• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

cdskier

That's crazy that the policy this year was more lenient than ever with regards to downhill routes...and yet people still couldn't follow it?

cdskier

I'm guessing this incident may be the straw that broke the camel's back so to speak...

We have had a number of repeat incidents in just the last week culminating with two skiers skiing past our flashing winch signage onto Cliffs and hitting the winch cable, ejecting out of their skis, and then fleeing the scene before our winch operator could get up to check on them.

To be blunt...people are fucking stupid!

KustyTheKlown

lol did they leave their skis at the scene? dumb dumbs. could have killed themselves. winch cables are no joke.

tumbler

That is scary. They should be up a video of a winch cable going under tension, that would cut someone in half!

teleo

Fing morons ruining it for everyone. Lucky the didn't get killed.

On the plus side, the new uphill route is nice. I guess last mondays pre opening skin was the last for a while

El Bishop

Hey everyone. You'll likely see it on social and the snow report, but I wanted to update you all here about uphill travel. Here's our uphill policy for reference: https://www.sugarbush.com/mountain/terrain-and-maps/uphill-travel#uphill-travel.

Attention uphill travelers: effective immediately we will be suspending uphill travel at both Lincoln Peak and Mt. Ellen outside of operating hours. Mt. Ellen's daytime uphill route will remain open but all early morning and evening routes at both mountains will be closed. Unfortunately, we have experienced several incidents this season with guests not abiding by our uphill travel guidelines, in particular our designated downhill routes. We have worked hard to support uphill enthusiasts and continue to find ways to expand and improve our policy, but when guests don't adhere to our policy it puts both them and our mountain operations teams at risk. We ask that you help spread the word on our uphill policy and proper etiquette and we are hopeful we can open it back up in the near future.
Johnny, I get it. You guys have to do something. But this sucks! For so many of us that follow the rules, laps in the AM and a quick after-work skin trip is exercise, therapy, etc. Perhaps check Strava to see if those guys recorded their trip and deal with them directly. I hope there's another way to handle this.

Hawk

I understand that these people suck. I get it. But you get a few Morons so you shut it down? How about enforsement and penalties first or a warning before you shut it down. Looks to me that you guys were looking for a reason to shut it down and they handed it to you.

Your rules will not stop the responsible people that know where to go and what to ski. They have been skinning at the mountain for years. Long before there were such policies.

Hawk

Also, Emily E, formerly of the Wonderbar and Hogan's, opened her own place yesterday in Waitsfield opposite Canteen Creemee in the old Stoke Ramen location.
That is good news. She has a huge following and I am sure she will do fine. Is she going to have music?

cdskier

Castlerock opens today. I will be out for some of that after morning work. CD are you headed out? Maybe I will see you over there.
I've actually been back to my "In NJ midweek, drive up Friday after work, drive home Sunday" routine so far this year. I'm still not going into the office and working remotely, but I have some other reasons for going back and forth so far...

Big Wave Dave

I understand that these people suck. I get it. But you get a few Morons so you shut it down? How about enforsement and penalties first or a warning before you shut it down. Looks to me that you guys were looking for a reason to shut it down and they handed it to you.

Your rules will not stop the responsible people that know where to go and what to ski. They have been skinning at the mountain for years. Long before there were such policies.
Aaaand this is the attitude causing the issues. “Your rules”. Plenty of mountains in Vermont for you to go be a hard ass at that aren’t subject to liability concerns. Make your own ski hill if the rules are so hard for you. Isn’t that really what skins are for?

Hawk

What, the attiture of the people that have never broken the rules and are now being limited by idiots?
The locals and the regulars here at sugarbush have been skinning and skiing without issues for years. it was a don't ask don't tell policy that worked. Enter the new gernation of skinners and the conservative rule makers. Now it's all f-ed up. I skin and ski on and mostly off the mountain for the past 20 years. Sometimes at night. I have never been approached by a groomer, sled or any mountain peronell. Why is that? Because I have common sence and a good sence of what would be safe and acceptable. That will remain as my cannon. I say send out patrol to bust and prosicute the idiots and then it will leave the respocble people like the original crew and the newer responcibe people. I might add that some of the people that skin and ski are ex and current employees and patrol. So throw stone if you like. There is more to this then you understand.

Big Wave Dave

What, the attiture of the people that have never broken the rules and are now being limited by idiots?
The locals and the regulars here at sugarbush have been skinning and skiing without issues for years. it was a don't ask don't tell policy that worked. Enter the new gernation of skinners and the conservative rule makers. Now it's all f-ed up. I skin and ski on and mostly off the mountain for the past 20 years. Sometimes at night. I have never been approached by a groomer, sled or any mountain peronell. Why is that? Because I have common sence and a good sence of what would be safe and acceptable. That will remain as my cannon. I say send out patrol to bust and prosicute the idiots and then it will leave the respocble people like the original crew and the newer responcibe people. I might add that some of the people that skin and ski are ex and current employees and patrol. So throw stone if you like. There is more to this then you understand.
Your missing the point. It’s not up to you to determine the rules that apply to you when using the facilities of a private organization. Whether I, or you, disagree, is irrelevant. I wish it was different and we had more of a European attitude towards personal risk. But we don’t.

I watched two skinners argue with patrol last year when they were skinning a closed trail and the attitude they had infuriated me. Absolute entitlement with no reasonable basis to back it up beyond their opinion. This was at another mountain that had a recent winch cat incident and the patrollers we’re doing their jobs.

I have seen that enough in the skin crowd to know it is more than a few bad apples. The basis of skinning is freedom to move where you want- it’s inherently antithetical to order in some ways.

Johnny B

We are hopeful this tosses some awareness on the issues we're having and we can all work to educate each other and hold each other accountable. Walt's After Dark on Saturday will still happen at this point and we will allow skinning. We hope to turn the policy back on soon, assuming we don't continue to see abuse over the next few days. The daytime Mt. Ellen route is also still open.

cdskier

On another topic...I haven't seen any mention of snow-making at LP in I think over a week now. Any information on what's going on there or what the plan is to finish up the trails that still haven't been started or finished?

thetrailboss

Staff member
I watched two skinners argue with patrol last year when they were skinning a closed trail and the attitude they had infuriated me. Absolute entitlement with no reasonable basis to back it up beyond their opinion. This was at another mountain that had a recent winch cat incident and the patrollers we’re doing their jobs.

I have seen that enough in the skin crowd to know it is more than a few bad apples. The basis of skinning is freedom to move where you want- it’s inherently antithetical to order in some ways.
I was going to ask if the sense of entitlement was an issue. Sounds like it is. I remember several years ago an incident at SB where, despite MULTIPLE warnings, a few uphillers felt it was OK to go up LP right in the middle of snowmaking operations that were underway and they did not know what the problem was.

And was said mountain Burke by chance? I know that they had issues with skiers and winch cats recently.

Last edited: