• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

Kingslug20

Going to k ..if it doesn't deliver at least superstar and a few others are still good..

thebigo

Going to k ..if it doesn't deliver at least superstar and a few others are still good..

Had the same plan but NWS point and click shows the following for 3400'.

Rain and snow, becoming all snow after noon. The snow could be heavy at times. High near 34. Very windy, with a southeast wind 39 to 49 mph becoming south 24 to 34 mph in the morning. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 2 to 4 inches possible.

KustyTheKlown

hope the storm delivers a little and that they can keep heavens gate thru the weekend. sat and sunday look like fairly nice 50ish degree sun days as of now.

nice that this time of year that the hotels that are actually in warren/waitsfield are affordable and available.

haven't pulled the trigger yet but looking like I'll be at the mad river lodge this weekend. considering booking saturday only. with the late lifts start i can just leave the house at like 4 AM sat morning. save $100 on the room and keep a happier girlfriend Friday night if we go to an early date dinner.

could also do whiteface saturday if this storm pounds the adks. $50 lift tickets. not terrible. tho i am really into squeezing max value out of my prepaid passes right now

Kingslug20

Whiteface is closed until the weekend..and they are going to get pounded tomorrow...oy

KustyTheKlown

Whiteface is closed until the weekend..and they are going to get pounded tomorrow...oy

ya the snow will mank up by the weekend so it wont be pow, but it will be a nice addition for the groomers to work with and to add to the au natural corn cycle

Shredmonkey254

thetrailboss

Staff member
Congrats to Win.

SkiTheEast

Still super early days but looks like a couple working proposals starting to perculate with the NFS if I'm reading these correctly:

Replace Heaven's Gate with fixed grip quad (for 23-24 season?):

Regrade of Reverse Traverse to improve downhill from top of Valley House to Heavens Gate and Improve Snowmaking (this off season?):

Last edited:

cdskier

Good finds...I try to look for new ACT 250 filings periodically, but forget to look at the NFS SOPA reports...

WinS

What are the chances Heavens Gate will still be spinning this Friday
Still super early days but looks like a couple working proposals starting to perculate with the NFS if I'm reading these correctly:

Replace Heaven's Gate with fixed grip quad (for 23-24 season?):

Regrade of Reverse Traverse to improve downhill from top of Valley House to Heavens Gate and Improve Snowmaking (this off season?):
These have been part of the long-term plan and which I believe Alterra supports. The question will be in my opinion what comes first. John told me what he believes will get well funded this year, and I was impressed with what may get approved, but it is his to communicate. The idea of reverse traverse is to take out the uphill climb and put snowmaking all the way through Heaven’s Gate Traverse. That way one can get to the entire mountain easily off of Valley House lift.

Even though the drive was replaced in HG only a few years ago and it’s useful life is still a number of years into the future, the idea is to one day have a lower profile lift that is less vulnerable to windhold. A fixed grip quad is heavier and if lower could accomplish that.

There are some other things in the plan which may not appear exciting but are essential like the new dam in the Mad River which is the first step in the master plan to increase snowmaking capacity at LP. There is also a need to replace the original sand filter in the waste water plant that services all the base lodges, the condos and homes on the mountain (other than the newest ones). While still working it is approaching its useful life. All the engineering has been completed.

There is also a plan to replace the pipe on Pushover and Easy Rider and install click hydrants. Thus would allow these critical beginner/intermediate slopes to get open faster. I also know that a lot of work has gone into designer a new Glen House that would have multi-season use.

Of course, one of the challenges is finding contractors and supplies even when things are approved. Like all of you, I am interested in what will be new for 2022/2023.