• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

Kingslug20

I also figure that there arent many air bbs in the area or hotels. Stowe is loaded with them. Plus the drive to stowe is easier. Wednesday at Stowe was pretty busy in the morning..powder day. Yesterday at SB was totaly empty...powder day.
Im out tomorrow..i think it will be a bit of a zoo either place.

WinS

I also figure that there arent many air bbs in the area or hotels. Stowe is loaded with them. Plus the drive to stowe is easier. Wednesday at Stowe was pretty busy in the morning..powder day. Yesterday at SB was totaly empty...powder day.
Im out tomorrow..i think it will be a bit of a zoo either place.
Actually there are now hundreds of Air B&Bs in the Valley now.

Kingslug20

Where..are all the people then??
Just weekenders?
Stowe is pretty busy weekdays.

ducky

Seemed busy to me. Lot was full.

Went to MRG for the afternoon following the morning on HG and CR. Surprisingly better conditions, less ice and even the groomed was excellent. Totally different vibe and $8 cheeseburgers cooked to order.

IMG_6171.JPG

urungus

So I noticed quite a few trail signs on CR today where the top one was "erased". In addition to the ones you mentioned, this was also the case at the intersection of CR/Lower CR/Troll Road/Cotillion (Cotillion I believe is supposed to be the top one on that particular trail sign...and it was all black) and the case as well at the intersection of Middle Earth and Troll Road (ME is the top one there and was simply all black).
I noticed that too today … I think it is vandalism. Seems like there was a mini AZ convention at Castlerock today ... I even summoned up the courage to “ski” (using the term loosely) down Rumble for the first time, that is a toughie ! Thankfully the upper “rock garden” entrance was roped off…

urungus

That hut is labeled on the trail map as an actual "warming hut", so I would assume that means it should be open to the public (and I swear I've been in there before several years ago). It is possible that due to the small size it was temporarily closed to the public due to COVID.
You are correct sir, I asked a ski patroller today and he confirmed the Castlerock warming hut is temporarily closed to the public due to Covid, though he did mention they were being less strict these days, whatever that means.

cdskier

I noticed that too today … I think it is vandalism. Seems like there was a mini AZ convention at Castlerock today ... I even summoned up the courage to “ski” (using the term loosely) down Rumble for the first time, that is a toughie ! Thankfully the upper “rock garden” entrance was roped off…
Hah. CR was definitely the place to be today. I knew I wanted to get over there before the weekend crowds made it any thinner...

Congrats on hitting Rumble for the first time. I'm pretty picky about conditions to ski a trail like that. Last time I skied it was a weekday when it was dumping snow a couple years ago.

Seemed busy to me. Lot was full.

Busy? Really? Seemed pretty empty to me for a Friday. Admittedly I walked over from my condo, so I have no idea what the lot looked like. But I pretty much skied onto every lift I took this afternoon. If the lot was full, I have no idea where everyone was hiding. I did peak at the webcams several times this morning too while I was working and thought even then it seemed less crowded than some other Fridays that I remember.

HowieT2

Skied lp yesterday and Mellon today. Back to back powder days. Key was to avoid the open rock slabs. Upper fis had a great line skiers left. Black diamond was excellent. Exterminator woods still had plenty of snow when I left it this afternoon. Even lower fis was good although it will not survive tomorrow.

Kingslug20

Might hit jay tomorrow.
Looks like the only place that may get snow all day..Hope the KS effect works there..

cdskier

This afternoon was like a beautiful April spring day on the mountain...unfortunately it is only early March. Glad I waited until the afternoon to go out. Not a fan of seeing all those thin and bare spots at this point in the season though. We need some serious March dumps (and I don't see any sign of them yet)...