• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

Hawk

I get what you are saying, but how does SB enforce the policy when, in the referenced incident, the culprits who skied into the winch cable simply ran off and are unknown?
They are skiing down mount Ellen or Lincoln peak. All the trails end up at the bottom and these people have head lighs on and skis. I would think it would be easy enough for the cat driver to get on the radio and say "Hey two guys, snow boarder and skier, red jacked and blue jacket just skied down XYZ trail" Please intercept. security or ski patrol gets on a ski mobile and intercepts. That way the people who were idiots get the punishment and not the people that followed the rules. That is all I am saying.

I never said I was going to break any rules I am just pissed that we now can not do something that we always did because of stupid people. I also think it is comical that the people that do not skin on a regualr basis are so concern about the new rules.

Castlerock was good today. I did 5 runs over there. Tomorrow it will be totally beat up down to the rocks and dirt so I am happy I got it when I did.
What I find kind of funny, if you are just going to break the rules, why do you need to get on a public forum and announce to the world (including Sugarbush management) that you plan on breaking the rules? I am not judging about anyone‘s decisions regarding after wjphours skining, but why go and basically say F U to SB?
I Never said I was going to break the rules by the way and I never said FU to SB. I think they sould just enforce rules they created and not pelalize good people. What I did say is that I know people that will continue to do things under the radar. That probably will not be me but maybe it will. I not sure yet.

flakeydog

Discretion is always good, for so many things in life. Problem is that the typical entitled douchebag hipster-dufus that inevitably ruins it for everyone else is not, and probably does not want to be. Whee, look at me! I am skiing uphill on $2,000 of super trendy gear. Maybe if I post this on Insta I can get kinda-sponsored.

Anyway, there is a lot of legit backcountry out there that's open 24/7 with no pesky limits. Once you park in a lot or set foot on a cut trail you are utilizing the services of that resort so you get to play by their rules. The groomers and snowmakers have way better things to do than chase down people and I seriously doubt there is "security" or ski patrol hanging around all night that could do the same. Again, this is where discretion goes a long way.

thetrailboss

Staff member
They are skiing down mount Ellen or Lincoln peak. All the trails end up at the bottom and these people have head lighs on and skis. I would think it would be easy enough for the cat driver to get on the radio and say "Hey two guys, snow boarder and skier, red jacked and blue jacket just skied down XYZ trail" Please intercept. security or ski patrol gets on a ski mobile and intercepts. That way the people who were idiots get the punishment and not the people that followed the rules. That is all I am saying.

I never said I was going to break any rules I am just pissed that we now can not do something that we always did because of stupid people. I also think it is comical that the people that do not skin on a regualr basis are so concern about the new rules.

Castlerock was good today. I did 5 runs over there. Tomorrow it will be totally beat up down to the rocks and dirt so I am happy I got it when I did.

I Never said I was going to break the rules by the way and I never said FU to SB. I think they sould just enforce rules they created and not pelalize good people. What I did say is that I know people that will continue to do things under the radar. That probably will not be me but maybe it will. I not sure yet.
I get you, but at night time it is literally the snow cat operators on the mountain and that is it. During early season of course there’s snow making cruise on the mountain. Ski patrol has enough to deal with during operating hours.

WinS

Here is one thing that has not been discussed. The impact on our groomers. Sugarbush is very fortunate to have some excellent pros driving these machines. The last thing they want is to injure or kill someone. They work hard to deliver a good product for all of us. Not all skiers wear a night light especially when where they are not supposed to be. a groomer’s focus is on the plow and the surface in front and not skiers who are not supposed to be on the trail. When an incident like the recent one occurs they are really shaken and question if they want to stay employed. A couple of years ago when we had a similar incident a few threatened to quit unless we could keep skiers on the approved trails.

Zand

Noticed the report is showing 100% open with Castlerock debuting today. First in New England to 100%?

Zand

As for glades...this is in MRG's report if that's any indication:

"Ski Patrol is strongly advising that skiers hold off on woods skiing until we see more snowfall. The snow in the trees has settled and changed, and while you may have found some soft turns just after the storm, at this point we’re still a few inches away from comfortably suggesting the glades. Coverage is thin and hazards lie just below the surface of the snow. Stick to on-piste terrain today and you’re likely to have a better, safer time, but if you cannot overcome the overwhelming urge to venture into the trees, at least ski with a buddy so they can help you when you double-eject after hooking on a half-buried log…"

Hawk

Depends on your tolerance of dirt, rocks and sticks. Above Allyns and the Glen house there was about a 2 to 4 inch frozen base before we got 12" tp 14" of snow. If you ski in the remaining untracked ares it is not too bad except for the hidden treasures. Where people have skied is more safe but all kinds of things showing and the cover is very thin.

Below this area the icey base goes from 2 inches to non-existent depending on the sun angle. Also the snow cover varies from about 12 inches and shrinks based on wind and sun effect. Crusty areas exist and the base is very suspect. Tried a few areas and almost killed myself. If you are adverse to the risk, I would stay high and attempt lower angle skiing.

mikec142

I mentioned it upthread...on my last run on Tuesday, I was peeking into the top of Deeper Sleeper from Hot Shot. Even though I suspected it wasn't ideal, I couldn't resist as it looked good from afar. I took my time...2-3 turns linked at a time...and carefully picked my way down. While fun, it's clearly not ready and still dangerous. There are still a lot of exposed roots, rocks, stumps, etc. And even more concerning were the obstacles that were mostly covered by a half inch of snow, but I could still see. When I got to the midpoint at Sleeper Road, I decided not to continue and to just pop over to Sleeper for the rest of the run. IMHO, the glades need another good storm to be safe.

As an aside, clearly this was my observation on a lower elevation glade. I can't speak to stuff higher up, but whatever the conditions, I can't imagine they've improved since Tuesday.

Bummed I'm not there this weekend, but plan to be there next weekend.

jaybird

We applaud enforcement of the Rules 👍

Skinning in backcountry/non lift serviced terrain has never caused us any problem.
(Other than disturbing wildlife and having to defend ourselves from attack .. 😉)

The primary reason we skin is to ascend wilderness areas and descend lines that are untracked and totally 'pure'. Having seen many of those skinning up groomed trails during the day and watching some of their descents, not surprised that these 'newby/rona' skinners would be so outside of their skill zone that disagreements and problems would develop. Simply donning AT gear assures no level of competence. Add a helmet cam to the mix .. resulting outcome can lead to disaster.

Mastery in a backcountry setting is hard-earned. 👍There is plenty of beautiful territory all around the State of Vermont. Gear up. Plan your work .. work your plan.

Keep Thinking Snow! It may be paying off.

Cheers !

Newpylong

There is a sense of entitlement with some uphill traveller's. Show up, skin up private property, ski down on hard earned (and expensive) man made snow, get in your Subaru and drive home without spending a buck.

Skinning up in the middle of snowmaking and grooming operations. Skiing over our snowmaking hoses, getting in the way of our snowmobiles sending staff off the trail. I saw enough to certainly form a stereotype in my head.

I say require a pro-rated pass or ticket (based on no lift service) or turn them away as simple as that.