• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

cdskier

Heard Slidebrook will not run this season?

This was mentioned a little over 10 pages ago in this thread due to staffing issues :)

New blog post talking about snowmaking, the slide-brook chair, and uphill travel.

The cliff-notes for people that don't want to read:
  • It took 10 days to refill the LP pond enough to run the guns for 18 hours the past couple days. They're hopeful they can make more snow to touch up and build spring depths at some point...but it is a wait and see scenario (I really hope they can build spring depths as I don't think we have nearly enough snow on Steins in particular at this point)
  • Slide Brook still does not have enough depth to run on the evac routes...BUT there's also a good chance the lift may not run at all due to staffing issues. (I'd agree with SB's stance that other lifts should take staffing priority over Slide Brook...so while disappointing, still the better decision over sacrificing some other lift)
  • Uphill behavior has vastly improved since the restart. Hopefully the trend continues and people are now more aware of the rules.

On a related topic...it is amazing how many people don't read the blog posts that Sugarbush posts. I spoke to numerous people on the lifts this weekend that had no idea the reason building spring depths on Steins and Snowball/Spring Fling was delayed was due to running out of water (and one of those people even works for SB and said "wow...usually I hear these things through the grape-vine earlier"). 🤷‍♂️

pinion

Not the best news I’m sure, but it could be worse.

If SB were a Vail property they just wouldn’t say anything. That or the EpicMix app would claim it’s open with a mid-station loading in the basin.

cdskier

Not the best news I’m sure, but it could be worse.

If SB were a Vail property they just wouldn’t say anything. That or the EpicMix app would claim it’s open with a mid-station loading in the basin.
And at least even without this lift you can still access all terrain. Not having this lift doesn't even have an impact on uphill capacity in reality. Definitely not ideal, but also not necessarily a huge issue.

KustyTheKlown

And at least even without this lift you can still access all terrain. Not having this lift doesn't even have an impact on uphill capacity in reality. Definitely not ideal, but also not necessarily a huge issue.

its actually kinda better for the people who consciously ski mount ellen to avoid crowds.

but slidebrook87 is PISSED :D

Kingslug20

I went to paradise provisions for a sandwich..deli closed..all out sick with covid.
I don't question this anymore..

Hawk

The slidebrook chair does not really affect me personally. The only time I really take it is when I have visitors that ask to go on it. I either take the bus or drive there and start my day. Basically it is a no go for my wife. Especially on colder days. 3 high speed quads in a row(GH, SB and NR) and she is frozen and done.

I know for a fact that the numbers are down with the Lift ops personel and they have a large number of inexperienced new people. Also with the thin numbers, if someone gets sick, there is no one to replace them and they have to pull from other areas. if any lift is sacrificed that is the one I want.

Hawk

Heard the same thing -- was sitting next to someone in Mountain Ops after work at the Reks yesterday who told us that. Also that Saturday was SB's second busiest day (i can't remember, it was either second-busiest or second-busiest non-holiday day). I said "well, at least we know that's the worst it's going to get", and the response was something like "wait until all the Epic people defect next year". 🥶
I have not been in Rek's this year. Kind of forgot about it. How is Deano doing with this venture? Food good? any music?

cdskier

I have not been in Rek's this year. Kind of forgot about it. How is Deano doing with this venture? Food good? any music?
Dino's music is not my kind of music (and I'm going to suspect not yours either lol). He's doing his "Rock the Bush" show in early March at the Reks featuring a number of hip hop artists.

I've been into Mutha Stuffers a few times already this year for a sandwich, but haven't eaten at Reks yet. I did have a burger from the Reks last season. It is ok for something close to the village if you don't feel like going any further. I don't know if he changed it much, but his menu was fairly limited last time I saw it at the Reks.

Hawk

LOL Ya I know Dino's taste. Too his credit, he has had some of the bigger names in NYC Hip Hop up at the bush in past years. Tickets were big money if I remember correctly. I was wonderng if he has had any apre music or local bands. I will have to stop in.

HowieT2

LOL Ya I know Dino's taste. Too his credit, he has had some of the bigger names in NYC Hip Hop up at the bush in past years. Tickets were big money if I remember correctly. I was wonderng if he has had any apre music or local bands. I will have to stop in.
back east from snowy BC. got really lucky out there but time to head back up to the bush.
personally, slidebrook lift does 'nothing for me. would be nice for the tourists.

tumbler

I'm glad they have the staff to run all the lifts except SB. An easy one to sacrifice. That and Tommy's Toy ;)

Saturday was definitely way up there for the size of the crowds I have seen over the past 25+ years. I feel that there will be some epic switchovers to Ikon and I hope Alterra is planning for that with improvements beyond snowmaking. I bring it up every year but a real mid mountain lodge at top of GH would really help take the load off GH lodge and since VH is now all Wunderbar with no cafeteria. New lodge would be great venue for weddings too. Some aging HSQ's, I would make GH a six pack and add a lift up to the GH flats from the intersection of CR Runout and Header so you can get up there without standing in GH line. I know not happening next year but fun to discuss.

Smellytele

Lifts and snowmaking. Don’t care about lodges. Just need rest rooms. Besides using a restroom I have not been in a lodge in over 2 years. Not even a mountain bar.

Edit:
I lied I have been into Pats peak lodge on race nights 3 times this year.

Slidebrook87

Last weekend really showed the issues with not having it going on such a busy weekend. The bus stops at both sides were packed. There was only one bus running the route and was at least 10 minutes late by the time it arrived. There was a long line of traffic going into the Ellen base so the ride took about 25 minutes since we were at a standstill for awhile. On the way back the bus was late again and packed as it was. When stopping at German Flats the bus seats were already full with people from Ellen and the driver was able to let some people on, but it was standing room only. Most couldn't get on the bus. Because of the stop and some more traffic, the bus was late again. Point being, the lift is far more convenient (13 minute ride without taking skis off), but if it truly can't run this year, then there should at least be a better bus system. One bus on busy weekends simply isn't enough. I heard that a bunch of people were waiting only for the bus to pull in and have the driver go on lunch break. When you ski Lincoln you pay nearly $170 depending on the day which counts towards both mountains. It should be more convenient to ski both in one day, lift or not. I could be wrong, but wasn't Slide Brook one of the lifts struck by lightning this summer that has yet to be repaired?

Hawk

The bus was fine. Your being dramatic to suit your story. I rode it also and had no issues on Saturday. None. You must have been on the bus first thing which is always Busy, FYI - The slidebrook used to open at 10am. At that time on Saturday the bus was not crowded at all so your point is basically mute. That lift is not going to open so people need to adapt and I am fine with that.

cdskier

Last weekend really showed the issues with not having it going on such a busy weekend. The bus stops at both sides were packed. There was only one bus running the route and was at least 10 minutes late by the time it arrived. There was a long line of traffic going into the Ellen base so the ride took about 25 minutes since we were at a standstill for awhile. On the way back the bus was late again and packed as it was. When stopping at German Flats the bus seats were already full with people from Ellen and the driver was able to let some people on, but it was standing room only. Most couldn't get on the bus. Because of the stop and some more traffic, the bus was late again. Point being, the lift is far more convenient (13 minute ride without taking skis off) but if it truly can't run this year, then there should at least be a better bus system. One bus on busy weekends simply isn't enough. I heard that a bunch of people were waiting only for the bus to pull in and have the driver go on lunch break. When you ski Lincoln you pay nearly $170 depending on the day which counts towards both mountains. It should be more convenient to ski both in one day, lift or not. I could be wrong, but wasn't Slide Brook one of the lifts struck by lightning this summer that has yet to be repaired?

13 minute lift ride ONCE you get to the lift. If you're skiing HG or off Super Bravo or CR, you need to then take the GH lift to get to the Slide Brook chair. So add in another 10-15 minutes for the GH lift ride plus waiting in line at GH on a busy day. In the end, it often really isn't as much of a difference as you think it is at least going from LP to ME. Going from ME to LP is a bit faster since the SB lift on that side is more centrally located no matter where you're skiing at ME for the most part. You're still blowing this a bit out of proportion though. It really isn't a big deal to not have the lift this year.

Also, how do you propose they offer a "better bus system"? I somehow doubt that GMT has a surplus of staff on their end.

Finally, anyone that pays $170 for a day ticket at SB is nuts.

Smellytele

The bus was fine. Your being dramatic to suit your story. I rode it also and had no issues on Saturday. None. You must have been on the bus first thing which is always Busy, FYI - The slidebrook used to open at 10am. At that time on Saturday the bus was not crowded at all so your point is basically mute. That lift is not going to open so people need to adapt and I am fine with that.
On Sunday I drove from Ellen to Lincoln around 12:30 and there was no real traffic. Find a spot to park and life was good

mikec142

Slidebrook not running this year is disappointing, but certainly far from life changing. Over the years, I've spent most of my time at LP. I'd like to even that out a bit so any way I can make it more convenient would be great. All things being equal, I'd prefer to ride SB. But again, I'll survive (seeing how I have little choice)

HowieT2

It could be also that with the impending end to snowmaking operations and the precipitous decline in covid cases in vt, that the staffing shortages will ease somewhat in the next few weeks such that they can run the lift