• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

Lotso

He is talking about the pitch on lower snowball on that last corner just above spring road and the start of Racers Edge. There are montain bike berms and all kinds of rocks showing. I skied it. He is right.
Ah, yes, that clarifies things. Didn't say he was wrong, just trying to figure out where he was talking about. Hopefully it gets covered up well and soon

djd66

He is talking about the pitch on lower snowball on that last corner just above spring road and the start of Racers Edge. There are montain bike berms and all kinds of rocks showing. I skied it. He is right.
Yep, that‘s exactly where I am talking about Hawk.

machski

Nope. I am sticking around. Acutally my sister from Sunday River is coming here also. IF I were you I would dust off your skins because I bet sunday all the lifts will be closed at SR.
They are, finally have Hybrid Boots to go with (yes, until now had been skinning in full alpine boots). Probably try out the setup today. Not sure we are staying the weekend, suppose to be in a snowshoe race back in Canterbury, NH Saturday. Game time decision, waiting to see how this thing tracks and if the race folks call it off Friday we stay.

jaybird

We skied it yesterday .. no problemo.
Less turns .. more Air ! 😉

KustyTheKlown

got an airbnb in waitsfield locked down for fri-sun. im very wary of driving out of NYC area late Friday>Saturday so i want to be posted up at a mountain ASAP. got a work think 3-330 Friday but I'll head out asap after that. I'll prob ski sugarbush sat and wake early Sunday and drive down to magic if the driving is safe. looks like this bomb storm is coastal, so I'm not too afraid of driving in noVT. even if the big storm doesn't hit vt, looks like sb is skiing pretty dang good this week.

mikec142

got an airbnb in waitsfield locked down for fri-sun. im very wary of driving out of NYC area late Friday>Saturday so i want to be posted up at a mountain ASAP. got a work think 3-330 Friday but I'll head out asap after that. I'll prob ski sugarbush sat and wake early Sunday and drive down to magic if the driving is safe. looks like this bomb storm is coastal, so I'm not too afraid of driving in noVT. even if the big storm doesn't hit vt, looks like sb is skiing pretty dang good this week.
According to Weather Underground, it's not looking like a significant event for SB...just over an inch. Lookinf more like 6-7" by me in NJ.

KustyTheKlown

According to Weather Underground, it's not looking like a significant event for SB...just over an inch. Lookinf more like 6-7" by me in NJ.

yea i know, its the driving out of the NYC area that I'm mostly concerned about so i just want to hit the road Friday before it starts.

its looking increasingly like i can scrap the airbnb tho and stay in a cheap hotel in montpelier Friday night and still arrive safely at sugarbush Saturday morning, and then also safely drive to manchester for another cheap motel to ski sunday at magic.

wind hold concerns for me at sugarbush, but not at magic. i guess if sugarbush is howling i can audible to MRG for $

mulva

How is this Sugarbush skiing compared to Killington? Planning on Sugarbush Friday and Monday but my place is in Killington. Is Castlerock ok, Paradise area? Thanks!

Los

yea i know, its the driving out of the NYC area that I'm mostly concerned about so i just want to hit the road Friday before it starts.

its looking increasingly like i can scrap the airbnb tho and stay in a cheap hotel in montpelier Friday night and still arrive safely at sugarbush Saturday morning, and then also safely drive to manchester for another cheap motel to ski sunday at magic.

wind hold concerns for me at sugarbush, but not at magic. i guess if sugarbush is howling i can audible to MRG for $
Please keep us updated about your plans for the weekend! Always so fascinating to hear.

Hawk

How is this Sugarbush skiing compared to Killington? Planning on Sugarbush Friday and Monday but my place is in Killington. Is Castlerock ok, Paradise area? Thanks!
IF you don't mind thin cover it is fine. I have no idea what Killington is like. I just know there is a lack of significant snow everywhere,

machski

I bet the loaf and saddleback do not do bad either.
Models I'm seeing continue the trend East. One map I saw from a reputable source had dropped SR/SB/SL to just 1-4". As this storm is still forecast to come intensify and tighten up it's circulation, it is also forecast to have a very narrow precipitation shield. As such, they expect and abrupt cutoff on the western side of the storm. Time will tell, but trends are poor for everything except Blue Hills and Yawago right now