• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

cdskier

The simple fact that Slide Brook doesn't run until 10am normally is a factor for me in not using it too much in general. If I want to ski ME, I usually want to be there first thing in the morning. So I just drive directly there so I can start skiing it around 8 or so.

To me the Slide Brook chair is a "nice to have", but nothing more than that. In an average year, I can probably count on 1 hand the number of times I take that chair mid-day to switch between mountains.

WinS

personally,… I kind of question the staffing issue. Are there not enough lift opps?
This issue is not lift ops. It is the number of lift mechanics. The past several years this has been the most challenging position to fill. (Even pre-COVID0. Just about every ski area has been advertising for mechanics. Experienced people with mechanical and electrical skills are in short supply. Last summer Sugarbush lost a few long-term mechanics to places like Darn Tough Socks and IBM -40 hour week, no climbing towers to chip ice, good pay, no weekends or overtime. So Sugarbush is down 5-6 mechanics to service 16 lifts plus two owned by GMVS. To check Slidebrook‘s 40 towers each morning takes someone nearly two hours. When you are down 5-6 it is very challenging to get Slidebrook going. I am also not sure but some of the summer line work may not have been completed because of the shortages and lightning strike. I know Sugarbush has continued to hire as the season has progressed, but it is not easy. Personally, I ride SB on a nice warm day, but have no problem taking the bus most of the time for a ten minute ride. Did not use it last year before being vaccinated but have no problem this year.

Last edited:

djd66

This issue is not lift ops. It is the number of lift mechanics. The past several years this has been the most challenging position to fill. (Even pre-COVID0. Just about every ski area has been advertising for mechanics. Experienced people with mechanical and electrical skills are in short supply. Last summer Sugarbush lost a few long-term mechanics to places like Darn Tough Socks and IBM -40 hour week, no climbing towers to chip ice, good pay, no weekends or overtime. So Sugarbush is down 5-6 mechanics to service 16 lifts plus two owned by GMVS. To check Slidebrook‘s 40 towers each morning takes someone nearly two hours. When you are down 5-6 it is very challenging to get Slidebrook going. I am also not sure but some of the summer line work may not have been completed because of the shortages and lightning strike. I know Sugarbush has continued to hire as the season has progressed, but it is not easy. Personally, I ride SB on a nice warm day, but have no problem taking the bus most of the time for a ten minute ride. Did not use it last year before being vaccinated but have no problem this year.
Thanks for the response Win,... this makes sense and its understandable the SB made the decision to not open the lift. Hopefully things will change going into next season and we will be closer to "normal"

BTW, the crew of lift ops you have this year from South America are AWESOME. They are all super friendly and hard working - great group of kids!

teleo

I like having SB as an option. Definitely get to ME more with it running. Either as a ski SB - bus to ME - SB chair back to LP or a GH a bit after 9 before it gets crowded, ski NL till 10 and take SB chair to get out of a crowded LP.

Heck preCovid I used to take it just to get a grilled cheese at walts on a warm, midweek day.

The bus can be a pain.

Guess I won't get to ME much this year☹

Slidebrook87

The reality is that ever since Glen Ellen became Sugarbush North, there were ambitions to connect the sides of the resort. In the summer of 1995 there were a total of six lift projects, 4 of them being new installs. Significant oversights were made in terms of evac access and permitting that makes it impossible to develop in the basin. From a skier's perspective you can get to all of the resort's terrain without ever taking your skis off and from a resort-wide perspective it helps disperse crowds across both sides. However, from a maintenance perspective it's a complete pain in the ass to do any line work in the basin (eg. sheave bearing replacements like Summit the other day). Assuming there's enough staff to run it, it's a real perk to be able to access all of the resort's terrain, especially with what a day ticket costs now.

Kingslug20

20 bucks an hour..
You can be a greeter in Walmart for 17.
But the real perspective is their is a shortage of mechanics,electricians,etc. They can get a much better job with benefits and work inside ,for more money.
Why would they want to be a lift mechanic?
Why would anyone want to be a snow maker?
Things have to change.

djd66

20 bucks an hour..
You can be a greeter in Walmart for 17.
But the real perspective is their is a shortage of mechanics,electricians,etc. They can get a much better job with benefits and work inside ,for more money.
Why would they want to be a lift mechanic?
Why would anyone want to be a snow maker?
Things have to change.
I agree, if that is the going rate - they need to pay more. Hell, my 15 yo son makes 14.50 and hr as a part time grocery bagger.

tumbler

The reality is that ever since Glen Ellen became Sugarbush North, there were ambitions to connect the sides of the resort. In the summer of 1995 there were a total of six lift projects, 4 of them being new installs. Significant oversights were made in terms of evac access and permitting that makes it impossible to develop in the basin. From a skier's perspective you can get to all of the resort's terrain without ever taking your skis off and from a resort-wide perspective it helps disperse crowds across both sides. However, from a maintenance perspective it's a complete pain in the ass to do any line work in the basin (eg. sheave bearing replacements like Summit the other day). Assuming there's enough staff to run it, it's a real perk to be able to access all of the resort's terrain, especially with what a day ticket costs now.
Dude, I'm sorry but you don't know what you are talking about. It was never going to be developed because of the bear habitat, the lift is the only thing that was going in there. Plus something of that scale does not get installed without significant approvals and permitting.

I wish the plans that were drawn up for that area were done, it was awesome and would have made SB bigger than K. Awesome for terrain but not awesome for how it would have changed the Valley imo.

Hawk

Dude, I'm sorry but you don't know what you are talking about. It was never going to be developed because of the bear habitat, the lift is the only thing that was going in there. Plus something of that scale does not get installed without significant approvals and permitting.

I wish the plans that were drawn up for that area were done, it was awesome and would have made SB bigger than K. Awesome for terrain but not awesome for how it would have changed the Valley imo.
Also people forget that Les had to give up rights to develope other areas around the resort as a barganing chip to get that lift installed. I think that sucks more. I am sorry, I don't ride that lift, never have and never will. I ski slidebrook, get on the bus for 5 minutes and I am at North. Same going South at the end of the day. No fuss no muss.

ericfromMA/NH/VT

I'm heading up tomorrow to ski mount Ellen, anyone been lately? Wondering what conditions are like generally. haven't been there since 2019, cant wait. thanks!

djd66

I agree that taking slidebrook from South is a serious Schelp. After 3 chairs, it’s about 35-40 minutes before I’m skiing,… by that time on a cold day - I’m chilled. It would have been great if there were Gondola cars on the line,… yeah I know - will never happen. What I do like about Slidebrook is coming back to South. It’s a quick ride and I can get to 4 pods from there.

Personally, I’m not a big bus person - especially with Covid. If I’m going to North, I’ll just drive as I think it’s much quicker than the bus.