• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

pinnoke

Even the 142 is a bit of a stretch, perhaps, as totals are now compiled even before the lifts begin to spin, as well as taking the summit measurement vs. lower. Several years ago, I liked to claim that we only reported measurement of "a big, fat, Sugarbush inch" in comparison to what I called "the Killington inch" (never in writing, of course!). And, Win has a funny story as to how Jay Peak always seemed to report "two feet"...

cdskier

Even the 142 is a bit of a stretch, perhaps, as totals are now compiled even before the lifts begin to spin, as well as taking the summit measurement vs. lower. Several years ago, I liked to claim that we only reported measurement of "a big, fat, Sugarbush inch" in comparison to what I called "the Killington inch" (never in writing, of course!). And, Win has a funny story as to how Jay Peak always seemed to report "two feet"...
MRG reports 146 at the summit there...so I think the 142 is probably relatively close to reality.

Base elevation SB only reports 104" to date this season. Not at all good...

Los

I have one full voucher left (in addition to a bunch of 50% off vouchers) - if anyone would like it, please let me know.

cdskier

Wow that is a lame snow season.
Last year at this point in the season we were at 153" summit and 116" base (with all 111 trails still open)...so snowfall this year is only slightly behind last year. However this year we had a lot more thaws and rain than we had through this point of the season last year which is the major difference.

mikec142

Last year at this point in the season we were at 153" summit and 116" base (with all 111 trails still open)...so snowfall this year is only slightly behind last year. However this year we had a lot more thaws and rain than we had through this point of the season last year which is the major difference.
Last year...MLK thru February was awesome. I don't think there were any freeze/thaw events during that period.

Sadly, it seems like my season is done. Fingers crossed for some sort of miracle.

slatham

Last year sucked too. But there was a run from the pre-Christmas rain storm until after Presidents week of no non-frozen precipitation, and no thaws. Skiing actually got very good for weeks on end even if there weren't a slew of dumps.

WinS

I will check but we are trending towards the lowest snowfall total since Sugarbush opened in 1958!

cdskier

Last year sucked too. But there was a run from the pre-Christmas rain storm until after Presidents week of no non-frozen precipitation, and no thaws. Skiing actually got very good for weeks on end even if there weren't a slew of dumps.
Yup...Exactly my point. You can survive a shitty snow year and still manage to have good conditions on the slopes if you avoid the non-frozen precip and thaws. Those 2 things are killing us this year in the 2nd low snow year in a row (or is it 3rd? We were around 140" in 2020 when things shut down in mid-March and I can't recall too much whether much snow happened after that...I remember it being a cool spring, but don't remember much about the precip).

Stein's Run still looks incredibly deep (after the last round of snow-making on it a couple weeks ago, possibly even deeper than I can ever remember seeing it), which is great...but at the same time, if we're down to that too early in the spring, I'll be bored of it in no time. (I'm not as confident in the depth on Snowball/Spring Fling...).

SkiTheEast

I read somewhere that Sugarbush has never had back to back below 200" years. Is that in jeopardy now? Honestly can't remember where we ended up last year.

cdskier

I read somewhere that Sugarbush has never had back to back below 200" years. Is that in jeopardy now? Honestly can't remember where we ended up last year.
178" was last year's total...

I'm still not sure what the actual 2020 total was, but I feel like it had to be below 200" which already would mean 2020 and 2021 were both potentially below 200" (we were at 141" as of 3/14/20 when things shut down that season...and I don't think we had 60" of snow after that)

machski

178" was last year's total...

I'm still not sure what the actual 2020 total was, but I feel like it had to be below 200" which already would mean 2020 and 2021 were both potentially below 200" (we were at 141" as of 3/14/20 when things shut down that season...and I don't think we had 60" of snow after that)
Not sure what Vermont got, but NH and Maine got pounded with snow after the 2020 shutdown. Friends who live full time were posting picks of the skinning and skiing. Would have been an awesome late spring season except for the pesky bug. We wound up hiking Mt. Moosilauke that Memorial day, it had just snowed another foot a week or so earlier and Beaver Brook trailside still had to have 3-4 foot base depth above 2500'. If you went off the packed monorail, you post holes up to your waist!

cdskier

Not sure what Vermont got, but NH and Maine got pounded with snow after the 2020 shutdown. Friends who live full time were posting picks of the skinning and skiing. Would have been an awesome late spring season except for the pesky bug. We wound up hiking Mt. Moosilauke that Memorial day, it had just snowed another foot a week or so earlier and Beaver Brook trailside still had to have 3-4 foot base depth above 2500'. If you went off the packed monorail, you post holes up to your waist!

Found the numbers on page 412 of this thread. As of what would have been the expected closing date for the 2020 season (5/3), SB had 193" (so roughly a total of 50" in the 6 weeks after shutting down). It then snowed even more after that in May to bring them to/over 200". I remembered it being a cool spring...I just didn't remember all the snow after mid-March.

machski

Found the numbers on page 412 of this thread. As of what would have been the expected closing date for the 2020 season (5/3), SB had 193" (so roughly a total of 50" in the 6 weeks after shutting down). It then snowed even more after that in May to bring them to/over 200". I remembered it being a cool spring...I just didn't remember all the snow after mid-March.
I did. It killed me we were missing out on it due to the shutdowns. Those don't come along often so it really hurt just watching it fall.

Hawk

The conversations within the group this weekend were depressing. Things like, what is the over under on which weekend we will be just Steins? If this pattern persists it might be 4/9. I hope not. May is 6 weeks out. At this rate do you think the snow on Steins will last? More importanly do you think they will keep operations open until then if skier visits fall off? Typically they close the last week in April and reopen for Cinco de Mayo and the Kentucky Derby. This year 5/5 is a Thursday and the Kentucky Derby is Saturday 5/7. That is a long way off.