• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

thetrailboss

Staff member
I was at Mt Ellen today and North Ridge was down for half the day. Crowds were light so it was easy to hop on the summit quad but still this really limits options for skiing as each run must be 2400 foot vert, and there's really no reason to go up to the summit most of the time.

Good day but I'll say they need more snow. I hit a lot of rocks today and there were a lot of obstacles in the woods. If what they have now turned into base and another good refresh or two before April-- we'll be good. It's not the depth that's the issue it's just they have no base under the most recent snow.

So I was thinking about going to Sugarbush this past week, but the NRX issues and cold made me go elsewhere. I'll be honest.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

machski

The issue is that Win hired Doppelmayr to do major work this past summer on NRX and they had a ton of problems. As you said, it is a Poma and should be maintained by Poma folks. I think we all expected them to use Poma or SkyTrac for the new lift and not Doppelmayr. The truth is though that Doppelamyr does MANY more lifts than Poma and SkyTrac combined. You may not see that in New England, but go out west and look (except for parts of Colorado).

Dopp is way out in the lead this season for new lift installs all across the country. Must be committed to win these bids (ie $$ wins)

deadheadskier

Staff member
I'm not sure why they couldn't work with both companies though. Bring in Poma to fix their lift, hire Dopp to do the new one. There's something to be said in business about not marrying into just one vendor.

benski

They brought skytrak for to refurbish heavens gate. Win said on skimrv they were taking bids from all three manufacturers.

HowieT2

I haven't heard anything about the new vhq being carpet loaded. Could be but I doubt it.

as for the nrx, it's been 'nothing but problems since dopplemeyr worked on it in the offseason.

thetrailboss

Staff member
I haven't heard anything about the new vhq being carpet loaded. Could be but I doubt it.

as for the nrx, it's been 'nothing but problems since dopplemeyr worked on it in the offseason.

Bummer 😞

mrvpilgrim

Heard rumblings over the weekend as part of the Valley house project they will be realigning reverse traverse(or should I say reverse uphill traverse) which runs from the top of Steins over to Murphys Glade. The new alignment would slope it down hill to line up across Murphys, Birdland and Jester to provide a straight shot at Heavens Gate Traverse. This wouldl greatly improve access to the Heavens Gate chair when Bravo is down. anyone else catch wind of this?

rocks860

Heard rumblings over the weekend as part of the Valley house project they will be realigning reverse traverse(or should I say reverse uphill traverse) which runs from the top of Steins over to Murphys Glade. The new alignment would slope it down hill to line up across Murphys, Birdland and Jester to provide a straight shot at Heavens Gate Traverse. This wouldl greatly improve access to the Heavens Gate chair when Bravo is down. anyone else catch wind of this?

In all the years I've been skiing there (probably like 30 at this point) I don't think I have ever used that trail

mikec142

Anyone heard a closing date for SB? Thinking of a day or two in northern VT during spring break which runs from 4/3-4/11. Ideally we would go up on 4/5.

CoolMike

I'll be there this Saturday. Does anybody know how the mountain is skiing?

If you go up on Saturday do yourself a favor and find a way to also ski on Sunday. The GFS and CMC (Operational runs) both show a nice snowstorm for Sugarbush on Saturday night into and through most of Sunday.

On an unrelated note - the reverse traverse trail takes you past Stein's woods and Egan's Woods - the entrance of which looks pretty tightly treed. Anyone know if it opens up once inside the woods? The pitch is reasonably steep - especially at Stein's Woods. I haven't skied it yet myself - hence the question.

HowieT2

If you go up on Saturday do yourself a favor and find a way to also ski on Sunday. The GFS and CMC (Operational runs) both show a nice snowstorm for Sugarbush on Saturday night into and through most of Sunday.

On an unrelated note - the reverse traverse trail takes you past Stein's woods and Egan's Woods - the entrance of which looks pretty tightly treed. Anyone know if it opens up once inside the woods? The pitch is reasonably steep - especially at Stein's Woods. I haven't skied it yet myself - hence the question.

they open up.

steamboat1

Anyone heard a closing date for SB? Thinking of a day or two in northern VT during spring break which runs from 4/3-4/11. Ideally we would go up on 4/5.
From what I heard they will be closing all trails off the Valley House chair begining April 6 so they can start dismantling the old lift & start blasting for the new lift. All skiing will be on the Super Bravo side, Heavens Gate. Gatehouse & Castle Rock if they still have enough snow there.

thetrailboss

Staff member
From what I heard they will be closing all trails off the Valley House chair begining April 6 so they can start dismantling the old lift & start blasting for the new lift. All skiing will be on the Super Bravo side, Heavens Gate. Gatehouse & Castle Rock if they still have enough snow there.

That's going to screw up spring skiing operations.....

Actually, this is in Win's Word:

I think we are in for a long and wonderful spring of skiing and riding. Because the Valley House lift will be replaced, we are changing our spring skiing and riding routes. Extra snow has been made on Ripcord, Downspout, Gondolier, and Coffee Run, and we plan to run Super Bravo and Heaven’s Gate through April and hopefully the first weekend of May.

So that sounds like a good option.

rocks860

I would love to get back up there this year if possible but it looks like the earliest I could make it would be the end of this month