• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The "Sugarbush Thread"

skiur

Not exactly a like for like comparison. There are a lot more people that drink than use cannabis. And the vast majority of places that sell alcohol in the MRV don't have that as their main business. There's really only 1 place in the MRV that sells wine/beer as their primary business (assuming Waitsfield wine shop is still open). There's also only one place that sells hard alcohol (Mehurons).
What about bars?

KustyTheKlown

What about bars?

Also not an apt comparison until there are onsite consumption cannabis lounge type places. It’s a vibe in Amsterdam but not one I think I’d be super into in the USA, especially rural. It’s just generally more of a product to buy and take home than alcohol, at least for me

Hawk

It was my understanding that the Worthy Burger location will not be a dispensory. I heard it was going to be a processing plant. Either way the single biggest issue in the valley for restauraunts is Labor. The staff is still just not there. I have been into Flatbread, Mad Taco, Hyde Away, Tucker Hill and Bluestone over the last few weeks and had long conversations with many of the bar tenders and staff. There are just not enough people to do the work. Flat Bread which is by far the most sucessful place is still working with 1/2 the staff which is making them stay with the order at the bar thing. Even this winter they are saying they will keep it that way with less table tops availible to manage the crowd.

tumbler

Being in the restaurant business in the Valley has always been tough but as Hawk said the lack of labor is much worse now. There were always the staples, Flatbread, Hyde Away, The Den and old Common Man and then others that tried and unfortunately failed. Now Common Man gone (for a while), Hyde Away open 5-6 days a week, The Den is Bluestone and still open and of course Flatbread. I think the model very few seats and take out only would work well for the winter. Many families don't want to go to a restaurant after skiing all day and don't want to cook. Don't have a crazy menu and crank out the food.

djd66

In the past, we went out for dinner quite often. However, just like I did last year, I will be eating at home for most of my meals. I can't deal with crappy service. I remember last year I called Fit to be Tied for takeout - they would not even pick up the phone. I feel bad for the owners of these places, but come on, at least pick up the phone. I really miss Pizza Soul being in the village. That was my go to place and he could crank out a ton of pizza in that tiny space. I got to point where i would call my order in when I got off at Exit 5 on Friday nights and it would be ready when I got to the Mtn. One thing I have always thought of - they make pretty good pies in the Gatehouse lodge - would be a great business for the MTN to sell pizza until 8:00PM on weekends.

HowieT2

Bummed Sage is closed. Liked that place. That building was empty for years after Egan's shut down.
I assume the dispensary will be in the lower level where the mad river distillery shop was? Is it going to be a retail dispensary or medical only?

I wonder if the labor situation will ease somewhat now that the pandemic is receding into the rear view mirror. Maybe some kids from the southern hemisphere will come up during their summer to ski for the season.

1dog

Bummed Sage is closed. Liked that place. That building was empty for years after Egan's shut down.
I assume the dispensary will be in the lower level where the mad river distillery shop was? Is it going to be a retail dispensary or medical only?

I wonder if the labor situation will ease somewhat now that the pandemic is receding into the rear view mirror. Maybe some kids from the southern hemisphere will come up during their summer to ski for the season.
That would help, but where will they lodge?
Wonder what % of problem is cost of housing, lack of housing?
Pay?
Availability of workforce?
Sure it’s a combo but affordable housing solves a large portion of pay problem.
Young folks want the experience more than the higher pay.
Make sense?

camberstick

The lack of cheap rentals that we all had access to years ago is gone. Being a ski bum isn't accessible like before. It's hard enough to get help outside a mountain town.

1dog

yup, remote work, one homestead instead of two, cashing out in wherever urban area to move to the rural, pay any amount asked because a. money is free ( thx to the Federal Reserve easy money policies of last 14 years); b. buy up other inexpensive rental property to Airbnb it. c. eat in more. d. have city money to spend in rural area.

We aren't alone - have a close friend in MS ' Penn family sells $650K cape and moves down, buys 4 houses in Hattiesburg - one for them, 3 for rental income all cash - and still have $100K left over. . . . . .

hovercraft

It was my understanding that the Worthy Burger location will not be a dispensory. I heard it was going to be a processing plant. Either way the single biggest issue in the valley for restauraunts is Labor. The staff is still just not there. I have been into Flatbread, Mad Taco, Hyde Away, Tucker Hill and Bluestone over the last few weeks and had long conversations with many of the bar tenders and staff. There are just not enough people to do the work. Flat Bread which is by far the most sucessful place is still working with 1/2 the staff which is making them stay with the order at the bar thing. Even this winter they are saying they will keep it that way with less table tops availible to manage the crowd.
Ordering from the bar is here to stay. Thats the only way for a lot of restaurants can stay in business as there is no help to be found as you point out. It’s happening in big cities where there is a bigger population to choose from, (but still no workers to be found). I can think of 5 restaurants in Burlington that have converted to that model in the past 18 months. (they can’t find help even in a college town). Zero gravity has gone as far to have no hostess at all. You walk in, find your own table seat yourself if you can find one. If not you hover until you find a table, seat yourself, go to the bar, order your food and beverage then it gets delivered by a food runner. They have stations set up in every room where you get your own water, napkins, silver, and condiment. The only human contact you have with the staff is the encounter with the bartender and the food runner. Very different experience compared to 3 years ago. So much empathy for these restaurants in small area like MRV. The business is hard enough on its own without the help issue. To much of a grind, not worth doing it, life is to short so they close up. Not sure how that environment changes. It’s sad on many levels……..

KustyTheKlown

i dont really mind counter/bar service for most informal food. helps the restaurants keep the lights on then I'm for it

IceEidolon

At some point if it keeps on like this you'll have to build a restaurant as a four story apartment building with the top three floors being employee housing.

cdskier

Surprised they were blowing at ME already...although perhaps they wanted to test the new pipes a bit? They're still going at ME too as can be seen on the Walt's webcam. Nothing happening at LP though that is visible on any of the cams.

KustyTheKlown

At some point if it keeps on like this you'll have to build a restaurant as a four story apartment building with the top three floors being employee housing.

that's kind of how i assume a lot of old restaurants in NYC survive. they've owned the real estate since 1955, the pizza place loses money, they rent out 8 apts upstairs.

tumbler

The lack of cheap rentals that we all had access to years ago is gone. Being a ski bum isn't accessible like before. It's hard enough to get help outside a mountain town.
There was never really cheap rentals in the Valley, it's always been expensive to live/rent there. What little cheap stuff there was, was gross.

tumbler

Surprised they were blowing at ME already...although perhaps they wanted to test the new pipes a bit? They're still going at ME too as can be seen on the Walt's webcam. Nothing happening at LP though that is visible on any of the cams.
Could see it being a test but they also normally have WC training their for a few teams and Elbow is a good trail for that.

Hawk

There was never really cheap rentals in the Valley, it's always been expensive to live/rent there. What little cheap stuff there was, was gross.
The last time I rented was in 2006. We rented a 900 sf unit at Village Run Condos for $6K for the season. 2 bed on bath. I bet they aer now $10k - $12K

cdskier

That doesn't necessarily surprise me. But if that's the case, what's driving the current labor issue in the valley?

Could see it being a test but they also normally have WC training their for a few teams and Elbow is a good trail for that.

That thought went through my mind too...but if they don't feel it is favorable weather for making snow at LP (i.e. maybe concerned it will be washed out from Nicole's remnants), then I would think that same concern would apply to ME even to try to get Elbow open for WC training.