• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

HowieT2

From what I heard they will be closing all trails off the Valley House chair begining April 6 so they can start dismantling the old lift & start blasting for the new lift. All skiing will be on the Super Bravo side, Heavens Gate. Gatehouse & Castle Rock if they still have enough snow there.

I had heard April 1st, but whatever. the blasting is actually to widen the traverse which will be above the terminus of the new lift.

rocks860

So will that work eliminate snowball/spring fling/twist etc? That is really going to concentrate people on several trails

Root16

Finding freshies in South Beach with my bro

Video took place on the morning of March 7, 2015

Last edited:

CoolMike

From what I heard they will be closing all trails off the Valley House chair begining April 6 so they can start dismantling the old lift & start blasting for the new lift. All skiing will be on the Super Bravo side, Heavens Gate. Gatehouse & Castle Rock if they still have enough snow there.

COMPLETELY UNACCEPTABLE!

I will be making sure to have a chat with Win about it this weekend. Seriously, fuck this shit - Spring skiing on Stein's was going to be sweet this year.

vonski

i kept waiting for you to hit a tree head on.

what part of the mountain is this?

That first part is the entrance to The Wild Slidebrook area and is Slidebrook. You can see Melon in the distance a couple of times. At least what it looks like to me.

Root16

i kept waiting for you to hit a tree head on.

what part of the mountain is this?

The area we were skiing was called South Beach. I just followed my brother; I have a terrible sense of direction and orientation, so I never really got a good sense of where we were. We got dumped out near the bottom of a trail that runs under the detachable quad that takes us up to the slidebrook quad and also the triple that takes us to the "entrance to the Wild Slidebrook area".

vonski

The area we were skiing was called South Beach. I just followed my brother; I have a terrible sense of direction and orientation, so I never really got a good sense of where we were. We got dumped out near the bottom of a trail that runs under the detachable quad that takes us up to the slidebrook quad and also the triple that takes us to the "entrance to the Wild Slidebrook area".
So did you enter from the Wild Slidebrook area and take a right turn to come back into the South area. If you did I have skied that many times. tons of fun in that area.

Root16

So did you enter from the Wild Slidebrook area and take a right turn to come back into the South area. If you did I have skied that many times. tons of fun in that area.

Hmm... that sounds about right. I guess it'd be hard to tell if you recognized any of it as I'm sure it looks different every season. I know that we crossed under the Slidebrook chair at one point.

Last edited:

thetrailboss

Staff member
COMPLETELY UNACCEPTABLE!

I will be making sure to have a chat with Win about it this weekend. Seriously, fuck this shit - Spring skiing on Stein's was going to be sweet this year.

While Stein's holds snow well, the spring offering on Spring Fling, etc. really sucks IMHO. Spring Fling in particular is quite large and does not hold snow well. It also is really low.

Bring back North!

keyser soze

So what are the thoughts on weather this weekend? Looks like precip, but not sure if snow or mix and how much?

rocks860

I think I'm gonna head up there for the day on the 28th to get one last sugarbush fix. Went the saturday after Christmas, January 10-17 and now. Nice book end (ish) to the season

WWF-VT

So what are the thoughts on weather this weekend? Looks like precip, but not sure if snow or mix and how much?

Awesome day today skiing at Lincoln Peak - the sun came out late morning and soft snow was fun. Twist and Moonshine had hero bumps and were today's favorites. It's going to get cold again and lock it all up before the weekend. WCAX weather did not give much info on the anticipated weather event on Saturday into Sunday. My guess is that it should be moderate snowfall at elevation.

thetrailboss

Staff member
This. Even if I possessed a million dollar property at South, I'd want North to be the Spring Skiing spot.

I just am still surprised that they spent a bunch of money in 2002 to replace GMX and do other work at North to return it as the early and late season facility, and then abandoned that less than five years later. Surely they did not earn their ROI. I understand the reasoning about moving--housing, restaurants, etc.--but North is the better skiing product early and late season.

HowieT2

I just am still surprised that they spent a bunch of money in 2002 to replace GMX and do other work at North to return it as the early and late season facility, and then abandoned that less than five years later. Surely they did not earn their ROI. I understand the reasoning about moving--housing, restaurants, etc.--but North is the better skiing product early and late season.

Everything is at south and at that time of the season they aren't exactly seeing crowds. They do run the cabin cat up there after the lifts close.

as for the weather, mid March so wouldn't be surprised to see snow at elevation only. Close call.

CoolMike

For this weekend for SB I agree its a close one. GFS has a nice snow storm while Canadian models all show rain. Even in the Canadian scenario I think there would be 2-4" of sloppy snow for Sunday.

I would hedge towards this being a nice snowstorm for the mountain though - elevation helps tremendously in these marginal set-ups.

I'm wondering how the skiing will be on Saturday after the re-freeze. Right now my plan is to stick to the groomers and take it easy on Saturday and hope for some fresh snow to go nuts with on Sunday.