• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

cdskier

The conversations within the group this weekend were depressing. Things like, what is the over under on which weekend we will be just Steins? If this pattern persists it might be 4/9. I hope not. May is 6 weeks out. At this rate do you think the snow on Steins will last? More importanly do you think they will keep operations open until then if skier visits fall off? Typically they close the last week in April and reopen for Cinco de Mayo and the Kentucky Derby. This year 5/5 is a Thursday and the Kentucky Derby is Saturday 5/7. That is a long way off.
Sadly I was having these exact same conversations this weekend. Completely agree that these conversations were utterly depressing...

KustyTheKlown

how was the weather and snow this weekend? i expected deluge down in jersey city on Saturday and was downright annoyed by the beautiful day. then yesterday i woke up and it was beautiful again and i almost ran to windham or stratton at like 7 am. kind of kicking myself that i didn't as the days dwindle. was it actively raining during either ski day over the weekend?

i am going up this coming weekend no matter what i think. maybe even as far as jay just to burn the indy day. could also do cannon, waterville, bolton. then i think stratton sunday while on the way home

SAD

i was so bored not skiing yesterday that i went ahead and booked cheap hotels with free reservations and last minute cancellation policies for jackson, ketchum, and ogden for late February 2023 :ROFLMAO: some great airbnbs but i didn't want to pay deposits now. i can prob still book those airbnbs in like august lol

Hawk

At Sugarbush:
Friday: sunny, warm in the 50's approching 60. Soft conditions. Really nice.
Saturday: overnight it poured rain a few hours early morning and then stopped. There was light rain at openeing but then it stopped most of the day. Skiing was soft but there was thick fog from just below the bravo top all the way up. really hard to see. Fog was eating the snow. temps in the 40's to low 50's midday. We got heavey showers about 10:00pm Saturday night.
Sunday was broken clouds and cooler but no rain. At least when i was there. I only did a few runs. it was still soft.

HowieT2

At Sugarbush:
Saturday: overnight it poured rain a few hours early morning and then stopped. There was light rain at openeing but then it stopped most of the day. Skiing was soft but there was thick fog from just below the bravo top all the way up. really hard to see. Fog was eating the snow. temps in the 40's to low 50's midday. We got heavey showers about 10:00pm Saturday night.
Sunday was broken clouds and cooler but no rain. At least when i was there. I only did a few runs. it was still soft.
I would just add that heavens gate was iffy all day friday and saturday. I don't think I had one ride without multiple stop starts.

cdskier

At Sugarbush:

It finally rained Sunday late in the afternoon (maybe around 3ish?). I think it was cold enough up top at that point to be snow at the summit and then snow levels dropped as the evening went on. At the base it only amounted to a light dusting on a few colder surfaces by this morning. I skied about a dozen runs in the morning yesterday. Some of the ungroomed runs seemed firmer on Sunday than on Saturday (Lower Snowball, Lower Organgrinder).

cdskier

I would just add that heavens gate was iffy all day friday and saturday. I don't think I had one ride without multiple stop starts.

I never made it up there Saturday. I'm trying to remember how it was on Sunday. I think there were multiple stop/starts Sunday as well if I recall correctly on the couple runs I took up there.

cdskier

I'm off the rest of the week...timing certainly not ideal but I scheduled these days a while ago. Probably going to head to Stowe tomorrow to burn my 1 day pass that I have there. A bit of a waste considering what is open over there, but I don't know when I'll get another chance this season to use it.

hovercraft

I'm off the rest of the week...timing certainly not ideal but I scheduled these days a while ago. Probably going to head to Stowe tomorrow to burn my 1 day pass that I have there. A bit of a waste considering what is open over there, but I don't know when I'll get another chance this season to use it.
it looks like snow on Thursday night so friday might be a good day to go or Sunday as they are calling for 6 or more starting early morning.

cdskier

it looks like snow on Thursday night so friday might be a good day to go or Sunday as they are calling for 6 or more starting early morning.
Even at 3800' I'm only seeing a low of 30 Thursday night with a mix of rain, snow and freezing rain in the latest forecasts. Seems risky to wait for Friday. Sunday's out as I have to pack up and leave to go to Cambridge for a work trip in the afternoon so I'll only have time for a few hours of skiing Sunday morning.

hovercraft

Even at 3800' I'm only seeing a low of 30 Thursday night with a mix of rain, snow and freezing rain in the latest forecasts. Seems risky to wait for Friday. Sunday's out as I have to pack up and leave to go to Cambridge for a work trip in the afternoon so I'll only have time for a few hours of skiing Sunday morning.