• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

HowieT2

Howie, I would bet they will do everything possible to make that happen. Hopefully, it will. Tomorrow will be a tough day to do any line work.
Fwiw-I’d imagine lift mechanics and state inspectors are dealing with their share of covid related absences.

pinnoke

A good day, today. Not too cold (or windy) and very good surfaces, at least on groomed terrain, I didn't ski any 'natural' trails, though ropes continue to be dropped (Lower Morningstar and Lower Paradise amongst them). Impressive amount of snowmaking lighting up Waterfall (plus wherever it's blowing). Recent snowmaking completion on Sunrise and Murphy's should be more inviting once groomed, soon, I'm sure. Birch was very nice today, too, as a couple of grooms have had a positive impact. I almost didn't ski today; I'm happy I did! Nice work, Mountain Ops!

thetrailboss

Staff member
Where did you get that from? No one has said anything about that. This is exactly how bad rumors spread. We went from waiting on a couple mechanical fixes/parts to someone turning that into down most of the season...to the next person somehow saying down all season.

This is another reason I think it is important for Sugarbush to share updates directly and be completely transparent. To avoid rumors like this...
I asked if it was down for the season. I did not state that it was.

And I am interested to hear how and when NRX gets resolved. We've had issues with Alterra out here. Most recent lift issue was the mechanical failure at Deer Valley on Christmas Eve in which Alterra's first reaction was to blame it on a manufacturing defect in the part so as to deny any responsibility. Those with the technical knowledge tell me that the issue could have been due to a mistake by DVR installing the component (a misalignment).

I just hope NRX gets fixed. Sugarbush deserves better attention.

Last edited:

MadPadraic

I posted a few weeks ago about this. Over the summer 5 lifts were hit with lightning with NR the worst.

Win, first off I love that you still advocate for the SB with such good intentions. I'm curious how often lifts get hit by lightning? I assume 5 is high, but I'm surprised (shocked) it happened at all? Does it happen most summers?

cdskier

I asked if it was down for the season. I did not state that it was.

And I am interested to hear how and when NRX gets resolved. We've had issues with Alterra out here. Most recent lift issue was the mechanical failure at Deer Valley on Christmas Eve in which Alterra's first reaction was to blame it on a manufacturing defect in the part so as to deny any responsibility. Those with the technical knowledge tell me that the issue could have been due to a mistake by DVR installing the component (a misalignment).

I just hope NRX gets fixed. Sugarbush deserves better attention.

There was no logical reason to even ask that question based on any of the statements made so far in this thread about the lift repairs/status...

On a different note, I'm seeing no active snowmaking listed on the report anywhere at Lincoln Peak currently. Another GMP curtailment perhaps?

Lotso

There was no logical reason to even ask that question based on any of the statements made so far in this thread about the lift repairs/status...

On a different note, I'm seeing no active snowmaking listed on the report anywhere at Lincoln Peak currently. Another GMP curtailment perhaps?
Has to be. Nearing zero now, will be well below by daybreak.

Smellytele

Erdb1 did say something about it being down for most of the season

cdskier

Erdb1 did say something about it being down for most of the season
Of course that was another comment made with no basis for making it...as Erdb1 admitted in a follow-up post when Howie questioned him about where he heard that. Still a big jump from "most" to "all" even if that post had any basis (which it didn't).

It is one thing to spread a rumor when you at least have some inside or reliable info. It is another thing entirely though to just jump to conclusions with each person jumping to worse and worse conclusions.

The only facts we have are what Win shared...Those facts are that it was hit by lightning in the summer, the electrical issues have been resolved, a few mechanical repairs are pending, and then a load test/inspection needs to be completed (for which barrels are already staged at the loading area of the lift). There would be no need to even talk about a load test if someone at SB didn't think it was going to be fixed and run this year. Granted it is always possible when they fix one thing they find something else that needs repairs, but until we reach that point, it is pointless to speculate about that. The discussion on the NRX issues is a perfect example of how false rumors start...

thetrailboss

Staff member
Of course that was another comment made with no basis for making it...as Erdb1 admitted in a follow-up post when Howie questioned him about where he heard that. Still a big jump from "most" to "all" even if that post had any basis (which it didn't).

It is one thing to spread a rumor when you at least have some inside or reliable info. It is another thing entirely though to just jump to conclusions with each person jumping to worse and worse conclusions.

The only facts we have are what Win shared...Those facts are that it was hit by lightning in the summer, the electrical issues have been resolved, a few mechanical repairs are pending, and then a load test/inspection needs to be completed (for which barrels are already staged at the loading area of the lift). There would be no need to even talk about a load test if someone at SB didn't think it was going to be fixed and run this year. Granted it is always possible when they fix one thing they find something else that needs repairs, but until we reach that point, it is pointless to speculate about that. The discussion on the NRX issues is a perfect example of how false rumors start...
Lighten up Francis. Folks did not say it was closed for the season. The question was what is the deal. That’s all. And historically this board does get legit info from those in the know. There’s no harm in folks asking and discussing this topic. It’s not like NRX has historically been a perfectly reliable lift in its 27-year run.

cdskier

Lighten up Francis. Folks did not say it was closed for the season. The question was what is the deal. That’s all. And historically this board does get legit info from those in the know. There’s no harm in folks asking and discussing this topic. It’s not like NRX has historically been a perfectly reliable lift in its 27-year run.
You might want to re-read the way you phrased your original question. You could have said "So how long is it going to be down?" or "So is there any ETA for the repair being completed?" or "Does anyone have any additional details?", or dozens of other ways to ask "what is the deal". Instead you said:
So NRX is down for this season?

That's a very different question...

erdb1

That he did.
I came here asking for an update on NRX. Why would I do that if I knew what's happening with the lift? Sorry if anyone misunderstood my post, I jumped in and clarified immediately that I had no idea how long it's going to be out. And that's the thing - how can SB not say anything about NRX? I understand that weather, Covid, supply chain issues can throw a curveball, but they should have been honest about their problems, especially if they knew about it since the Summer.

cdskier

I came here asking for an update on NRX. Why would I do that if I knew what's happening with the lift? Sorry if anyone misunderstood my post, I jumped in and clarified immediately that I had no idea how long it's going to be out. And that's the thing - how can SB not say anything about NRX? I understand that weather, Covid, supply chain issues can throw a curveball, but they should have been honest about their problems, especially if they knew about it since the Summer.

I don't think they're necessarily not being honest...they're just not communicating at all about this topic officially. We definitely need more transparency, openness and communication on things like this. (Like we had under the previous ownership via things like the Win's Word blog posts on the SB site in addition to the posts here on AZ). I'm glad Win still manages to get us some good info and am keeping my fingers crossed that @Johnny B can start to do the same from time to time now that he's registered here on this forum.

thetrailboss

Staff member
No worries. You're good. Not your fault.

hovercraft

I don't think they're necessarily not being honest...they're just not communicating at all about this topic officially. We definitely need more transparency, openness and communication on things like this. (Like we had under the previous ownership via things like the Win's Word blog posts on the SB site in addition to the posts here on AZ). I'm glad Win still manages to get us some good info and am keeping my fingers crossed that @Johnny B can start to do the same from time to time now that he's registered here on this forum.
So basically you are saying they aren’t being honest in a nice way 🤣

jaybird

Yikes.
More proof that thunder follows lightning.. 🤓
A detailed explanation from management doesn’t resolve the operational issue(s).
Given multiple challenges, i believe the resort is trying hard to provide the best experience they can.

Sooner or later snow will fall 🍻

✌️

cdskier

So basically you are saying they aren’t being honest in a nice way 🤣
Hah! To me not being honest generally means lying. Saying nothing at all is not necessarily lying. Although I also suppose intent comes into play as well. Are they not saying anything because they were hoping it was going to be fixed before anyone noticed? Or are they not saying anything because they just don't realize they should say something?

WinS

Win, first off I love that you still advocate for the SB with such good intentions. I'm curious how often lifts get hit by lightning? I assume 5 is high, but I'm surprised (shocked) it happened at all? Does it happen most summers?
Big metal towers on top of a mountain. From memory it is not unusual and to get hit but five with the intensity of what has happened the past few years is more than the past. They do have lightening protection but it is not perfect - obviously.

WinS

Will the skinny pancake be returning? Is there room for them at the new Ellen base lodge?
Skinny pancake is no longer here. There were in the Farmhouse Lodge (next to ticket windows) at Lincoln Peak but Nomad took their space last year and are back this year. There isn’t space in the ME lodge for them to operate there unless Sugarbush gave them cafeteria or Green Mountain space.