• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

jimmywilson69

Did that article say they were putting new chairs and tower toppers on HG next year? That seems like a decent investment for a lift that is on the replacement list. Even if it's a few years out...

Also LOL to Mr Fake weatherman.

WWF-VT

Did that article say they were putting new chairs and tower toppers on HG next year? That seems like a decent investment for a lift that is on the replacement list. Even if it's a few years out..

Also LOL to Mr Fake weatherman.
regular upkeep work including new communications line, new chairs and new tower caps - not a significant investment

And yes it was stupid by Mr Skiology to even think it made sense to lower the base of the HG chair

cdskier

regular upkeep work including new communications line, new chairs and new tower caps - not a significant investment

And yes it was stupid by Mr Skiology to even think it made sense to lower the base of the HG chair

The biggest problem is there are so many people that blindly believe him and are going to be surprised when that doesn't happen.

djd66

What are "tower caps" and why would they be replacing them when they are planning on installing a new lift in the near future?

FWIW - the skiology guy is a complete tool. His "prediction" is the most idiotic thing I have heard regarding Sugarbush infrastructure. Has the guy ever even skied Sugarbush? Doubt it.

Newpylong

I did a comm line on a 2500 foot lift with the vendor and it was by no means an easy, quick, or insignificant investment. HG is almost double that in length. It isn't something you do on a short timer.

I have no clue what "tower caps" are but there must have been a significant percentage of chairs that are failing NDT to warrant wholesale replacement. That is not a typical maintenance item and also not something you do for a lift on its senior slide.

Likewise, they must be having irreparable issues with the safety comms if the line is getting replaced. Did the lift go down a lot this past winter? If you get faults on the sensors constantly that won't clear, the comms are typically bad. It's a pretty brutal environment up there, wouldn't surprise me. All of these items together, without further information, seems weird with the lift coming out in the near future. Unless near future isn't really near future :)

Last edited:

cdskier

Yes it was down a couple times. I remember it was down on a pretty sick pow weekend too, which sucked unless you hiked up.
If that is one of the weekends I'm thinking of, then HG having issues was fantastic if you were one of the lucky ones that caught it in the short timespan it was running. That Paradise run I had that time was easily one of my top 5 runs of all time. Also pretty sure it was a sensor/comm issue that was causing issues that time.

SteezyRob

If that is one of the weekends I'm thinking of, then HG having issues was fantastic if you were one of the lucky ones that caught it in the short timespan it was running. That Paradise run I had that time was easily one of my top 5 runs of all time. Also pretty sure it was a sensor/comm issue that was causing issues that time.
You probably are, any run taken up there would have easily been in the top 5. Although I did skin up earlier, later that day at maybe 2:30 (the lift was running by that point) I had best run of my life.

Last edited:

teleo

Ah yes, I was one of the few that morning. Took forever to get to the top. But I got spills with 1 track on it. Best run of the year.

I recall Hammond being really frustrated that they replaced all the sensors on one of the top exposed towers, and then the fault moved to another tower. Believe there were other days with faults up there too.

Hawk

I was on the 3rd chair that day. Hammond was behind us when the lift went down. He was not pleased. But these things happen to a Poma lift that is 38 years old.

Also, Steezy mentions on of my favorite lines by the locals name. You must know people. ;-)

teleo

Haven't been in Highway 21 in a number of years and I recall it growing in. Is it overgrown now?

Newpylong

95% of the trails that have pipes on both sides places don't use them due to prevailing winds, it's not really worth it when you have to wait for perfect conditions. Operationally easier to just make more with the towers and blade it over. Really only an issue at the upper widest section, they can just tilt them back for more throw there.

Last edited:

slatham

Or if you really want to make snow on the other side of the trail you string a few hoses together and use land/sled guns in the middle of the trail ( at night of course).