the wind howling all night long so wasn't surprised at the windholds.

cdskier

Its been updated:

“1/9/22, 11:29 AM
11:28 AM: Due to heavy winds Heaven's Gate, Super Bravo, GMX, Inverness, Sunshine, North Lynx, Village, and Summit quad are on wind hold temporarily. Currently, Valley House is open to the public and hiking will be available at Heaven's Gate starting at 9am. We are wrapping up this weekend with possible snow flurries in the morning that may turn into mixed precipitation as the day moves forward. Temperatures today should be in the mid-20s and 30s….”
I still think they were putting a bit too much positive spin on the precip that was falling/predicted. It was mixed precip from at least 6:30AM this morning when I woke up. So by the time of the first update this morning, the whole "possible snow flurries turning to mixed precip" line was already a bit too much wishful thinking.

Boxtop Willie

we had a few flakes around 5:30am (Fayston at 1400'), then no precip on the hill until around 9:30, then freezing rain, then nothing, then sleet around 11, then freezing rain, then nothing. The report wasn't that far off for a very variable day (Accuweather wasn't any better) But we did have wind, then wind, then more wind then big wind. Having only Valley house open was a challenge. Afternoon actually improved a bit. No precip, Gate House opened around 1. By afternoon it was a Blazers playground as it seemed they were the only ones skiing. But the wind! Micro Blazers program never went back outside...the kids kept being blown over. on a moderatley positive note, some seriously good snowmaking weather coming in...stupid cold. Is there something like a tip jar for the snowmakers? the next 7 hours are going to be brutal.

MadPadraic

Yesterday the APP (unlike the webpage) was showing lifts open even though they were on wind hold. As far as the webpage goes, I wish they could sort out the loading problems when going directly to the conditions page.