• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

HowieT2

I debated whether to weigh in on this as I can’t be seen as totally objective. However, I am still on the NSAA Board as Past Chair and will share some industry perspective, and I have skied 82 of my 86 days at Sugarbush this year.

First, Sugarbush thoughts. If I were still the owner the comments would be “that Smith guy is cheap and not spending money on grooming and snowmaking and lift maintenance.” There is very little that has been done this season that I would do differently. While I have no financial interest in Sugarbush or Alterra, I do have a vested interested in helping where I can with thoughts or advice. But I do that selectively as there is nothing worse than a former owner or CEO meddling after retirement. Alterra does not micro-manage. They expect John and his team to create a sensible annual budget and after review and approval they hold the Sugarbush team accountable for delivering it. No different than what we did under my ownership.
- This has been about the most challenging year for snowmaking that I have seen. It was warm and the number of snowmaking hours were brief before another warm-up hit. Sugarbush started with one of the best crews in recent years and while people were not leaving for Stowe, snowmakers actually came here instead of going to Stowe. The snowmaking temps required a different plan than we have had in past years, and that it why you saw Birdland coming on later than has been the case. While fewer gallons were blown because of the weather volatility, Sugarbush‘s cost of snowmaking went up significantly as I pointed out in any earlier post. That did not deter Sugarbush from making snow whenever they could.
-The majority of the Lifts Ops management team is still here. A big loss two years ago was Jasen Bellomy, the Lift Maintenance Manager. We got him from Saddleback when they closed, but he went back with two others when they reopened. He actually applied for a job other than lift maintenance a year ago but it did not work out and he has become the Mountain Manager at Bellayre in NY, a role he aspired to.
-Labor has been challenging everywhere as you all know. Sugarbush had 91% of jobs filled at the start of the season. Not great but better than many. I have heard of some as low as 75%. John Hammond moved the minimum wage to $15 over the summer, a significant increase, and he was one of the first to do it.
-I too wish John Egan was still here. He was a respected colleague and added a lot. The Bush Pilot coaches and Adventure Blazer coaches as no longer here, but I am not aware of other leaving because of his departure.
-Yes, the new app was a step backward and very frustrating to the Sugarbush team as well as us. Fortunately, there are some important improvements.
-Slidebrook is disappointing to all of us but also to Sugarbush. On a busy day it moves people and makes for a better guest experience. But when you are down to 8 lift mechanics from an ideal 14, it is impossible to spare one for two hours to get it open. All 40 tours have to be visually seen by a mechanic. In my opinion Spencer, the current manager of the lift maintenance team, is a very able professional and is rebuilding the team. I commented in an earlier post about some of the competition for lift mechanics.
-I disagree with the comment about the language used about skinning. It was appropriately tough given what occurred. The winch incident was the final straw, but there had been multiple violations occurring before that one.
-The blazer comment is a reasonable one. Keith Paxman took over just as the season began and inherited something that he could not fix this year.
- Yes, there have been quite a few lifts issues this year. Shit happens especially in climates like ours, but I do not think it is from neglect. That said, it sucks to be stuck on a lift for 20 or more minutes and no one cares about the reason.
- I can‘t share skier visit numbers, but I do not think they will exceed those during my final two years of ownership. But, having all lifts running and the woods skiable makes for a very different experience on a crowded day.
- Grooming. This is where I might have done things a bit differently at times Like grooming Sunrise a couple of days earlier. But I am not on top of groomer shifts and other issues that impact the daily snow plan. Stein‘s on the other hand needs to be groomed when either snow or snowmaking with occur afterwards. Otherwise, it needs winching every night which then takes away from other trails.

Now, an industry respective. At the last NSAA Board meeting we had a “go around the table update“ from all Board members who are predominantly GMs of ski areas. They come from East and West, small and large. Almost to a person they commented on how customer perception this year was as tough as they have experienced and highlighTed many of the same comments listed above.

Bottom line:

I too have heard many of these comments
Many of the skiers are first time IKON visitors
Staffing and Covid have placed huge strains on all Sugarbush areas.
Alterra is behaving exactly as they told me they would.
Example: they followed through on the commit to VASS and added more $ to improve the lodge for all
They have not inserted anyone onto the team here, but 5-6 have been promoted to jobs in Alterra.
I personally think the Sugarbush team has done an excellent job this winter and are working their ass off.

That said I am in Big Sky and will miss the Friday powder which should change the conversation.
Thank you. Really appreciate your input, not just now, but over the years.
question, there was speculation that the shortage of lift mechanics is due to low wages for the position. Is that the issue?

cdskier

911DAD39-D65F-4325-B56B-57AB375FFC4A.jpeg
Just a friendly warning from Sugarbush.

This snow is a little too dry and not bonding overly well with the ice below. I took my hard pack skis out this afternoon instead of my “packed powder” skis and I feel like it was the right choice. Lots of slick spots between the powder piles so you have to stay on your toes.

Still nice to see everything white again, but there’s lots of thin cover to watch out for.

ducky

question, there was speculation that the shortage of lift mechanics is due to low wages for the position. Is that the issue?
What do you consider low wage? Bartenders in the valley make around $30. You have to pay at least $40/hr to get your house cleaned here, as you may know and you still can't find anyone. Most of the local restaurants, Lawson's, Mad Taco, start at $20.

Once upon a time there were ski bums who would wash dishes (insert other jobs) for a pass.

Last edited:

teleo

That was the sign of the day. Lots of people came up last night and had no clue how nonexistent the base was.

Need a few more of these storms.

IceEidolon

Another question is will SB train people, say, snowmakers that are a good fit for the team and interested, to be lift mechanics? Or do they only hire people with experience.

WinS

Another question is will SB train people, say, snowmakers that are a good fit for the team and interested, to be lift mechanics? Or do they only hire people with experience.
Yes, they have and will continue I am sure to train motivated people to be a lift mechanic.

WinS

Like any business we always looked at what the market paid for all positions and tried to be competitive. In the past two years the market for experienced mechanical and electrical engineers went up to higher levels. Plus businesses outside the ski industry became competitors for lift mechanics. I know that Sugarbush is aware of what us occurring and the needs to be competitive. But it is not only just the money. Not everyone wants to be a lift mechanic because of the required work.

I just read John Bleh’s blog about lift issues which addresses many of the issues people have been raising.

Newpylong

Aerial Tramways are a very specialized skillset and there are very few mechanics overall who are proficient in it. Training is a must, but the pool is small of who will want to do it regardless of pay.

cdskier

To Win's point, @Johnny B's recent blog post over at Sugarbush's website really addresses a lot of the lift issue and lift mechanic questions being asked and discussed. Perfect timing!

Well worth a read...

Johnny B

Win - what a great post. I wish I had read it before I wrote that blog! Hopefully that blog post helps shed some light on things for all of you. We're certainly feeling like we're in a much better position today than we were over the summer, or even earlier this winter.

That being said, I hope you don't see this until after a long day of skiing. Get out there! Things are much improved from Thursday (downright scary at 3pm when I got out for a couple runs).

slatham

I am glad John followed Win’s legacy of open communication. I must say I am amazed at the number of lift issues industry wide this year.

Kingslug20

Very maintenance intensive devices...
If you dont schedule maintenance..they will schedule it for you..

urungus

Skied Castle Rock for the first time today. Castle Rock Lift was not running, not sure why, so I figured I could escape the Saturday bluebird powder day holiday week hordes by making the hike. The hike over there has been on my east coast bucket list for a while. I’ve seen it advertised as taking 15 minutes, but I am old and out of shape, so I took plenty of rest breaks and it took me about an hour from the top of Lincoln Peak. Was pretty wiped out at the end but totally worth it. Then had to decide which one run to take since I knew I wouldn’t be going back today 😀. Always wanted to try Rumble since it is considered one of the hardest trails in the East, but decided to go with the namesake Castle Rock Run. Had a super fun run down, lots of soft chopped up powder and very little of the ice lurking underneath that I experienced yesterday at Mt Ellen. Only saw one other group of people, despite the crowded conditions elsewhere on the mountain.

7160828E-4F20-426A-A572-06A0985AA9E0.jpeg

Nice soft powder on the way to the hike:
2298245A-2B21-4E59-B05A-CBB4516147AC.jpeg
The hike !!
637D671F-1B04-4F47-BEC0-BE96B0885A38.jpeg

Castle Rock Run:
241F1E40-6D35-4B82-8AC9-CF0063FE2060.jpeg

B3DA64B0-F153-40E4-B7E9-79087F2CEA79.jpeg

Smellytele

Did castle rock this afternoon. Took about 20 minutes to get over there. Could have been faster but getting my skis back on take awhile. TTS tele bindings. Anyway

Did castle rock trail as well. Softer than anything else on the mountain. Hit nothing underneath and no ice. Amazing how natural trails are so much better with fresh after a thaw freeze. Man made snow sucks!

cdskier

Did castle rock this afternoon. Took about 20 minutes to get over there. Could have been faster but getting my skis back on take awhile. TTS tele bindings. Anyway

Did castle rock trail as well. Softer than anything else on the mountain. Hit nothing underneath and no ice. Amazing how natural trails are so much better with fresh after a thaw freeze. Man made snow sucks!

I don't think it is simply natural trails being better as I skied plenty of natural trails yesterday and today that had a decent amount of things to hit underneath and ice still lurking. CR being closed during the thaws helped I'll bet. As did letting the snow settle a bit before opening up CR to hike access. And then less skier traffic helps as well. So a bunch of factors helped is my guess...

I was at ME today, so no CR for me, although those pics from urungus look like it was well worth the hike.

urungus

20 minutes, nice. I need to get on the treadmill LOL