• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

HowieT2

Ha funny. Arcteryx is great. I ripped my shell when I fell my ass onto a rock on the downhill part of the castlerock hike. they fixed it for like 40 bucks.

I’ve seen that they and some others are buying used gear and reselling it. Prices for the used stuff didn’t seem too enticing to my eyes.

Lotso

Curious why Sugar Run has had guns going for what seems like a week. Nice to see snow made, but I can think of other trails that get more traffic that could use the love (FIS, Cruiser, RR)?

cdskier

Curious why Sugar Run has had guns going for what seems like a week. Nice to see snow made, but I can think of other trails that get more traffic that could use the love (FIS, Cruiser, RR)?
Doesn't Sugar Run usually get terrain park features on it? That takes a bit extra snow so could explain it (although lower elevation temps have also not been ideal non-stop for the past few days, so perhaps there were also times the report had the icon next to the trail but snow wasn't actually being made at the time). I see Which Way and Brambles now listed with the snow-making icon at ME on the report, so I'm thinking they're just about wrapped up on Sugar Run.

Kingslug20

As someone that make stuff for consumers,... how about just accept the fact that eventually products do wear out after normal use? I know they do have a very generous return policy, but come on, they already replaced the jacket for you. At some point, a business model of replacing a product that has been used for years - does not work. There are no jackets (or any clothing for that matter) that are meant to last for ever. Be reasonable.
I have stuff that is ...lets say very old...and still works..these jackets cost over $1000.00
But they come with a lifetime warranty..i am reasonable...
I have many jackets many times older than this...that work perfectly....
Its not a big deal...now its a 1 pocket...

ducky

A patroller once described to me "a bunch of MAMIA's" heading into Slide Brook. Middle Aged Men in Arcteryx.

On a more serious note and speaking to whether the woods are "ready" or not, ..this from the Ski Ride VT FB page, incident at Stowe on Tuesday from an experienced skier:

A word of caution: the woods might look great after yesterday’s storm, but be careful…. very careful. Even though we are close to the magic 40” mark, there is no base.
Yesterday was an amazing powder day. Well, it was great until it wasn’t. After hearing people rave about how well Angel Food was skiing, we traversed out to the bench. After five or six beautiful yet cautious powder turns, I hit something below the snow. Next thing I know, I was ten feet below my right ski and my right leg was bending in ways it never should. Luckily, I was not skiing alone and Stowe ski patrol went above and beyond. They were amazing. They got me safely down in less than ideal conditions and loaded into an ambulance and off to Copley. Diagnosis: 2 fractures in the right tibia along with a right fibula fracture. I believe they call it a “boot top fracture”. 36 hours in the hospital, a 2 hour surgery, a boat load of pain, a titanium rod, six screws, and a ton of pain meds later, I’m home and expected to make a full recovery. It’s going to be a long road though, and it’s safe to say my ski season is over.
Learn from my mistake. Just because the trees look good doesn’t mean they are safe. Do your research. 40 inches of power isn’t the same as 40 inches of hard-packed. I know there were plenty of others out in the notch yesterday too who didn’t have an issue, but just one unlucky turn ruined my season. I’m grateful that ski patrol got me down, the orthos put me back together, and that I’m going to eventually make a full recovery, but in retrospect, I wish I would have waited for another foot or two of snow before venturing into the notch.

Kingslug20

Avalanche in a chute in the notch..cartied 2 about 700 feet...its sporty back there

Hawk

I have stuff that is ...lets say very old...and still works..these jackets cost over $1000.00
I have many jackets many times older than this...that work perfectly....
Its not a big deal...now its a 1 pocket...
I just go to my local taylor shop in my home town. They have 3 russian ladies that can fix anything. I know it voids the warranty but I get it fixed in a week and it is as good as new.

AJ's on the access road in Stowe in the spring is the place to go for bargins on Arcteryx, Marmut and Patagonia. I am sure you have been in there.

cdskier

Actually they do not come with a "lifetime" warranty. Arc'teryx apparel has a "Practical Product Lifespan" warranty.

What does Practical Product Lifespan mean?

Practical Product Lifespan means the usual and customary wearable life of the product. The Practical Product Lifespan does not mean for your lifetime or mean a time period that is indefinite. The manner in which the product is used directly impacts the usual and customary wearable life of the product, as materials will deteriorate and fade over time and moving parts will also wear.

Arc’teryx Products are designed for long life and durability, if care instructions are followed carefully. If your Product appears worn out, then it may be time to replace your product and we hope that Arc’teryx will be a part of your next buying decision. Practical Product Lifespan will be determined in the reasonable discretion of an authorized Arc’teryx Customer Service representative who shall take into account at least the following factors: the type and nature of the Product, the nature of the use of the Product, nature of the Product issue involved, and age of the Product. The Arc’teryx Customer Service representative may require consumer information in order to make the foregoing determination and may not be able to make a determination without such accurate information from the consumer.

HowieT2

A patroller once described to me "a bunch of MAMIA's" heading into Slide Brook. Middle Aged Men in Arcteryx.

On a more serious note and speaking to whether the woods are "ready" or not, ..this from the Ski Ride VT FB page, incident at Stowe on Tuesday from an experienced skier:

A word of caution: the woods might look great after yesterday’s storm, but be careful…. very careful. Even though we are close to the magic 40” mark, there is no base.
Yesterday was an amazing powder day. Well, it was great until it wasn’t. After hearing people rave about how well Angel Food was skiing, we traversed out to the bench. After five or six beautiful yet cautious powder turns, I hit something below the snow. Next thing I know, I was ten feet below my right ski and my right leg was bending in ways it never should. Luckily, I was not skiing alone and Stowe ski patrol went above and beyond. They were amazing. They got me safely down in less than ideal conditions and loaded into an ambulance and off to Copley. Diagnosis: 2 fractures in the right tibia along with a right fibula fracture. I believe they call it a “boot top fracture”. 36 hours in the hospital, a 2 hour surgery, a boat load of pain, a titanium rod, six screws, and a ton of pain meds later, I’m home and expected to make a full recovery. It’s going to be a long road though, and it’s safe to say my ski season is over.
Learn from my mistake. Just because the trees look good doesn’t mean they are safe. Do your research. 40 inches of power isn’t the same as 40 inches of hard-packed. I know there were plenty of others out in the notch yesterday too who didn’t have an issue, but just one unlucky turn ruined my season. I’m grateful that ski patrol got me down, the orthos put me back together, and that I’m going to eventually make a full recovery, but in retrospect, I wish I would have waited for another foot or two of snow before venturing into the notch.
Hey, if the shoe fits.....

KustyTheKlown

in today's installment of first world problems... i wanted to ski sugarbush this sat and magic sun and normally i'd drug myself to sleep at 8 PM on Friday night to get a solid 7 hours of sleep and then drive. however, free luxury box tickets for trevor noah at msg fell into my girlfriends lap for Friday night and i feel bad telling her no i wont go on a nice date with you because i am going to sleep on drugs at 8 PM. so we are going to the comedy show, and I'll get home by 12, and I'll sleep til 4, and I'll go to stratton instead of sugarbush and still be in sunbowl lot by 830.

ducky

Hiked over today. Definite thaw-freeze all over from yesterday. Groomers were cementy and CR was slabby, either from the thaw or from wind. Not to say it wasn't fun (CR), just no longer powder. More snow is needed and tomorrow will be much colder.

ducky

Also, Emily E, formerly of the Wonderbar and Hogan's, opened her own place yesterday in Waitsfield opposite Canteen Creemee in the old Stoke Ramen location.

mikec142

Hiked over today. Definite thaw-freeze all over from yesterday. Groomers were cementy and CR was slabby, either from the thaw or from wind. Not to say it wasn't fun (CR), just no longer powder. More snow is needed and tomorrow will be much colder.
Man...that really blows. I was wondering about the temps yesterday. We had such a glorious run last season from mid-January thru February.

KustyTheKlown

thanks for that report. makes me feel better about being a good boyfriend Friday and not pushing for northern Vermont saturday

Johnny B

Hey everyone. You'll likely see it on social and the snow report, but I wanted to update you all here about uphill travel. Here's our uphill policy for reference: https://www.sugarbush.com/mountain/terrain-and-maps/uphill-travel#uphill-travel.

Attention uphill travelers: effective immediately we will be suspending uphill travel at both Lincoln Peak and Mt. Ellen outside of operating hours. Mt. Ellen's daytime uphill route will remain open but all early morning and evening routes at both mountains will be closed. Unfortunately, we have experienced several incidents this season with guests not abiding by our uphill travel guidelines, in particular our designated downhill routes. We have worked hard to support uphill enthusiasts and continue to find ways to expand and improve our policy, but when guests don't adhere to our policy it puts both them and our mountain operations teams at risk. We ask that you help spread the word on our uphill policy and proper etiquette and we are hopeful we can open it back up in the near future.