• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

KustyTheKlown

i love snowball>fling. one of my favorite cruising groomers in new england. i particularly like the low skier's right side that doesn't always get groomed.

SteezyRob

imo lwr. snowball is much better than fling. just more roll-ier and enjoyable. spring is good in the... spring, but lwr snowball's still usually more fun as it's combat skiing through the grass and rocks lol

cdskier

Murphy's tends to be pretty late in the snowmaking plan now typically. (Which if we get natural snow I happen to love as Murphy's on all natural snow is a lot of fun).

Spring Fling, Jester/DS/OG, GH Route, Lower OG, mid/lower Jester and/or more GH. That tends to be the general pattern for the early season snow-making plan lately.

cdskier

Given new, modern, high efficiency snowmaking off of GH you can bet that’s earlier than normal this year.
Really can't get much earlier than they've been doing it as there's no way that takes priority over an SB/VH/HG route. But yes, they surely want to use those new guns and pipes over there as soon as practical.

tumbler

I admit I was skeptical of opening on SB->Fling but it was so much better than Jester->DS. No downloading and easier to navigate around people. The pitch on Fling is much better and consistent than lower SB.

SkiTheEast

Ugh, more cannabis...no offense to those who imbibe but Worthy Burger and Sage both replaced in some part by cannabis operations. Understand it's the flavor of the month but sad to see 2 Valley restaurants go and replaced by this...also might be mistaken but thought I saw reports of another shop going in the old Infinite Sports next to Mehurons...3 shops in all basically walking distance?

SteezyRob

Ugh, more cannabis...no offense to those who imbibe but Worthy Burger and Sage both replaced in some part by cannabis operations. Understand it's the flavor of the month but sad to see 2 Valley restaurants go and replaced by this...also might be mistaken but thought I saw reports of another shop going in the old Infinite Sports next to Mehurons...3 shops in all basically walking distance?
yay more weed to stink up the mountain!

skiur

The restaurants didn't leave so a dispensary could come in. The restaurants shut down and the dispensaries took the vacant spot. Dispensaries are actually good for restaurants. They give people the munchies! 😜

SkiTheEast

The restaurants didn't leave so a dispensary could come in. The restaurants shut down and the dispensaries took the vacant spot. Dispensaries are actually good for restaurants. They give people the munchies! 😜

Yes, I think most people understand that the dispensaries didn't boot the restaurants out and that they are just taking the available space. I recognize it's extremely difficult for restaurants even in ordinary times and this is not ordinary times. Just sad that the vacancies weren't filled by other restaurants. As noted above the dining options in the valley are dwindling due to a number of factors (cost/availability of housing, lack of staff, increases in food prices leading to declining margins, etc)

My point is moreso what is the demand for all these businesses? I guess the market will determine but there are less than 10k full-time residents in the entire valley (plus additional seasonal visitors) and the target clientele is limited.

cdskier

Yes, I think most people understand that the dispensaries didn't boot the restaurants out and that they are just taking the available space. I recognize it's extremely difficult for restaurants even in ordinary times and this is not ordinary times. Just sad that the vacancies weren't filled by other restaurants. As noted above the dining options in the valley are dwindling due to a number of factors (cost/availability of housing, lack of staff, increases in food prices leading to declining margins, etc)

My point is moreso what is the demand for all these businesses? I guess the market will determine but there are less than 10k full-time residents in the entire valley (plus additional seasonal visitors) and the target clientele is limited.

I agree. 3 (or even 2) seems overkill for the MRV area. But we'll see what happens.

cdskier

How many places in the MRV area sell alcohol ?

Not exactly a like for like comparison. There are a lot more people that drink than use cannabis. And the vast majority of places that sell alcohol in the MRV don't have that as their main business. There's really only 1 place in the MRV that sells wine/beer as their primary business (assuming Waitsfield wine shop is still open). There's also only one place that sells hard alcohol (Mehurons).

SkiTheEast

Not exactly a like for like comparison. There are a lot more people that drink than use cannabis. And the vast majority of places that sell alcohol in the MRV don't have that as their main business. There's really only 1 place in the MRV that sells wine/beer as their primary business (assuming Waitsfield wine shop is still open). There's also only one place that sells hard alcohol (Mehurons).
100% agreed. Will also add that if 3 different liquor stores came in and replaced Sage, Worthy Burger and Infinite Sports I would still have the same feelings.

KustyTheKlown

They’ll all print money on the winter weekends and the summer at least until NY and CT set up their dispensaries