• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

Boxtop Willie

Echoing what CD said, this afternoon was wonderful spring-like skiing...although a month early. The rain departed, the sun came out and it was a blue bird afternoon. Stein's was the most fun in, like, forever. Huge wales, soft bumps on the edges, even the scraped off back sides of the wales were soft and edgeable. I think we lapped it half a dozen times. A rather dramatic snow loss over the last day and a half. Lots of brown showing in CR, top of north lynx and most of the natural snow trails. Birdland was quite good, even Lower Birdland, surprisingly. It was spotty but if you could stay out of the troughs the snow was good.
BTW, High Fives was there today. There were some athletes on sit-skis absolutely ripping it. I was amazed.

cdskier

Echoing what CD said, this afternoon was wonderful spring-like skiing...although a month early. The rain departed, the sun came out and it was a blue bird afternoon. Stein's was the most fun in, like, forever. Huge wales, soft bumps on the edges, even the scraped off back sides of the wales were soft and edgeable. I think we lapped it half a dozen times. A rather dramatic snow loss over the last day and a half. Lots of brown showing in CR, top of north lynx and most of the natural snow trails. Birdland was quite good, even Lower Birdland, surprisingly. It was spotty but if you could stay out of the troughs the snow was good.
BTW, High Fives was there today. There were some athletes on sit-skis absolutely ripping it. I was amazed.

Yes...the whale hunting on Stein's was definitely the pick of the day! And yes, those athletes on the sit-skis were incredible.

Lotso

Tough hit to snowpack yesterday and last night, and who knows what today's mess will do...with no more snowmaking or big storms on the horizon it will be a short spring...enjoyed it yesterday afternoon, for sure!

mikec142

My season zigged when it should have zagged. I took a fall on the last day of a President's weekend trip to Vail that resulted in a small tear of the right calf. It's not nearly as bad as the tear to the left calf from two years ago that ended my season. Doc says I can ski this upcoming weekend. It's still a bit sore, but I'm walking fine. Just don't know if I want to drive 5.5 hours each way for crappy conditions or give it another week to heal. I'm gonna hold off on any decisions until the last minute (my wife loves when I do that...it makes it so easy for her to make social plans for us. LOL.) I'm kinda bummed that I didn't head up this past weekend for Friday and Saturday which looked pretty great.

Kingslug20

Went to stowe..held the rain off at least..
Nit a bad day so far for what is open

djd66

Once the sun came out yesterday, the skiing was very good. Steins was pick of the day for sure,...right hand side of the trail was like skiing in a half-pipe. I have to say, it was very depressing to see how much melt had taken place. I think there will not be much natural left if we don't get a dump soon. I truly hate this time of year when things start to recede. There is nothing more ugly than when things get muddy. Lets hope for some March snow!

cdskier

Looks like there were a good number of us from this forum out there yesterday afternoon!

Kingslug20

Trying to forget..i wasnt there...
But...its still only march 7...more to come.
Remember last seasons late dump

Shredmonkey254

I was there in the morning unfortunately. got soaked and bid a hasty retreat.
Gotta say I wish we hung around for the afternoon, sounds wonderful, especially after spending the day in Slidebrook on Saturday, which was close to perfect! Buggered my board a bit, but so worth it! Really wonder if that was the last day of the year for those runs. waaaaah!

On a whole other thought - I love all the webcams that were installed this year and made available for us to look at. It's a fantastic thing, allowing me to live check lift lines while riding and live vicariously thru them when not there, especially the ones that scan the mountains.
I don't know if other ski areas do this, but more should as it really enriches the ski experience in a positive way. Who ever decided to expand the webcam options deserves a beer!

Los

It’s hard to read this as anything other than, “That’s a wrap folks - winter’s over!”

hovercraft

Gotta say I wish we hung around for the afternoon, sounds wonderful, especially after spending the day in Slidebrook on Saturday, which was close to perfect! Buggered my board a bit, but so worth it! Really wonder if that was the last day of the year for those runs. waaaaah!

On a whole other thought - I love all the webcams that were installed this year and made available for us to look at. It's a fantastic thing, allowing me to live check lift lines while riding and live vicariously thru them when not there, especially the ones that scan the mountains.
I don't know if other ski areas do this, but more should as it really enriches the ski experience in a positive way. Who ever decided to expand the webcam options deserves a beer!
Don’t say that shredmonkey more white magic is on it’s way,

cdskier

I was there in the morning unfortunately. got soaked and bid a hasty retreat.

I woke up, looked at the radar and what was coming, and said "Nope...I'll wait it out and see what happens this afternoon".

rocks860

I still have a quad pack ticket left so I was thinking about coming up Sunday and staying Sunday night to ski Monday. I know it’s been absurdly warm down here in ct so I’m wondering if it’s been just as bad up there? I don’t foresee finding a better Time than now this season

NYSnowflake

Looks like there were a good number of us from this forum out there yesterday afternoon!
I was out there yesterday AM and PM! The soft corduroy on Rim Run and Joe’s Cruiser was awesome from 8-11am. We were on summit lift in high winds, zero visibility fog, and rain/icepellets but the snow was fantastic on Rim Run and Looking Good so we kept doing laps. Went back to condo to change into dry clothes and eat lunch, then skied LP in the sunshine all afternoon. Good day!

Hawk

Back from a week at Squaw (Palasades Tahoe) and Alpine meadows. Really fun week and enjoyed a mix of 50's and then snow. It is really cool to end the day doing a KT-22 and then rolling down to the Chamois. Saw a few celebs and tipped many beers.

Sounds like the season is in trouble. I'll be back next weekend to see the damage. Hopefully we will get some improved weather to end it up.