• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

cdskier

I follow Empire Weather, which provides forecasts for several ski areas. I also use Weatherbell. NWS has good info too and is of course free. Like the graphic above of snowfall. Also the discussions, the latest of which states "Snow totals now range from 7 to 14 inches across the region with the highest amount expected across the northwestern slopes of the Adirondack and Green Mountains."

If upslope can deliver Saturday night then thats how you get to 18"or so along the higher elevations of the spine of the Greens. Upslope is tough to forecast, and I don't trust Skiology TBH. The storm is moving fast which is a worry on higher amounts.

Winds could be a problem Sunday morning, but will also create so deep snow in certain places too.

Have fun.

The latest forecast from Scott Braaten says 8-14" in NVT above 1500'. He expressed some concerns the other day with the forecasts other people were giving, and at least at this point, the latest model data seems to support Scott's concerns.

djd66

Yes, it was winched last night.
I liked it how it was skiing on Sunday with the big mohawk down the middle. Skiing the right hand side of the trail was like skiing in a half-pipe. I know they eventually had to groom it and makes sense before a storm.

KustyTheKlown

im admittedly not familiar with friday traffic, but the super bravo cam looks pretty busy to me for 2 on a Friday. lots of people getting into position for the weekend i suppose. cant wait to get out of here. obnoxious 330-430 meeting on the calendar today.

slatham

The latest forecast from Scott Braaten says 8-14" in NVT above 1500'. He expressed some concerns the other day with the forecasts other people were giving, and at least at this point, the latest model data seems to support Scott's concerns.
Thank you, had not heard of him. Just read his noon update and he is consistent with what I have seen on models and heard from pro mets. A good 10-14" storm.

brandt_cant_watch

my fancy breakfast doesnt start til 8!

thats bullshit for a ski town b'n'b where the lifts start at 8
My gf and I stayed at another B&B in the valley. The breakfast aspect felt obligatory and I have to admit it was a little awkward when we rushed out at 7am Sat to Paradise Provisions instead. We stayed for the breakfast on Sunday and didn't get our first run until 10ish.

That being said, the place was fantastic and will definitely go back...just not on a powder hound weekend.

cdskier

im admittedly not familiar with friday traffic, but the super bravo cam looks pretty busy to me for 2 on a Friday. lots of people getting into position for the weekend i suppose. cant wait to get out of here. obnoxious 330-430 meeting on the calendar today.
I've skied most Friday afternoons for the past month and a half. This was pretty average.

The damage to the trails though is worse than I expected (and I've been up here and seen the weather all week...just haven't been on the mountain). The snow-loss was about what I expected, but the bigger issue is the condition of the "base" that is left on trails. I don't know if I've ever seen so much ice and ice flows up here on trails. I'm increasingly concerned that tomorrow is going to be a bit of a shit-show with not enough terrain to spread people around. I think it will take a while before too many ropes can drop.

On the plus side, Stein's was definitely the trail of the afternoon. Some real nice soft snow on it in many spots. The grooming was a little strange though...there's a pretty substantial "hump" left in the middle. They usually flatten that out a bit more and push more to the sides.

No lines at all today..was there open till 1ish.
Must've just missed you...again! I got out there at 1:15.

Thank you, had not heard of him. Just read his noon update and he is consistent with what I have seen on models and heard from pro mets. A good 10-14" storm.
He at one point was a pro met that focused specifically on creating ski forecasts for several New England TV stations (I think he may do something else as his day job now, but not entirely sure). N-VT is really his main focus area and specialty. He also worked for Stowe at one point in the past as a weather consultant (among other things including being their snow reporter for several years). He's not one to hype up storms unless it is really justified (unlike some other Internet weather people).

Kingslug20

Yup..steins was a big hump in the middle..with a lot if people on it...you can pick up speed on that thing..not a goid thing with people zipping all over it..but still fun!
I hope people..who dont know whats beneath them take it easy when the snow just covers the crap..patrol will be busy.20220311_091447.jpg

Kingslug20

We skied the same thing as thst at stowe yesterday..beginning of chin clip up to the bail out..why the fuck they opened it is a mystery...

slatham

Jesus people should be 6” by noon and snowing 1”+ per hour. If you can’t find stashes at Ellen (or Lincoln for that matter) and have the skills to pounce under those circumstances your in the wrong sport.

djd66

Jesus people should be 6” by noon and snowing 1”+ per hour. If you can’t find stashes at Ellen (or Lincoln for that matter) and have the skills to pounce under those circumstances your in the wrong sport.
I agree, I think the wet snow will bond to a lot of those frozen icefalls. 14” of snow will do wonders for this place and for me!

HowieT2

I thought the on piste conditions were surprisingly ok today. Not good by any means but Steins and lower organ grinder skied well. It’s a shame there isn’t enough base to groom out some of the ice moguls prior to this snowfall. Will have to make do.