• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

cdskier

New blog post talking about snowmaking, the slide-brook chair, and uphill travel.

The cliff-notes for people that don't want to read:
  • It took 10 days to refill the LP pond enough to run the guns for 18 hours the past couple days. They're hopeful they can make more snow to touch up and build spring depths at some point...but it is a wait and see scenario (I really hope they can build spring depths as I don't think we have nearly enough snow on Steins in particular at this point)
  • Slide Brook still does not have enough depth to run on the evac routes...BUT there's also a good chance the lift may not run at all due to staffing issues. (I'd agree with SB's stance that other lifts should take staffing priority over Slide Brook...so while disappointing, still the better decision over sacrificing some other lift)
  • Uphill behavior has vastly improved since the restart. Hopefully the trend continues and people are now more aware of the rules.

Hawk

New blog post talking about snowmaking, the slide-brook chair, and uphill travel.

• It took 10 days to refill the LP pond enough to run the guns for 18 hours the past couple days. They're hopeful they can make more snow to touch up and build spring depths at some point...but it is a wait and see scenario (I really hope they can build spring depths as I don't think we have nearly enough snow on Steins in particular at this point)
  • Slide Brook still does not have enough depth to run on the evac routes...BUT there's also a good chance the lift may not run at all due to staffing issues. (I'd agree with SB's stance that other lifts should take staffing priority over Slide Brook...so while disappointing, still the better decision over sacrificing some other lift)
  • Uphill behavior has vastly improved since the restart. Hopefully the trend continues and people are now more aware of the rules.
I can understand the slidebrook chair. I picked my way down slide brook. Huge mistake and it is not skiable for anyone itermediate or below. Especially the bottom 1/3. Evac would be a nightmare. You should see the bottoms of my skis.
If you look at the 10 day there are 2 events that will most likely add enough water to the river. If it R*%#s I will not listen to any BS that there is not enough water to blow snow. Steilns is in OK condition to last a wihile. Snowball between Lixies and Moonshine is really thin. It won't last into March at the rate we are going let alone April. I would expect them to blow those trails as well as downspout and upper jester to keep the season going longer. Those trails are usually the deteriming factors to extending the season.

Johnny B

Couldn't have spark noted any better myself! Thanks for posting here, you beat me to it. The only other thing to add is that we've added Northstar and Which Way as downhill routes over at Mt. Ellen. More options and hopefully less confusion on what you can/can't ski.

tumbler

I hope it tracks more West. Who knows since it hasn’t even formed yet.

Last edited:

Powder Whore

I have not followed this forum for a while so excuse me if someone has already touched on this. Does anyone else have a problem with the "uphill travel route" at ME? Parts of the route that they have designated have been one of my regular downhill lines for some time. sometimes I ski it for fun and sometimes I use it as a "way back" to the resort from other places.

KustyTheKlown

new gfs run is getting on board with the westward shift but still has vt in the fringe. but every prior gfs run had vt almost all white. so this is progress...

1643394086531.png

djd66

Something (mechanical)was up with Bravo today. They did finally get it running late in the day. Hopefully there are no issues this weekend. Mtn skied great with it down,… no people on the upper Mtn.

SkiTheEast

Something (mechanical)was up with Bravo today. They did finally get it running late in the day. Hopefully there are no issues this weekend. Mtn skied great with it down,… no people on the upper Mtn.
Yeah Bravo has been down the past 2 days - yesterday was a wind hold and today started as a wind hold but apparently turned into a mech. Was told a sheave wheel needed to be swapped out on one of the towers so hopefully issue resolved for this weekend.