• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

Hawk

Yeah Bravo has been down the past 2 days - yesterday was a wind hold and today started as a wind hold but apparently turned into a mech. Was told a sheave wheel needed to be swapped out on one of the towers so hopefully issue resolved for this weekend.
The sheave was fixed around 2:30. It was on tower 12 I think. I skied lower bird land a couple of time and they were working on it for a few hours. It is working this morning and we should be all set. That kind of thing happens occasionally. 2 degrees this morning. Brrrr again.

cdskier

The sheave was fixed around 2:30. It was on tower 12 I think. I skied lower bird land a couple of time and they were working on it for a few hours. It is working this morning and we should be all set. That kind of thing happens occasionally. 2 degrees this morning. Brrrr again.
How was LP today? I spent the day at ME. It was pretty empty over there. Lifts were sheltered from the wind for the most part, but boy was it whipping at the summit (only took 1 run up there mainly to see what the wind was like). Walt's was a nice warm-up run this morning since GMX was delayed. Exterminator was pretty nice despite the thin cover. Did that a few times. Overall a good day, but some fresh snow sure would be nice!

Was snow-making being contemplated this year on the Bravo headwall? I noticed a lone gun right at the top of headwall with hoses connected and stretched out up to the cutover from Elbow. No idea how long that has been there as this was my first time at ME in a couple weeks and first time I would have had a view of Bravo since NRX wasn't running last time I was there and I didn't ski Bravo that time either.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Was snow-making being contemplated this year on the Bravo headwall? I noticed a lone gun right at the top of headwall with hoses connected and stretched out up to the cutover from Elbow. No idea how long that has been there as this was my first time at ME in a couple weeks and first time I would have had a view of Bravo since NRX wasn't running last time I was there and I didn't ski Bravo that time either.
That's what they used to do.....

cdskier

That's what they used to do.....
Yea...but it has been ages since they've done that so I was pretty surprised to see that gun and hose over there. No sign that it was actually used though as the headwall looked like its normal rocky bare self!

NYSnowflake

I skied Steins for the first time today. Took it slow, traversed a lot, and turned on top of the bumps, but I didn’t fall! The snow was soft on the bumps and there was some ice in the troughs.

NYSnowflake

How was the wind today? Trying to decide if I should go tomorrow. Worried about the wind.
There was a windchill advisory in my weather app for Saturday that disappeared this AM… but now my app says there’s another windchill advisory for Sunday, but it ends at 10am. Today definitely felt cold but not windy. Murphys was the most wind blown of any trail I skied. That said, I had Hottronnics running in my boots, plus boot gloves on, plus toe warmers in the boot glove and I had to quit at 2:50 PM because my feet were frozen. it was cold today!

cdskier

How was the wind today? Trying to decide if I should go tomorrow. Worried about the wind.
Not sure at LP...but at ME the lifts were pretty sheltered with the direction the wind was coming from. Only felt the wind on the lifts 2 places at ME...very top of NRX and maybe the top couple towers on Summit. Wind was whipping hard at the summit. On trail...you felt the wind all along Rim Run (decent size drifts and rollers on skier's right as well). The wind was also pretty strong blowing up Elbow. Didn't feel the wind on Exterminator or Looking Good though and felt no wind on any trails below mid-mountain.

Direction will shift though I believe...so what we experienced today could be completely different tomorrow.

KustyTheKlown

I skied LP today. Early this morning I thought heavens gate would go on hold but it never did. 100% open but some sketchy stuff out there. lots of people on castlerock who did not belong there. fuckin cold out there today. I’m gonna wake up super early and go to magic tomorrow morning I think. Shortens my final drive home and they picked up about 3-4”

jaybird

It appears Josh Fox scared Kenan away :( .. but all is not lost :cool:
Dress warm and look for heavy drifting on Sunday 🤠

Newpylong

Yea...but it has been ages since they've done that so I was pretty surprised to see that gun and hose over there. No sign that it was actually used though as the headwall looked like its normal rocky bare self!

I remember them doing that in the ASC days didn't know they still did. There's a "jumper" line over from Elbow.

Hawk

I'm not getting my hopes up but we need snow desparately. Did a few castlerock runs this weekend. Those will be my last unless it snows or I swap down to my beater skis. The bottom runout just above the lift bottom was a rock strewn mess. Actually everywhere was a rock strewn mess. Super cold, no snowmaking, no woods. Jezze it's February for god sake. Lets get some snow please. Pray for snow!

KustyTheKlown

I'm not getting my hopes up but we need snow desparately. Did a few castlerock runs this weekend. Those will be my last unless it snows or I swap down to my beater skis. The bottom runout just above the lift bottom was a rock strewn mess. Actually everywhere was a rock strewn mess. Super cold, no snowmaking, no woods. Jezze it's February for god sake. Lets get some snow please. Pray for snow!

yea i used the wrong skis on saturday. oh well. all skis are rock skis if you ski in new england and like anything other than boring groomers.

KustyTheKlown

def not meant to be temperatures. whatever model is feeding opensnow's API is just calling friday big and cold enough but that's not even close to verifiable yet. the gfs shows it tho.

1643647955959.png