• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

WinS

SBX requires snow cover for evacuation purposes. It should soon be running when temps permit.
Additionally, the lift mechanics have to be able to get to all 40 towers safely and quickly on their snow mobiles.

WinS

I did the early shift at Mt Ellen today and was on the Summit chair at 9 AM. Lots of fun on Looking Good with untracked powder, Elbow windblown at the the top but fresh and deep the rest of the way. The Inverness chair wasn't running so my guess is that I was one of 5 people that had skied Brambles by 10:30 AM. ROTD was definitely Bravo with knee+ deep powder.
Shot across Northway first thing and had first tracks on Inverness, That is a rare pleasure when there are a few inches of fresh powder over a groomed surface and GMVS is not training. Only one person ahead of me on Northway, and he turned into Walt’s which looked really nice too.

shadyjay

Website
linktr.ee
Shot across Northway first thing and had first tracks on Inverness, That is a rare pleasure when there are a few inches of fresh powder over a groomed surface and GMVS is not training. Only one person ahead of me on Northway, and he turned into Walt’s which looked really nice too.

I used to love heading over there on a day like that and point right towards either Semi-Tough or Brambles. Getting the speed to get through Northway was the challenge, so I'd try to bomb down from Lower Elbow and hope to make it across Exterm, or just suck it up and hit Exterm. The struggle was always worth it!

If only this was my week off...

TSQURD

The Gore Tex gloves that i tried and would not dry were the Hestra Army Gore Tex. Maybe i ended up with a defective pair.

I do love the regular Army Leather version though - pulled the liner out last night and they were dry this morning.

flakeydog

of course you could buy 2 or 3 pr of Kincos and keep them dry. I will say after sampling all of the best handwear, Kinco performs the best. This is at any price, and I get cold hands. I have been wearing mittens since high school because of this, just sayin'....

Hawk

ATV's would not be a good option unless it was dry and there was no snow. The terain is very hilly obviously so they would be slower and would rip up the traverses that the skiers use to enter and exit slidebrook.

Hawk

of course you could buy 2 or 3 pr of Kincos and keep them dry. I will say after sampling all of the best handwear, Kinco performs the best. This is at any price, and I get cold hands. I have been wearing mittens since high school because of this, just sayin'....
I disagree. I used Kincos for a few years and they are not nearly as good as my current Hestra's. My hands got wet and cold with them. Just my opinion.

HowieT2

I disagree. I used Kincos for a few years and they are not nearly as good as my current Hestra's. My hands got wet and cold with them. Just my opinion.
The insulated kinkos?
i have hestras and kinkos, and the hestras stay in my bag.

Hawk

Yesh. I like it better when I can ride the chairlift up.

I'm sure it was pretty good though. We are at Sugarbush this weekend and so glad to see so much more open than when we were there over the holidays.

Did I miss something earlier in this thread; I'm wondering why no Slidebrook Express this year and has that already been discussed?
Crank, my comment had nothing to do with the lift by the way. I was just looking back at old pitures and vids from a bunch of years back when we were skiing early season pow at Castlerock, long before the lift was open. It used to be that only locals and long time regulars skied castlerock before it was open and the ski patrol just looked the other way. We have skied waste deep pow over there in the past with no one around. That is why I laughted at the "good as it gets". Johny is new so we will cut him some slack.

Slidebrook will probably open soon now that they have snow on the ground. The other thing they usually need is enough snow to get skiers out of slidebrook in the event of an evacuation. Not sure if we are there yet.

crank

First, I did not know that about Slidebrook chair so thanks for the info. Now I know.

2nd, I used to ski Sugarbush a bunch back in the '70s. Had some wonderful days skiing powder at Castlerock but have never been a "regular" and have never hiked there. I am one of the Ikon masses who is enjoying getting back into skiing the area regularly.

3rd, I've been using Kincos for a few years and just went out and bought a super warm pair of Hestra primaloft mitten liners with Goretex outer mitts. Never spent half that much on mittens r gloves. This weekend will be the acid test. the Kincos, while rugged and a great value, have never been great at keeping my hands warm when it's cold. My 3- pairs of Kincos cost less together than just the 1 pair of Hestra liners!

Hawk

NP on the Slidebrook info
Great to have you back as a new Regular. I converted 20 years ago and I don't look back
Everybody's hands are different based on how good your circulation is, that type of skier you are and how much your hands sweat. I am thinking I might try the Kincos again if Everybody is saying they are good. It's been a few years so maybe they are better.

tumbler

You have to waterproof the Kincos or they are worthless. I use the gloves and when it get super cold I switch to the mittens.